Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hung a therma tru with the vinyl clad jambs yesterday......Well mostly hung anyways. Have it tacked in until I get a resolution.

The door unit had sidelights both sides so I really couldn't hide any screws in order to fasten. Any one have a resource for a vinyl or plastic plug that would fill the holes in the sides? I have a few different plugs that I've had left over from various other projects, but nothing matches the color very well.

Picked it up and told the dealer...."Good looking door, how the hell do I fasten it and cover the holes" Therma tru's recommendation was to fill them with a caulk or silicone.:eek: You would think they would send installation plugs in the package as the plugs for the grids.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My little daughter likes stickers. I would take some of these and decorate that door a little.

Another option would be to skim coat it with cat hair.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My little daughter likes stickers. I would take some of these and decorate that door a little.

Another option would be to skim coat it with cat hair.
My granddaughter also like stickers...don't think I like that option either.

I did forget to add that the sidelight jambs are white.....but not really a true white, making them harder to match.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You might get some of the jamb material from a defective door or whatever and a plug cutter and make your own plugs.

I've purchased square drive #2 screw caps from McFeeley's. They had a wide range. You'll have to leave the screw head flush with the surface and of course it has to be a #2 square drive. You'll be able to see the screw cap, but it may be your best option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Andersen - Dashwood distributes Thermatru doors in Canada
and they come with installation hole plugs, color matched to the cladding.....
although many contractors lose them.

Al
Andersen - Dashwood service

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I did one of these about a year ago and it had nail fins that were out and beyond the vinyl brickmoulding. I can't remember exactly how I attached it. I know I did not rely on the nail fin alone. I am thinking a couple screws up through the head jamb in the door, and maybe drilled pilot holes along the inside edge of the jamb along the sidelights then 10d or 12d finish through those holes.
I do remember that I hated that door and promised myself I wouldn't install them again. Jeld-Wen at least gives pre drilled holes in the jambs, star screws, and plastic caps to go over the holes. BTW, I hate those doors too.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to come back and say thanks for the tips and tricks. Ended up going with Jamb jacks that "used" to be distibuted with the therma trus. Color wasn't a spot on match, but looked better than a dab of caulk. Just about shat when that was the answer I got. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.