Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poor painter, alone again.

Benny the dog has gone to work with my customer and now I have to talk to myself for the day.
Nobody to hang out with at lunch time.
Nobody to alert me when the mailman is here.

What a letdown.

No man should have to paint shoe molding alone.

So, what am I listening to today?

·
Registered
10,825 Posts

Benny the dog has gone to work with my customer and now I have to talk to myself for the day.

What a letdown.

Are you familiar with the Hidden Brain podcasts? Or LeShow.

·
Registered
11,346 Posts
I wish I could bring my buddy. He's too clingy I can't get anything done with him he won't hang

It's great if you can. My buddy works in a automotive parts distribution business. Between the warehouse and office maybe 70 employees. One of secretaries brings her dog. Anytime I pop in to say hi the dog is cruising around the place. It's great.

·
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Back in 08 I lived in San Diego, during the big wildfires. My best bud lived right on the line of the fire spread. He was coming in to the office, but didn't want to leave the dog at home, so for a short week we had an office dog and it ruled.
Completely changed the vibe in the workplace. It was probably the best week we ever had there.
Sometimes you need to roll back from the desk and pet a dog, man.

Mark, listening to the current(Vegas) episode of Hidden Brain.
Good one to get me hooked. They're taking about themes I think about a lot, especially at work, since I work for the EXACT social class they're taking about.

·
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, I'd you haven't listened to the Hidden Brain ep "Close Enough" ..... don't!

Waaaaay too close to home. Ha

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Mark, I'd you haven't listened to the Hidden Brain ep "Close Enough" ..... don't!

Waaaaay too close to home. Ha
Too late. That was another good one.

If that was the one that talked about "parasocial" relationships, I'm grateful for it. It helped me kick some youtube habits.

·
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's taking about the idea of being either sucked into watching others rather than doing ourselves.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,306 Posts

What a letdown.

Geeze, what a sad sack. I work alone nearly every day. I enjoy time with myself. And yes, I talk to myself.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,306 Posts
Only intelligent one in the room :whistling.

I just keep telling myself that.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Unless it's a crazy ankle biter or a runner, I also enjoy the HO's dog(s) hanging out with me. Haven't had a good one in a few months...just cats recently.

So cool to have a fun distraction on the job once in awhile.

So many memorable dogs over the years that we sometimes call the jobs by the dogs name instead of the customers last name.

"We'll go to Scooby's house and trim then go work on Chloe's kitchen" and everyone knows what job we mean.

Dogs are awesome!

·
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of my first jobs in the biz was Eddie's house.
Eddie was a young St. Bernard and the single largest animal I've ever interacted with.
If Eddie jumped up to greet you, he would put his paws on your shoulders and be your much taller dance partner.
Eddie's job is also memorable for being the only time I've ever seen the results of a full gallon of paint dropped from the top rung of an extension ladder.
Truly impressive coverage.

·
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I listened to three episodes of Hidden Brain while recaulking a bathtub, which I have officially decided I'm never doing again.
No matter what they're paying, it's not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
One of my first jobs in the biz was Eddie's house.
Eddie was a young St. Bernard and the single largest animal I've ever interacted with.
If Eddie jumped up to greet you, he would put his paws on your shoulders and be your much taller dance partner.
Eddie's job is also memorable for being the only time I've ever seen the results of a full gallon of paint dropped from the top rung of an extension ladder.
Truly impressive coverage.
:thumbsup:

Scooby was a brown lab and a master bath remodel for him. My least favorite was Bruce.....back around 2008 we did a kitchen remodel for him and everyone on the job wanted to punt him like a football. (Careless owners let him loose every day and bit nearly everyone there including me a few times) When they did restrain him, he barked every second of every day at us. We were there for 5 days.:censored:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts