Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the 1 month mark of dealing with Therma-tru. I bought 4 pre hung doors from them. 1 single, 3 double doors. All 3 double doors are riddled with problems. I found out that Therma-tru does not build jambs, or pre hang doors. That is done at another facility. The ORE-PAC rep came to my site, blamed us, used awesome car salesman like double speak and left. He sent his "techs" out to fix. The cut so much off the 2 doors out back that the cores are showing on top to get their gaps. Then they ripped the astragal sides down 1/4" to get the doors to close without hitting. The doors still drag the adjustable sill a little while opening.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I'm an electrician, not a carpenter. So my experience is basically zero. I hired the initial door install out to my friend Mike, Who is a great carpenter and GC in Astoria. He got the single door in quick, perfect. Then uncrated the other 3 and told me no way...
PS one of the back double doors had been chiseled for backing plates by a 10 year old before I got them. We didn't see that until way later. dumb I know...

2 of the doors are sitting in my shop now. Therma-tru does not want to take them back, or give me new doors. I am ordering Milgard doors tomorrow. Hopefully they are better.

I have not paid the door supplier yet. I told them until I was happy with the doors, I am holding the money. Do you think they can sue me? Have I made any mistakes other than trying to return them on day 1 instead of letting the rep talk me into fixing them???

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I find we always gotta get creative with those.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Quite common for Ore-Pac to suck...

It's faster & more convenient just to build a new jamb set rather than take the time to deal with the rep...

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
So the company that supplied them are the ones that came out and made all of these mods as well? I'd tell them that the doors dont meet your minimum level of quality so they can come pick them up. That, or get you new doors that aren't junk.
I'm not Therma tru's biggest fan, but it does seem hard to blame this on them as opposed to the assembly/finishing company.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Not sure how ThermaTru is handled your way...OrePac??
Here the mill shop gets components and is responsible for assembling them to the finished product and shipping them to supplier.

You have a set of pre-hung double doors and before you start to work with them you should be able to see if they have been assembled correctly. If each hinge side is tight to the jamb and they are rubbing at the astragal then the jamb width was cut too short.

Years ago I used to run into the problem that the millwork shop would tighten the adjustable sills down as tight as they could get them and then make their hinge cuts in the jamb so low the door slab would bind on the sill. No adjusting them because the sill was already cranked down too tight as it was. After having rep come out multiple times and having to replace the units it seems to have finally sunk in with them. Now the doors come with the sill set at about half way....you have room to raise or lower it as needed.

I have more problems with JeldWen's continuous sill double sidelight doors than ThermaTru. doors. They come in with the slabs already rubbing the jambs. I just had one last week where I had to remove all the screws from the head jamb and all the screws on the side jambs that fastened to the sidelight slabs. Then I cut a spreader board and stuck it in the jamb and re-screwed everything back in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts