Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'll probably give it a shot, those jobman service pants seem like a good way to test the waters. See if I like the kneepad pockets, as well as the pocket layout. If not, I'll probably end up getting some of those volleyball style knee pads for my carhartts or riggs if I end up liking those.
I've found too, that different tasks require different pads.

For day to day stuff, where I'm just up and down a lot, I use the cheap light pads from Lowes, and we trash them regularly, I wear them when we place concrete too so they get the **** kicked out of them, they are disposable.

An hour or two without getting up, I'll grab the Toughbuilt floor layers pads, they are good for short stints on the ground and have lots of stability.

If I'm going to be on the ground all day long, I'll use the Fento pads (sold as Traxx in the US). They are much larger, and not really great for walking around in, but so much more comfortable for long hauls while kneeling.

Far and away I end up with very light pads on while doing daily tasks, that way I can be up and down quickly without worrying about my knees, and I can easily shed them for tasks that don't require them, like placing wall forms or something.

I just felt incredibly "heavy" with pads always attached to me, and it wasn't worth it for a sub par pad for most tasks when I can strap on something much better that leaves me felling better at the end of the day.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I've found too, that different tasks require different pads.

For day to day stuff, where I'm just up and down a lot, I use the cheap light pads from Lowes, and we trash them regularly, I wear them when we place concrete too so they get the **** kicked out of them, they are disposable.

An hour or two without getting up, I'll grab the Toughbuilt floor layers pads, they are good for short stints on the ground and have lots of stability.

If I'm going to be on the ground all day long, I'll use the Fento pads (sold as Traxx in the US). They are much larger, and not really great for walking around in, but so much more comfortable for long hauls while kneeling.

Far and away I end up with very light pads on while doing daily tasks, that way I can be up and down quickly without worrying about my knees, and I can easily shed them for tasks that don't require them, like placing wall forms or something.

I just felt incredibly "heavy" with pads always attached to me, and it wasn't worth it for a sub par pad for most tasks when I can strap on something much better that leaves me felling better at the end of the day.
Makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I'll find what works for me eventually. I do find it interesting how many of us haven't found the "perfect" pair of work pants. You'd think eventually you would find something you like and stick with it. It probably comes down to how many options there are and the tendency for companies to cheap out over time.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It depends on how you view things. I'm consistently looking for better ways to do things, more efficiency.

I feel the same about my PPE, I want to check as many boxes as possible. Comfort, safety, usability, durability, etc.

With most choices you have to weigh which options you want to favor, because you typically can't have it all.

Personally, as time goes on, I favor comfort and durability the most, although I'm willing to concede a bit on durability if the price is low enough to easily replace them.

Those grumpy old guys that never changed the way the did things for 30 years will just say "Quit being picky, and go pick up some Rustler jeans....they work fine".

Fine is not good enough for me, I want ideal for my needs.

Reactions: Mordekyle

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
It depends on how you view things. I'm consistently looking for better ways to do things, more efficiency.

I feel the same about my PPE, I want to check as many boxes as possible. Comfort, safety, usability, durability, etc.

With most choices you have to weigh which options you want to favor, because you typically can't have it all.

Personally, as time goes on, I favor comfort and durability the most, although I'm willing to concede a bit on durability if the price is low enough to easily replace them.

Those grumpy old guys that never changed the way the did things for 30 years will just say "Quit being picky, and go pick up some Rustler jeans....they work fine".

Fine is not good enough for me, I want ideal for my needs.
I agree with that. I definitely want to be efficient while avoiding unnecessary wear and tear on my body.

But at the same time, I'm okay with something that isn't perfect but suits my needs. Afterall, "the best is the enemy of the good." I would like to find something that works for me, and just be happy with that.

Kind of like my Dewalt tools. Milwaukee is better in many ways, Dewalt is better in others. But at the end of the day, my Dewalt tools get my job done and I'm happy.

If I can find something that suits my needs really well and lasts well enough while protecting my body thats great. But I'm not looking for perfect. There's something to be said for being happy with good enough.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I think the majority of the pants with knee pad pockets use Cordura for the outer layer of the knee. The CAT ones in the link above do.
Ah I see. I was thinking of my carhartts or the riggs, you can technically put knee pads in them but they just put another layer of what the pants are made out of.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I picked up a pair of these one sale before Christmas and have been really impressed.
Way more comfortable than normal Carharts and so far the are lasting. Done around 3000sqft of flooring on concrete in them which is usually wear the knees die even this knew pads on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like this thread. I've become very picky about my pants. I'm in my early 50s now. When I was in my late 30s I had bursitis in my knees. After that I started using knee pad inserts in double knee Carhartts. I've had the same inserts through many pairs of pants, they make a huge difference as many of you probably know. I became a dad somewhat late in life and the inserts were also awesome for getting into the Lego zone without jacking up my knees. For years I've been buying the made in USA Carhartts (model B01) but this time around, because of nobody having any 32x32 in stock, I went with the Carhartt "Rugged Flex" double knee pants (imported). I liked the stretchy material at first-- but we had a cold snap the last few days and when I wore longjohns underneath they got all bunched up. Also yesterday the knee pad inserts rode up and were not in position when I was sistering floor joists for a bathroom remodel, which sucked. Hard to describe but there is a "grabbiness" to the Rugged Flex that does not happen with the regular cotton duck material. Also the change pocket is so deep that if you put coins in it you can't get them out, which is stupid.

I'm interested in more of a summer weight version of double knee work pants so thanks to previous posters I may look into other options besides my B01s.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The knees on all my pants are the first to wear out. Guess I could just resale them as some kind of cool fashion type pants. I think people pay big bucks for clothes that look like they have been worked in.
The ones I have with paint and caulk on them may bring in top dollar
Mine all wear on the knees first as well. Left quicker than the right.
My wife buys her's with holes already in them. I just shake my head...
Shorts are coming out in a fee weeks then no holes...
I should try to get all my pants with knee holes cut and hemmed into shorts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine all wear on the knees first as well. Left quicker than the right.
My wife buys her's with holes already in them. I just shake my head...
Shorts are coming out in a fee weeks then no holes...
I should try to get all my pants with knee holes cut and hemmed into shorts.
You know what. Since you mentioned the left knee, that is always the one that wears out in mine as well. I’ve never really noticed that before. Now I’ll be analyzing my movements while working to try and determine why that’s the case.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You know what. Since you mentioned the left knee, that is always the one that wears out in mine as well. I’ve never really noticed that before. Now I’ll be analyzing my movements while working to try and determine why that’s the case.

Yeah, its always the first knee to hit the floor, last to come up. I also think its the one that stays planted as I make adjustments with my right leg/foot.

If I wore knee pads it would save the pants. Rarely do though, I've tried but I generally don't like them. Iast week I tiled a fireplace and hearth I was on my knees the whole time.
I work on my knees a lot.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't wear denim too much anymore used to always. Lee was my brand.
Its to heavy, I like TSC Schmidt, and Blue canyon blue something $12 pair. Schmidt is gone. Good colors, and material is. Light and comfortable. And they look decent on me. @ $25-30 a pair you don't cry to too much putting holes or paint, lap cement on them. Though I try to plan wearing a trashed pair then.

I found the pockets on Dickies are awkward, can't get my hands into the front ones, opening too small. I wear there T-shirts exclusively. 100% cotton. Wear well.

Carhart too expensive to trash. The crotch is uncomfortable for me.

I have picked up some pants at Sam's $15 range really comfortable. Shorts too.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Always the left knee for me as well.

Scraping moss off a roof, I generally face uphill, left knee on the roof, and pull moss off the shingles with a wood shim, right to left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,113 Posts
I honestly never pictured moss-scraping as an occupation. Given your location, I guess I can see it to a certain extent. But is it really all that prevalent vs pressure washing or re-shingling?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I honestly never pictured moss-scraping as an occupation. Given your location, I guess I can see it to a certain extent. But is it really all that prevalent vs pressure washing or re-shingling?
I don’t do it exclusively, it’s just a request that comes up a half dozen times a year.

It’s pretty much the only way to clean slate roofs.

If it’s minimal moss on a shingled roof, it gets sprinkled with zinc.

If it’s minimal moss and they are determined on having it removed, I have a guy that uses a low pressure surface washer to remove it.

The bigger it is, the easier it comes off and the cleaner it is in the end. A stiff broom, wood shims, and a water hose does a good job.

It often grows in the shade under trees or on the north side of the roof. Lots of times, there is a lot of life left in the roof, it just needs cleaned.

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,258 Posts
I don’t do it exclusively, it’s just a request that comes up a half dozen times a year.

It’s pretty much the only way to clean slate roofs.

If it’s minimal moss on a shingled roof, it gets sprinkled with zinc.

If it’s minimal moss and they are determined on having it removed, I have a guy that uses a low pressure surface washer to remove it.

The bigger it is, the easier it comes off and the cleaner it is in the end. A stiff broom, wood shims, and a water hose does a good job.

It often grows in the shade under trees or on the north side of the roof. Lots of times, there is a lot of life left in the roof, it just needs cleaned.

The things we do for fun and profit...

81 - 100 of 127 Posts