Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who doesn't love a good pair of work pants? Or maybe shorts if youre into that. This thread isn't for any specific pair of pants, just a place to talk about your favorites. Who makes them, what you like, what you don't, price, where to buy, etc. Maybe we'll start one for boots too.

I'll start. Over the last couple of years I've been buying Carhartts. Im not sure they're my forever pants, just what works for me right now. I buy the factory seconds from Sierra Trading Post and Dungarees.com. Denim or duck, preferably double front and always utility pockets. You can get them for about $30 a pair if you check often and settle for what's available. I haven't been able to find what's wrong with them most of the time.

More durable than the jeans I was wearing before. Double fronts extend life considerably.

Pockets are mostly great. Slant pockets for the fronts, good back pockets and nice side leg utility pockets.

Relaxed fit is good for me, nice room to move, but I'm tall and skinny so some of you would probably prefer the loose fit.

Pretty affordable.

Dislikes:

Mostly comes down to the side pockets. I carry my phone in one and pencils/markers/pliers/screwdrivers in the other. Crouching down presses the buttons on my phone and digs the tools into my legs. It takes some adjusting to make sure this doesn't happen. This is probably what would lead me to looking elsewhere.

Also not made in america for the most part. Of course no pants are in my price range.

Price:

Normal price is about $50 a pair or so, I would buy straight from carhartt if im not getting them as seconds.

I am considering trying the wrangler riggs ranger pants, about the same price it seems. The cargo pockets look interesting. I'll probably look into carhartt cargo pants well. I really don't want to pay $70+ for a pair of work pants, but if it comes to it I'll look at Duluth fire hose pants and carhartt steel cargo pants.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like Jobman.

These are my everyday work pants. I wear this type all the time.

If I am swinging a hammer and need to hold fasteners, the ultra in the thread below are what I wear. I have three pairs. The 1st pair had its zipper fail after a couple years of heavy use. The second pair is fine, but the hammer holster part gave way.

The knees have never failed. That kevlar outlasts everything else on the jeans.

The third pair is what I use for carpentry.

Some of the best money on pants..but it requires a little tool arrangement if you're used to bags or need more space.

https://www.contractortalk.com/thre...share_fid=106420&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are you saying the service pants aren't durable enough for jobsite use? I like to keep things simple, so I don't have different pairs of pants for summer and winter. Is the ultra comparable to a carhartt double front duck as far as weight and breathability goes?

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What, nobody wears a kilt?

I just wear jeans. 5-6 pair for the price of one of those high-end jobs, which are most likely going to wind up stained and fugly long before they're worn out. With jeans, fugly kind of keeps pace with wear.
Fair point. I like the rustlers from Walmart. Can't beat em for 13 bucks a pair. The only real reason I buy more expensive pants is for the pockets. Jeans pockets are small and hard to use, not to mention there's not enough of them. The longer life is just a bonus for me, it probably works out to pretty close either way. Until you start spending over$80-100 for a pair of pants, imo that's past the point of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really like Jobman.

These are my everyday work pants. I wear this type all the time.

If I am swinging a hammer and need to hold fasteners, the ultra in the thread below are what I wear. I have three pairs. The 1st pair had its zipper fail after a couple years of heavy use. The second pair is fine, but the hammer holster part gave way.

The knees have never failed. That kevlar outlasts everything else on the jeans.

The third pair is what I use for carpentry.

Some of the best money on pants..but it requires a little tool arrangement if you're used to bags or need more space.

https://www.contractortalk.com/thre...share_fid=106420&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Do those pants you linked have the pouches that come out of the pockets?

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So I found today that Amazon now has "try before you buy" if you are a prime member.

You can order a bunch of stuff without getting charged, then you have 7 days to decide what you want to keep and return what you don't want, comes with a mailing bag to return stuff.

So naturally I ordered about 6 pairs of pants to try out, hopefully at least one pair is good.

I love the Jobman pants, but I want something lighter.

Truwerk has a good fabric, but they don't fit me well at all.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I ordered some Dickies, which I'll probably end up returning as they've never quite fit me right.

The ones I'm curious about are the Wrangler ATG pants. I've seen them at Tractor Supply and they seem about in line with TruWerk pants as far as material and build go, they never have my size though so I haven't got to test them.
I haven't had good luck with Dickies, subpar build quality and strange pockets. Better off going with carhartt imo, ymmv. Never heard of those wranglers.

One other thing i want to put out there, not necessarily related to your post is how we quantify durability. It seems like we always say how long they last, but don't usually mention how many pairs were rotating. I still work mostly on the farm, so my pants usually last one, maybe two days before they need to get washed. So I like to keep 5-7 pairs of pants in my rotation, do laundry once a week. That means I can get at least a year out of my carhartts, where as if I was rotating 2-3 pairs i would blow through them twice as fast. Just putting it out there.

Edit: I should clarify, I had issues with the Tough Max Riptstop carpenter pants. I returned their standard carpenter pants because they fit very loosely.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
When I start bitching about my lack of clothes, wife orders a couple pairs of jeans from LL Bean. They’re not very sophisticated with respect to pockets and stuff - plain Jane. But they sit at the actual waste and they have room for thunder thighs if you get the roomier cuts.

I usually wear the same pair until they get blatantly dirty, then add one more day. Haven’t lost a job for smelling bad yet.

Crotch usually is shredded paper thin and I either throw them away after 8 weeks or I keep wearing them til they rip all the way up my ass climbing in a truck bed or something.

I machine wash and line dry everything year round. Saves the fabric.
Come on reggi, how boring is that. I was expecting something super tough and macho from our resident demo guy. My hopes were high.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
As a matter of fact, those chunky knit sweaters are heirloom Woolrich and you will commence mountain climbers now. I’ll count cadence, you count the repetitions.

You can stop when my sweater doesn’t look chunky anymore!
I'm not hearing any cadence. Try shouting a little louder, I don't think I can hear you over the five states between us.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
So I went to TSC and tried on some more ATG pants (they are on sale right now).....they run huge in the waist, but I found a pair that fits well.

I'm an actual 33" waist, I had to go down to a 30" labeled pant to get something that wasn't falling off. They aren't tight in the seat, but certainly aren't loose, and they are straight leg, so what would be called a slim fit (which is fine, I prefer slim fit) Not tight like skinny pants though, so that's good.

The 32 waist pants would have been "okay", they were a little more loose through the leg, but with a belt on I had to cinch them up so much that the waist folded over itself.....they were very large.

I'm sending the other ones back to Amazon and I grabbed two pair to put through the trial period over the next month.

They have 4 way stretch, and a little stretch in the waist, which is comfy.
Do they have dressing rooms at TSC?

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'm a bit on the fence about the knee pad pants. I think the knee pads would be great, but I also really appreciate having two sets of knees in a pair of pants. It seems like once the first knee wears out, you couldn't use the knee pads in them anymore.

I guess if I find a pair where the first knee lasts longer than the rest of the pants, that would work. Metas ultra pants would probably fit the bill, but I'm not paying that much, and I prefer pants that still look somewhat normal, as I live in my work pants.

I'd like to try the volleyball knee pads under the pants idea too.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We don't live in work pants, we live in shorts here.
Be that as it may, I can't/won't wear shorts for a large portion of my work.
The Snickers have knee pads inserts that you have to remove to wash. I have never had to replace them, but if one wore out, just get another pair of pads no big deal. The pads are so tough I don't think they will wear out though.
I'm not referring to the pads, I'm referring to the pants themselves. For me, once my pants have a hole through to my knees they're in the garbage in short order. I like the double knees because I have two layers of fabric to blow through. I'm not sure I've ever actually blown through two knees, usually the second layer prolongs the life enough that other parts of the pants fail. But if I had kneepads in the double fronts, once the front layer was gone I would no longer be able to use the knee pads. Unless you're saying the knee pads are tough enough that I could use them without a layer of fabric protecting them.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I've tried to like them, I just can't.

I prefer to have normal pants with the option to put pads on when I need them.

Like today, I was doing work in the shop, all standing and walking around, having knee pads in my pants would have been silly.
I'll probably give it a shot, those jobman service pants seem like a good way to test the waters. See if I like the kneepad pockets, as well as the pocket layout. If not, I'll probably end up getting some of those volleyball style knee pads for my carhartts or riggs if I end up liking those.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I've found too, that different tasks require different pads.

For day to day stuff, where I'm just up and down a lot, I use the cheap light pads from Lowes, and we trash them regularly, I wear them when we place concrete too so they get the **** kicked out of them, they are disposable.

An hour or two without getting up, I'll grab the Toughbuilt floor layers pads, they are good for short stints on the ground and have lots of stability.

If I'm going to be on the ground all day long, I'll use the Fento pads (sold as Traxx in the US). They are much larger, and not really great for walking around in, but so much more comfortable for long hauls while kneeling.

Far and away I end up with very light pads on while doing daily tasks, that way I can be up and down quickly without worrying about my knees, and I can easily shed them for tasks that don't require them, like placing wall forms or something.

I just felt incredibly "heavy" with pads always attached to me, and it wasn't worth it for a sub par pad for most tasks when I can strap on something much better that leaves me felling better at the end of the day.
Makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I'll find what works for me eventually. I do find it interesting how many of us haven't found the "perfect" pair of work pants. You'd think eventually you would find something you like and stick with it. It probably comes down to how many options there are and the tendency for companies to cheap out over time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts