Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I have to pull a sub floor, there always seems to be a piece of the plywood that runs underneath something that isn't coming out, like a bathtub or kitchen cabinets.
I usually use a recip. saw and hack away along that edge and pull up the haggard, splintery mess bit by bit.
I'm sure someone has a better way to do this?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Just hang on, the ones I've used are designed with the blade about half an inch below the base of the saw. So if you want to cut out 3/4" you have to hold the saw at an angle, and by doing that, the thing will kick back every five seconds. Don't let a novice use it, one guy I was working with had it put a big rip in his pants from kick back. You can rent those too if you don't need them very often.

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
I would love to have one of the above fine tools...but I've had very good success with a cordless dewalt sawzall with a long (thin blade)-it has a 4in1 chuck allowing blade to be put in various positions. doesn't get perfectly flush, but for many situations it works very well (such as cutting jambs for hardwood flooring installation)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How about investing in an arbortech saw?

http://www.arbortechusa.com/

I'm just hurting to hear if they are as cool as the videos indicate...Looks like a really mean Multimaster.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That Arbortech AS160 is one sweet tool! :thumbsup:

The price is a bit steep, though. I searched around, and it looks like about $1k!!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
WOW, christmas is coming, that thing is awsome, GMOD:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Tell your wife you want this for New Years too:

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/airboard/

How cool would you be riding to the jobsite on your own personal hovercraft? Truck? Trailer? Not necessary when you have style like this!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've never used a wood blade on a grinder is it easy to control? Grinders spin so fast sometimes using on for delicate work can be like hearding cats.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Found this comment on the Bosch Fine cut & it has me sold on it- It will be on my list also- Thanks Angus

Flush Cutting" means the blade literally slides on the surface and cuts protruding wood to that level - e.g., I've used it on many a stud poking out too far. Of course, you can cut above the "surface", as when shortening door-jambs because you are now installing ceramic tile. In such cases, this little gem of a tool is a God-send. I'm not aware of a competing electric tool, and although a manual saw could work in a pinch, this saw does a much better and faster job. The flush-cutting blades are quickly reversible, so you can cut right to left or left to right; depending on which is more convenient. Accessories include other types of blades, with rougher teeth or for ferrous metal (aluminum, brass, copper) cutting.

The 1640VS has no tool case.
The 1640VSK includes a [fair]case, a [lousy] miter "box" accessory, and several excellent clamps.

The saw is mainly for remodelers or serious do-it-yourself types, since it's a speciality saw you won't use every day. When you need it, however, you'll be mighty glad you own one. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts