Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I just got a pair of the Jobman service pants, 2321 I think. Whichever ones META posted.

First impressions, they are much more lightweight and breathable than my Carhartts. They also don't feel as tough, like they would be easier to tear or put holes in. I also don't think the material will hold up to sparks.

The thigh pockets seem really nice, everything I was missing from my carhartts pockets. The front pockets are okay, but definitely smaller and not as good as my carhartts. The kneepads are going to take a little getting used to but after I wear them enough I'm sure they'll be fine.

So yeah, I like em. As long as my durability concerns are unfounded I can see them becoming my go-to pants. We'll see. If I can get a year out of them I'll be pretty happy.

·
Pro
8,664 Posts
I just got a pair of the Jobman service pants, 2321 I think. Whichever ones META posted.

First impressions, they are much more lightweight and breathable than my Carhartts. They also don't feel as tough, like they would be easier to tear or put holes in. I also don't think the material will hold up to sparks.

The thigh pockets seem really nice, everything I was missing from my carhartts pockets. The front pockets are okay, but definitely smaller and not as good as my carhartts. The kneepads are going to take a little getting used to but after I wear them enough I'm sure they'll be fine.

So yeah, I like em. As long as my durability concerns are unfounded I can see them becoming my go-to pants. We'll see. If I can get a year out of them I'll be pretty happy.
2321 is the lighter pant. Are you using additional knee pads or just going with the stock reinforcement they have?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
2321 is the lighter pant. Are you using additional knee pads or just going with the stock reinforcement they have?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I bought a pair of the basic knee pads with the pants. That's what I'm using at the moment. I didn't want something too bulky because I knew these wouldn't replace standalone kneepads anyways.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
So I have an update on the service pants. I still love the pocket layout. But the kneepads aren't working out for me.

They don't play well with actual strap on kneepads. My current project I'm on my knees a lot, I knew going into the pants/pads thing thing they wouldn't replace standalone kneepads. And if they did they'd be very uncomfortable and heavy anytime I wasn't kneeling.

So I'd rather just put on kneepads anytime I'm spending more than a small amount of time on my knees. Not to mention the pads in the pants were a little warm and uncomfortable. I could live with that though.

So seeing as how the pads pockets were one of the the reasons I got those, I am probably just going back to my carpenter style blue jeans. I think I'll try the Wranglers, of course I like my Carhartts and Berne has some options that look nice as well. Cheaper, seemingly tougher, fits in well anywhere I go. Big plus for those too is I can use them for grinding and welding (as soon as we get a welder). And blue jeans go great with my new hat too!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i have mascot ,snickers and blaclader . they must have knee pockets . i am in a warmer climate ,i choose a lighter weight model .the flappy ear pockets mess with wearing my bags so i do get them anymore .the flappy pockets were super doing house crawls though . Snickers cost me by far the most .Well made but the pockets are terrible .Stuff falls out ,like my truck keys .I will not get another . I have a bunch of Mascots ,they have worn well . they are loaded with iron on patches .none of these pants brands are designed to handle heat from pipe swets or grinding sparks . My favorite by far are the blaklader ,the model i have have super knee space .i wear two knee supports and i shove knee pads in and still plenty of room .the knee room is real important in the heat .they stick to you . with out a dought i would say get them . when i walk in a supply yard you know i am in the trades not a weekend warrior or part time handy man . hope that i talk a few people into trying these out . having built in knee pads is something once you get you really appreciate .

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
19,779 Posts
i have mascot ,snickers and blaclader . they must have knee pockets . i am in a warmer climate ,i choose a lighter weight model .the flappy ear pockets mess with wearing my bags so i do get them anymore .the flappy pockets were super doing house crawls though . Snickers cost me by far the most .Well made but the pockets are terrible .Stuff falls out ,like my truck keys .I will not get another . I have a bunch of Mascots ,they have worn well . they are loaded with iron on patches .none of these pants brands are designed to handle heat from pipe swets or grinding sparks . My favorite by far are the blaklader ,the model i have have super knee space .i wear two knee supports and i shove knee pads in and still plenty of room .the knee room is real important in the heat .they stick to you . with out a dought i would say get them . when i walk in a supply yard you know i am in the trades not a weekend warrior or part time handy man . hope that i talk a few people into trying these out . having built in knee pads is something once you get you really appreciate .
I have worn out plenty of Blacklader pants, I love them but a little too thick for the hot weather I'm in. They always wore out in the same place.
Product Textile Sleeve Grey Baby & toddler clothing
Shorts Sleeve Waist Grey Sportswear

Reactions: asevereid

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
So I have an update on the service pants. I still love the pocket layout. But the kneepads aren't working out for me.

They don't play well with actual strap on kneepads. My current project I'm on my knees a lot, I knew going into the pants/pads thing thing they wouldn't replace standalone kneepads. And if they did they'd be very uncomfortable and heavy anytime I wasn't kneeling.

So I'd rather just put on kneepads anytime I'm spending more than a small amount of time on my knees. Not to mention the pads in the pants were a little warm and uncomfortable. I could live with that though.

So seeing as how the pads pockets were one of the the reasons I got those, I am probably just going back to my carpenter style blue jeans. I think I'll try the Wranglers, of course I like my Carhartts and Berne has some options that look nice as well. Cheaper, seemingly tougher, fits in well anywhere I go. Big plus for those too is I can use them for grinding and welding (as soon as we get a welder). And blue jeans go great with my new hat too!
I came to a similar conclusion after spending a lot of money on a lots of pants.

I don't need knee pads all the time, so having them all the time is wasted bulk, and the pants that use them are far too heavy.

I prefer to just strap on a pair of pads as needed each day and keep my pants light and comfortable.

Reactions: FixItFarmer

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
not all the pants they offer are heavy/thick . They have different models for different climates .
Also all brands I have used knee pads go in and out easily .I put them in when i start work and remove them for my ride home . Both my snikers and mascot load from the top .The blaklader slip in from below .Thought i would not like this but they turned out to be my preferred method .I like not having the saw dust collecting flap on top of the knee pad pocket .

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Being able to slip the knee pads in and out easily would be a plus. But there is still the issue of the fabric not handling heat, as well as high prices. I'm not spending $80-$100 and over on a pair of work pants. Someone said it in this thread, even if they last long enough to make it worth the price, they'll be super stained and ugly by the time they're done.

And I don't really care what my lumberyard thinks about my pants.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
19,779 Posts
This one is good for hot weather,, The pockets come off and snap back on. If you sign up for the E-mailers they go on sale and last a long time.
These pads work very good.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts