Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had a bad winter in eastern PA. The ground is frozen pretty deep. I've been trying to figure out a good way to help thaw out some ground for concrete without power (some sites don't have power yet). My idea involves thermal siphoning to pump hot water through a hose, covered by a tarp or blankets and laying on the ground. It's easier to explain with a couple pictures. I was wondering if anyone would know if an idea like this would work. Here's a youtube video that helps explain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRLVCJ1olA
Thank you for any advice.
?-In #1 where would the best place to place the tank?- inlet,outlet,middle
?-would 3/4 or 1/2 tubing be better

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frost is deep about 2' in some spots. No digging is needed, need to pour some basement and garage floors. Need some grading and stone in the garages, basements are pretty much ready to pour. Rough winter here for construction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was kind of thinking. What if I were to add a hydraulic ram pump to it. Or is this not a good solution for what in trying to do. I was kind of just toying around with this whole idea just to see if it could be done

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I might still try the idea but without all the hose. Just to see if I can do it and how how much heat pumping water into the steel drum would put off. If I'm thinking right it should radiate some heat.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
aib1015, Buy your local gravediggers a couple of beers, Listen to them, No need to reinvent the wheel. make a copy or rent their rig x2 or X4 and just use a 50-100k BTU weed burner discharging under the TWO LAYERS of tin covering the rebar tines that speed the heat transfer, move assembly every X hours, cover thawed ground.

Hillbilly method, buy a clunker that runs(old company truck) set it up on blocks(remove driven tires) buy a couple hundred feet of hot water hose unhook radiator, install garden hose plenums instead. run exhaust flex hose to help heat. Set cruise control, start buying gasoline.... Cheaper than ground heat trailer maybe? Fill hoses with RV antifreeze???

Run the numbers on winter work, Do the job that has the most $$ for heating the frost, i.e the 3 story addition before the dog house... sell the heat bill as an earlier finish/use date....

Next year insulate your mid winter late spring earth work prior to frost and look like a genisus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.