Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I submitted a bid for some light (very light) commercial remodeling today, I had priced it reasonably I thought ($4200), but was told that I was too high and they had other bids around $2000.

Also submitted a bid today to another customer for a kitchen remodel of sorts, which I priced fairly high for what it is ($16,000), and the bid was accepted on the spot. Owner then tells me I should charge more.

Guess the lesson is bid it high...? There's no pattern that I can see.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
ClaytonR said:
So I submitted a bid for some light (very light) commercial remodeling today, I had priced it reasonably I thought ($4200), but was told that I was too high and they had other bids around $2000. Also submitted a bid today to another customer for a kitchen remodel of sorts, which I priced fairly high for what it is ($16,000), and the bid was accepted on the spot. Owner then tells me I should charge more. Guess the lesson is bid it high...? There's no pattern that I can see.
. Tell them a change order is on the way . Which will reflect higher kitchen cost . Lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
I could never price out commercial, completely different animal for me.

no one can say if your 16k for the kitchen is low or high except you at the end of the project.

·
Registered
Custom
13,222 Posts
So I submitted a bid for some light (very light) commercial remodeling today, I had priced it reasonably I thought ($4200), but was told that I was too high and they had other bids around $2000.

Also submitted a bid today to another customer for a kitchen remodel of sorts, which I priced fairly high for what it is ($16,000), and the bid was accepted on the spot. Owner then tells me I should charge more.

Guess the lesson is bid it high...? There's no pattern that I can see.
And that's the way it is... your bid for the commercial was what you needed, as was the kitchen. As long as you are pricing what you need to be in business, that is the most important thing...

Just because they tell you they have bids around $2K doesn't mean they aren't just trying to use a phantom hammer on your prices to put pressure on you to lower them... at least you didn't say you dropped your price... :thumbsup:

Not everyone is your customer... one of the hardest lessons to learn in our business...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Know your numbers and be confident. People are different so don't take it personal.
You can quote the exact same project for the exact same price and hear anything from "Get off my property NOW you scam artist!" to "Wow, this is the deal of a lifetime!".

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourcornerhome said:
Know your numbers and be confident. People are different so don't take it personal. You can quote the exact same project for the exact same price and hear anything from "Get off my property NOW you scam artist!" to "Wow, this is the deal of a lifetime!".
Exactly my point. You just never know. I quit worrying about it a long time ago. It was just funny in the same day to get two such opposite reactions...

And actually, a couple times when someone has called back offended at my high price and I just told them that's my price, sorry, they've called back a week or two later and told me they want me to go ahead and do the work.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It's sorta the same issue with my subs on different projects.

I'm not high volume, and basically only have several subs that I don't price out, my electrician. (He's just very reliable, fair priced, and dead-on honest). (My roofer is pretty good also, but on different roofs I'll have to double check.) (Just lost my reliable HVAC, retired and closed business)

So, I'm often dealing with new subs, and I get quotes all over hell's half acre. I'm talking in some instances 2 and 3 hundred percent differences.

Pretty sure it is not a quality issue, as I call out the job in detail... maybe sometimes it's just their own schedule, but I doubt that as I can usually be flexable with my scheduling (especially on my own flips).

It just constantly amazes me the varience in "routine" job bids.... I'm not talking a remodel project (that's what I do), I'm talking rocking/painting exterior/HVAC install/roofing that is well called/speced out.

Just a reflection

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
And actually, a couple times when someone has called back offended at my high price and I just told them that's my price, sorry, they've called back a week or two later and told me they want me to go ahead and do the work.
"Ohhhhh, sorry. My price is only good for 7 days. I'll be happy to come re-bid the project based on current material and labor prices. How about tomorrow around 4?"

IOW.....

"I'll have to come and give you a price that's more 'offensive' than the last one and see what happens.....don't take so GO*#!MN long to decide next time!! "

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I gave a bid on a interior paint job and the Lady gave me a shocked look and I'm thinking that I bid it to high. Then she says" you got the job",
"We would have paid you twice that amount" :rolleyes:

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
Just do your best to price any job high enough that you will be happy when you are done.

Such a simple concept. Not always so easy.

Ever been on a job where the little voice in your head kept saying, "You should have charged more."? Of course.

How about the voice that says, "You should have charged less."? :laughing:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
You're right. It doesn't make no sense.

We have quite a few houses around here that are the same design. I bid on two different ones about two weeks apart in two different neighborhoods.

First one tells me my price is much higher than other estimates. Second guy calls me and asks how I can do the job so much cheaper than everyone else. Same price for both roofs.

Ended up getting both the jobs though.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
You're right. It doesn't make no sense.

We have quite a few houses around here that are the same design. I bid on two different ones about two weeks apart in two different neighborhoods.

First one tells me my price is much higher than other estimates. Second guy calls me and asks how I can do the job so much cheaper than everyone else. Same price for both roofs.

Ended up getting both the jobs though.
So out of six bids youre in the middle of all of them. Combined with good sales you closed 100%. This is how its done noobs...

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ready to roll said:
I gave a bid on a interior paint job and the Lady gave me a shocked look and I'm thinking that I bid it to high. Then she says" you got the job", "We would have paid you twice that amount" :rolleyes:
That's handy info, after you've given the price. Lol

Once I quoted a small front porch replacement at $4500 or so. I did the job, and the cost of materials plus my framer and painter was right at $2000. I didn't touch a thing, it took two days of me driving by a couple times, and I made over $2000. I was very pleased.

Then when I'm done the owners were very happy, and told me they had been quoted $12,000 and $13,000 by two other contractors, and that they had decided if my bid was comparable they were going with me.

[email protected]%}*!!! Over $6,000 left on the table....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The other side of the proverbial sword. So much talk/ closed topics on this site about not sharing costs, about contractors needing to know their costs as no two contractors overhead or rates or speed is the same.

With that being said it should make sense prices are all over the place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts