Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
So I went to TSC and tried on some more ATG pants (they are on sale right now).....they run huge in the waist, but I found a pair that fits well.

I'm an actual 33" waist, I had to go down to a 30" labeled pant to get something that wasn't falling off. They aren't tight in the seat, but certainly aren't loose, and they are straight leg, so what would be called a slim fit (which is fine, I prefer slim fit) Not tight like skinny pants though, so that's good.

The 32 waist pants would have been "okay", they were a little more loose through the leg, but with a belt on I had to cinch them up so much that the waist folded over itself.....they were very large.

I'm sending the other ones back to Amazon and I grabbed two pair to put through the trial period over the next month.

They have 4 way stretch, and a little stretch in the waist, which is comfy.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
So I went to TSC and tried on some more ATG pants (they are on sale right now).....they run huge in the waist, but I found a pair that fits well.

I'm an actual 33" waist, I had to go down to a 30" labeled pant to get something that wasn't falling off. They aren't tight in the seat, but certainly aren't loose, and they are straight leg, so what would be called a slim fit (which is fine, I prefer slim fit) Not tight like skinny pants though, so that's good.

The 32 waist pants would have been "okay", they were a little more loose through the leg, but with a belt on I had to cinch them up so much that the waist folded over itself.....they were very large.

I'm sending the other ones back to Amazon and I grabbed two pair to put through the trial period over the next month.

They have 4 way stretch, and a little stretch in the waist, which is comfy.
Do they have dressing rooms at TSC?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Do they have dressing rooms at TSC?
They do actually, at least that one did.

It's just a single corner room in the clothing area.

If they didn't I was just going to take them into the bathroom to try.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
19,963 Posts
How are these in warmer weather? Do they breathe at all?
Caterpillar H2O work pants are great in the heat. If you get on their mailing list they go on sale a few times a year. The sizing is true to size. I use the Helly Hansen pads with them cause the Caterpiller pads suck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Caterpillar H2O work pants are great in the heat. If you get on their mailing list they go on sale a few times a year. The sizing is true to size. I use the Helly Hansen pads with them cause the Caterpiller pads suck.

Thank you sir. I’ll check them out. I’m on a never ending quest to find the perfect work pants and footwear to work in.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

I bought an exercise mat and cut it up for knee pads for the last 5 pairs of pants. Still have some left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'm a bit on the fence about the knee pad pants. I think the knee pads would be great, but I also really appreciate having two sets of knees in a pair of pants. It seems like once the first knee wears out, you couldn't use the knee pads in them anymore.

I guess if I find a pair where the first knee lasts longer than the rest of the pants, that would work. Metas ultra pants would probably fit the bill, but I'm not paying that much, and I prefer pants that still look somewhat normal, as I live in my work pants.

I'd like to try the volleyball knee pads under the pants idea too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My best are Snickers. Order online from the UK. They stretch, have lots of pocket storage, wear like iron but best of all accommodate gel knee pad inserts that don't move around. Order the knee pads separately. They also are light weight unlike jeans but just as tough if not tougher. Kind of a of a rip stop fabric. These are all I will ever wear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a bit on the fence about the knee pad pants. I think the knee pads would be great, but I also really appreciate having two sets of knees in a pair of pants. It seems like once the first knee wears out, you couldn't use the knee pads in them anymore.

I guess if I find a pair where the first knee lasts longer than the rest of the pants, that would work. Metas ultra pants would probably fit the bill, but I'm not paying that much, and I prefer pants that still look somewhat normal, as I live in my work pants.

The Snickers have knee pads inserts that you have to remove to wash. I have never had to replace them, but if one wore out, just get another pair of pads no big deal. The pads are so tough I don't think they will wear out though.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,736 Posts
Knee Pads Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We don't live in work pants, we live in shorts here.
Be that as it may, I can't/won't wear shorts for a large portion of my work.
The Snickers have knee pads inserts that you have to remove to wash. I have never had to replace them, but if one wore out, just get another pair of pads no big deal. The pads are so tough I don't think they will wear out though.
I'm not referring to the pads, I'm referring to the pants themselves. For me, once my pants have a hole through to my knees they're in the garbage in short order. I like the double knees because I have two layers of fabric to blow through. I'm not sure I've ever actually blown through two knees, usually the second layer prolongs the life enough that other parts of the pants fail. But if I had kneepads in the double fronts, once the front layer was gone I would no longer be able to use the knee pads. Unless you're saying the knee pads are tough enough that I could use them without a layer of fabric protecting them.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

I've tried to like them, I just can't.

I prefer to have normal pants with the option to put pads on when I need them.

Like today, I was doing work in the shop, all standing and walking around, having knee pads in my pants would have been silly.

Reactions: FixItFarmer

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I wore a pair of the Wrangler ATG pants today.

These ones specifically.

They are extremely comfortable to work in, very similar to golf pants, but tougher fabric. I did some welding and used a demo saw and didn't notice any burn marks (although I'm sure they will burn from sparks).

Straight leg that is wide enough to accomodate plenty of movement, very impressed, especially for the price.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Be that as it may, I can't/won't wear shorts for a large portion of my work.

I'm not referring to the pads, I'm referring to the pants themselves. For me, once my pants have a hole through to my knees they're in the garbage in short order. I like the double knees because I have two layers of fabric to blow through. I'm not sure I've ever actually blown through two knees, usually the second layer prolongs the life enough that other parts of the pants fail. But if I had kneepads in the double fronts, once the front layer was gone I would no longer be able to use the knee pads. Unless you're saying the knee pads are tough enough that I could use them without a layer of fabric protecting them.
The outer layer is usually made from Cordura nylon. It's very likely that the rest of the pants will be worn out long before the knee fabric fails.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I've tried to like them, I just can't.

I prefer to have normal pants with the option to put pads on when I need them.

Like today, I was doing work in the shop, all standing and walking around, having knee pads in my pants would have been silly.
I'll probably give it a shot, those jobman service pants seem like a good way to test the waters. See if I like the kneepad pockets, as well as the pocket layout. If not, I'll probably end up getting some of those volleyball style knee pads for my carhartts or riggs if I end up liking those.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts