Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aint been doing sod all today except watch these design shows for your home. Design on a dime, Design to sell, Holmes on Homes and so on. Well to start with nice and early this morning Mike holmes was doing a bathroom remodel. He's honest about how much things cost and what they involve and how they are ment to be done but on far to early for most people to see. But for the rest of the day all i have seen are these other shows that really do damage to our priceing. Man they can do full house remodels for amounts like $3000 in a week and do a whole bathroom includeing fixtures for $1000. Whats the deal. No wonder so many people expect stuff to be done so cheap and wonder why it takes you so long. They do a full bathroom remodel in a 40 min show and dont show all the hard work that went into doing it then show them doing the second fix and it's all been done and built in less than 40 mins and at the great cost of $1000. WTF:censored: i couldnt even buy the fixtures and materials for that. The only people making money from these stupid shows are the hardware stores.

Sorry for the rant but these shows are a joke.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I talked to one woman in Terrace BC that claimed that if she ever wanted to do some home improvement, the only person that she would hire was Mike Holmes, because he seems to know what he's doing on his television show. Good luck with that...

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
I just wrapped up one season as an on air GC for one of these shows:shifty:.

Judge me if you want, but it was a 6 month contract, they paid all expenses in addition to a great salary. Tons of perks.

Yeah so I sold out. The show is there for one reason only...to keep people watching long enough to sell the ad time. The viewers aren't informed and almost everything we do is "fluff". The quoted prices at the end of the show are not realistic. They only calculate materials that I personally bought...screws, drywall, wood, glue, etc.etc.

So if we did a bathroom reno, the marble counter, fixtures, lighting, tiles, etc. etc. were all "donations" from contracted suppliers (what the industry calls "contra") and they get promo during the show or at the credits.

There may have been 4k worth of fixtures...but you'll never see that at the final tally...you only see "Construction cost- $500". The whole premise of the show is "Look, we can do all this to your house for only x$x.

Get it?

Yes it is misleading and bad for our industry. Do you think the production company cares? Do you know how much they get in ad sales?

Our show does 26 eps/season. Each ep. is a week long and we move from one house to the next. Each ep. costs the production around 100k. Do the math. Then they sell that season to the network. By the time it's aired, we're talking well over 5 mill in ad sales/season. You can't stop them, it's business.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ALL TV advertising = gimmicks = tricks = lying = deceptions = cheats = hiding = magic = etc... Need I say more...?? :whistling

People don't believe in TV hype... still they hope people just get on these shows and watch and get hook to it. Their purpose is to gain INSTANT MASSIVE show viewers for ads revenue, but not their belief ...thereafter!

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Actually, as far as volume of work is concerned, the low prices that these shows quote probably work to create more work. If the people watching the show know right off the bat that it's going to be 20-30k for a particular job, they won't even get interested. If they hear 1-2k, they get interested, and start looking for bids. When they actually get the bids, of course, it's sticker shock, but by this time, they have all these ideas floating around in their head, and they are more likely to pay for the work than if they never had the idea to begin with. Of course, you are going to have even more tire kickers looking for bids, and DIY'ers that will make home crapo and blows wealthy, but as we well know, DIY'ers also result in work after they screw something up and need a pro to fix it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Holmes on Homes
I'm going to agreed with your post except for Holmes on Homes.

Have you ever seen an episode? All he does it find people that were givin stupidly low quotes then got completely screwed and then his team fixes them properly, and he explains the REAL cost.

Ontop of that every episode starts and ends with "don't go for the low quote, ask about insurace, ask about licences"

Although I don't give a hoot about Holmes himself I think he protrays the message of "don't hire a cheap hack" VERY well.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to agreed with your post except for Holmes on Homes.

Have you ever seen an episode? All he does it find people that were givin stupidly low quotes then got completely screwed and then his team fixes them properly, and he explains the REAL cost.

Ontop of that every episode starts and ends with "don't go for the low quote, ask about insurace, ask about licences"

Although I don't give a hoot about Holmes himself I think he protrays the message of "don't hire a cheap hack" VERY well.

Yeah Holmes on homes is fine. But it would be nice if he was on in the main viewing time. He done a bathroom today that cost the customer $16k for just labour and i could have done the same job for 1/3rd that price and it would have been done proper. They proper hacked the bathroom up. More shows like his should be shown so the customer knows the reason why our rates are what they are.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
I started a thread awhile back with the same issues.

It seems that these shows are a double edged sword. They do get the phones to ring, but the HO's have unrealistic expectations of us sometimes.

My favorite is when you show up for demo and they seem surprised that there are no sledge hammers involved unless you have to take out a CI tub or certain floor tile.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a job with a customer who watches all those dam shows and i walked in and started to put down all my sheets and she was like what are they for! I said so that i dont walk mess all throught the house. She then said they dont do that on TV :blink:.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I find all the DIY shows to be insulting. Shows like 10 grand in your hand and the handful of others that make it seem like anyone homeowner no nothing can do anything and everything with just a little no how. And wow look at all the money you can save doin things yourself. In 15 years i think ive seen 3 DIY jobs that made me say wow this looks pretty damn good.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I find all the DIY shows to be insulting. Shows like 10 grand in your hand
Ok, 10 grand in your hand, that guy is a total sell out. He does some other show were he runs a construction company with his brother or friend, then turns around and is showing homeowners how to "keep money out of the contractors hands and in their pockets".

I hope everyone who watches his shows apply his logic to his real business and he finds himself belly up.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Ok, 10 grand in your hand, that guy is a total sell out. He does some other show were he runs a construction company with his brother or friend, then turns around and is showing homeowners how to "keep money out of the contractors hands and in their pockets".

I hope everyone who watches his shows apply his logic to his real business and he finds himself belly up.

Haha my thoughts exactly. Not 6 months prior to this show him and his brother or something had the next up and coming design build firm in NYC. Everytime he says that phrase it makes my blood boil. I wont lie though as annoyed as i get by some of those shows i still find myself watching them, except 10 grand in your hand. :clap:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Haha my thoughts exactly. Not 6 months prior to this show him and his brother or something had the next up and coming design build firm in NYC. Everytime he says that phrase it makes my blood boil. I wont lie though as annoyed as i get by some of those shows i still find myself watching them, except 10 grand in your hand. :clap:
yea, I still watch some of them, mainly because I find my wife has taken control of the remote before I get to it.

even she called the guy a sell-out first time she seen the show.

·
Sean
5,534 Posts

Agreed - major sell out & it's amazing that all the tools the HO need are available without a rental charge & that the dumpster cost is mysteriously not accounted for in the supposed demo savings

FYI - other show is Under Construction & the company is called Design Tech

1 - 15 of 15 Posts