Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for thickness planer advice. Ive always had access to a 15 inch Jet thickness planer.Recently with some remodel work ive realized that i need a portable one. Ive heard bad stuff about alot of the brands but im looking for firsthand advice. Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My Delta self destructed a short time ago, and I looked into a lot of them , pro's and con's. Tool re-views etc.
I will be purchasing the Dewalt four poster when I need it.
You can get spiral cutters, but I'm just going to get the plain blades.
I think that the built -in fan will be a bonus on site.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Delta self destructed a short time ago, and I looked into a lot of them , pro's and con's. Tool re-views etc.
I will be purchasing the Dewalt four poster when I need it.
You can get spiral cutters, but I'm just going to get the plain blades.
I think that the built -in fan will be a bonus on site.

My Neighbor has that four poster and after 300 or so board feet of pine his four post get gummed up with the chain that raise and lowers.Its a quick clean out with the 4 screws holding to top on.His blower on that is crazy powerful.shoots the chips about 8 feet.Its nice but its about 95 pounds. was it and older or newer delta?

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
I've got the DW734. Works awesome hooked up to a festool CT26 with a dust deputy cyclone on top of it. Never had any issues with it other than the rear dust chute being flimsy.

I will however be buying a dw735 with a spiral cutter shortly. I don't find the blades on my DW734 last terribly long, and they are rather pricey around these parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the DW734. Works awesome hooked up to a festool CT26 with a dust deputy cyclone on top of it. Never had any issues with it other than the rear dust chute being flimsy.

I will however be buying a dw735 with a spiral cutter shortly. I don't find the blades on my DW734 last terribly long, and they are rather pricey around these parts.
Thanks for the heads up on the blades. I have a sprial cutterhead on a jet planer.couldnt justify putting that kind of cutterhead on a portable tho...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've mostly used Dewalt portables and have had no real issues. Odds are the straight blades will be good enough unless you plan on running highly figured material, as long as they are kept sharp.
We put helical heads on the jointer and planer in the shop I'm in now and it made a HUGE difference both in what came out the other end as well as the noise. These are old Whitney and Oliver machines, so not really an apples to apples comparison.
I'd be interested in what kind of a difference the helical heads make in a portable planer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've mostly used Dewalt portables and have had no real issues. Odds are the straight blades will be good enough unless you plan on running highly figured material, as long as they are kept sharp.
We put helical heads on the jointer and planer in the shop I'm in now and it made a HUGE difference both in what came out the other end as well as the noise. These are old Whitney and Oliver machines, so not really an apples to apples comparison.
I'd be interested in what kind of a difference the helical heads make in a portable planer.
With how dewalt portables are screamers it would nice to see a noise reduction, Ive been looking at a helical head for the jointer lately.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
Yea, I dunno, I'm tired of throwing the blades away. Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. Good news is that you can flip them once, and changing them is pretty bloody quick.

Forgot to mention, the DW734 suffers from some noticeable snipe if you use the stock infeed/outfeed tables. I copied a setup that a youtuber by the name of 'halfinchshy' built. works excellently. Just search his videos for snipe, and you'll find it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. .
It does take a LOT more time, and you need to be fairly meticulous about it. If the area where the blades are seated are not totally clean, they are likely to break when you tighten them. Or worse, when the machine is running. On the plus side, when you notice a chipped area, you can just rotate the effected blades.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I dunno, I'm tired of throwing the blades away. Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. Good news is that you can flip them once, and changing them is pretty bloody quick.

Forgot to mention, the DW734 suffers from some noticeable snipe if you use the stock infeed/outfeed tables. I copied a setup that a youtuber by the name of 'halfinchshy' built. works excellently. Just search his videos for snipe, and you'll find it.
I have that same infeed/outfeed table on an old ryobi 10 inch .works but the blades are 45 for a set of hss blades single sided...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I still have my Ryobi 10". It works well. 20 yrs old
I'm trying to sell it for $50. though.
It only costs $10 bucks to sharpen the blades.
Can't hook it up to my dust collector.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The DeWalt 735 is a great little planer. If you don't want to spring for helical cutterhead, try the HSS blades from Infinity Cutting Tools. Vastly better!

I use mine mostly in the shop, but when I take it with me, I have a dust collection hood also from DeWalt. Basically it's a 4" hose with a fabric hood that stretches over a trash can. Works really well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts