Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pro
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from those that have implemented thermal imaging cameras into their work.

We recently used one I borrowed to find burried water lines under concrete. I'd like to get one myself now.

Looking at a few brands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts

·
Pro
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the phone adapter from Flir is not as robust as the handheld devices, although likely will still be useful for some.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts
Just throwing out options.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
I had the one that connects to your phone, had constant issues that Flir could not fix. Their solution, don't send it back anymore we cant fix it and you can't get your money back because it over a year, They had it for a total of 7 months trying to fix it.
Never again

·
Sean
5,537 Posts
Look into Infrared Training | The Snell Group - as I do recall they had numerous units you could play with to see which you liked best. With that Flir & Fluke are generally the top 2 choices - me I went with Fluke. A cell phone version won't be as good as a dedicated unit but is good for quick scans. I have also played with units integrated with other features (moisture meter) & some little clunky cell phone look alike - not a fan. Definitely like a true handheld that can be adjusted as needed.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,215 Posts
I bought a Fluke Ti-25 when they first came out. The intended use was improving air sealing and insulation in remodeling.

You can shoot the entire outside of a building fast, but going over the resulting images takes time if you're being careful. Ait leaks are details, so I only do those from the inside and fairly close. The more sensor pixels the better.

I've also used it to find moisture in walls and ceilings, tweek tire pressures, locate animals at night (not really designed for this).

This has been a reliable unit. Like everything battery powered, the battery pack does become weak and the unit has to be taken apart to put a new battery pack in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts