Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who doesn't love a good pair of work pants? Or maybe shorts if youre into that. This thread isn't for any specific pair of pants, just a place to talk about your favorites. Who makes them, what you like, what you don't, price, where to buy, etc. Maybe we'll start one for boots too.

I'll start. Over the last couple of years I've been buying Carhartts. Im not sure they're my forever pants, just what works for me right now. I buy the factory seconds from Sierra Trading Post and Dungarees.com. Denim or duck, preferably double front and always utility pockets. You can get them for about $30 a pair if you check often and settle for what's available. I haven't been able to find what's wrong with them most of the time.

More durable than the jeans I was wearing before. Double fronts extend life considerably.

Pockets are mostly great. Slant pockets for the fronts, good back pockets and nice side leg utility pockets.

Relaxed fit is good for me, nice room to move, but I'm tall and skinny so some of you would probably prefer the loose fit.

Pretty affordable.

Dislikes:

Mostly comes down to the side pockets. I carry my phone in one and pencils/markers/pliers/screwdrivers in the other. Crouching down presses the buttons on my phone and digs the tools into my legs. It takes some adjusting to make sure this doesn't happen. This is probably what would lead me to looking elsewhere.

Also not made in america for the most part. Of course no pants are in my price range.

Price:

Normal price is about $50 a pair or so, I would buy straight from carhartt if im not getting them as seconds.

I am considering trying the wrangler riggs ranger pants, about the same price it seems. The cargo pockets look interesting. I'll probably look into carhartt cargo pants well. I really don't want to pay $70+ for a pair of work pants, but if it comes to it I'll look at Duluth fire hose pants and carhartt steel cargo pants.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I get the Duluth pants with the knee pad pockets. They eventually go on sale for $50-$60 and I go through about 4 pairs a year. I buy two of the same color at a time, so I can keep track of how long they last

I actually like the Carhartt material better, but the Duluth knee pad pouches are in a better spot for my legs. With the carhartts it felt like the kneepad was always too low

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Never cared for the carharrt pants. I could buy 3 pairs of same size off same rack and the cuffs would all be at a different height. Plus they're too dang baggy. And too many styles to choose from. Then they went full blown n a z i their jab mandate. Never buying carhartt anything again.
Which bums me out because I do like their heavy weight Ts. Haven't found a suitable replacement for those yet.

I've been using Truewerk pants for 2 or 3 years now. Mostly the T1s unless I expect to be outside all day long in the winter. The T2s and T3s are excellent for outside work in cold and wind. They all dry out quickly if they get wet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,446 Posts
I used to wear the carhartts, the were ok, but never terribly happy with the pocket situation. They are stiff, heavy, and hot in the summer.

Tried a few pairs of the Duluth firehose pants, wasn't impressed, the front pockets were terrible, hammer loop was way to small for any hammer i tried, and I seemed to keep catching them and ripping the fronts off. Probably the most comfortable pants I've tried, but not comfortable enough to keep buying them.

The last few years I've been wearing the riggs ranger pants, and really like them. My wallet in the left cargo pocket, phone in the right cargo. If I'm not wearing bags (not normal if I'm working on the jobsite) tape on right front pocket, pencil in the small outside cargo pocket, square in left back pocket.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,066 Posts
I get the Duluth pants with the knee pad pockets. They eventually go on sale for $50-$60 and I go through about 4 pairs a year. I buy two of the same color at a time, so I can keep track of how long they last

I actually like the Carhartt material better, but the Duluth knee pad pouches are in a better spot for my legs. With the carhartts it felt like the kneepad was always too low
I wore those for about 2 or 3 years, after trying the Blaklader first. For my money, Dewalt makes a pair with knee pad inserts that I get for $50. They seem to wear a bit longer than the Duluth ones. At my age, any pants where knee pads can't be added are a no go.

·
Pro
8,777 Posts
I really like Jobman.

These are my everyday work pants. I wear this type all the time.

If I am swinging a hammer and need to hold fasteners, the ultra in the thread below are what I wear. I have three pairs. The 1st pair had its zipper fail after a couple years of heavy use. The second pair is fine, but the hammer holster part gave way.

The knees have never failed. That kevlar outlasts everything else on the jeans.

The third pair is what I use for carpentry.

Some of the best money on pants..but it requires a little tool arrangement if you're used to bags or need more space.

https://www.contractortalk.com/thre...share_fid=106420&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I really like Jobman.

If I am swinging a hammer and need to hold fasteners, the ultra in the thread below are what I wear. I have three pairs. The 1st pair had its zipper fail after a couple years of heavy use. The second pair is fine, but the hammer holster part gave way.

Some of the best money on pants..but it requires a little tool arrangement if you're used to bags or need more space.

https://www.contractortalk.com/thre...share_fid=106420&share_type=t&link_source=app

How are these in warmer weather? Do they breathe at all?

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like Jobman.

Are you saying the service pants aren't durable enough for jobsite use? I like to keep things simple, so I don't have different pairs of pants for summer and winter. Is the ultra comparable to a carhartt double front duck as far as weight and breathability goes?

·
Pro
8,777 Posts
Are you saying the service pants aren't durable enough for jobsite use? I like to keep things simple, so I don't have different pairs of pants for summer and winter. Is the ultra comparable to a carhartt double front duck as far as weight and breathability goes?
The service pants are lighter duty THAN the Ultra. I wear them on jobsites and work in them. The Ultra..are Ultra, above and beyond as far as the knees.

Not sure in comparison to Carhartt (haven't used that pant), but they are comfortable to me.

·
Registered
Farm-pentry
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What, nobody wears a kilt?

I just wear jeans. 5-6 pair for the price of one of those high-end jobs, which are most likely going to wind up stained and fugly long before they're worn out. With jeans, fugly kind of keeps pace with wear.
Fair point. I like the rustlers from Walmart. Can't beat em for 13 bucks a pair. The only real reason I buy more expensive pants is for the pockets. Jeans pockets are small and hard to use, not to mention there's not enough of them. The longer life is just a bonus for me, it probably works out to pretty close either way. Until you start spending over$80-100 for a pair of pants, imo that's past the point of diminishing returns.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Y’all got good timing, I’m cleaning out the closet and have several pair of Riggs Rangers, Riggs Carpenter and odd assortments of 5.11 pants. Prolly a few others as well. Some practically new, others covered in Geocel and roof sealant.
Size 32x32 from before 30 years old
34x32 I guess I was 30-34
35x32 was a mistake cause I was sad about being 35 lol
A couple 36x32 as well.

I’m holding the line on 36” or 38” pants.

Pm me and I’ll send em if you want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I also go the the Wally world wranglers route. Carpenter jeans for the side pockets and hammer loop. Leg pocket always has a 6 in 1 and small crescent wrench. Razor in right pocket, phone in the left. Keys on carabiner and impact drill hang on belt loops. Tape measure hangs on the back pocket. Hammer in loop when needed. Khaki for painting days, blues for the others.

I wear the same blue jeans when off the clock as well. Once they get a little dirty they get put into the work jeans pile where they typically get stained with caulk, paint, and glue ect. about as fast as the knees wear out or the pockets rip. No worries tossing them out when I can get 4 pairs for the cost of 1 pair of the premium brand ones. Same with shirts, hats and sunglasses . Buy cheap and plain. Plain white Ts and $4 grey caps from the outlet store. Start for personal use, then work use, then rag pile.

Funny thing, Carhartt just started selling some clothes in HD out here and I had considered giving them a try but then I heard about them keeping their own company vaccine mandates in place even after the Supreme Court ruled against the OSHA requirements and decided they don't need my $. (Talk about not knowing your clientele)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I get some work pants from Tractor Supply. There kind of thin but soft and comfortable. I have a pair or Wrangler Riggs that i haven't worn yet but they feel really stiff. I washed them once to see if the would soften some but they didn't. Im sure after wearing and washing them a few times they will. I hate when i buy nice work pants and then get i big spot of paint on them i don't mind them getting worn out looking but i hate when i get paint on them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I use Kalt Gear pants quite a bit but I mostly do finish carpentry and electrical when I am working in the field so I don't need too tough a pair of pants. Comfort is better for me.

Andy.
These worked great for me.

Then they went and redesigned them.

My current choice is Caterpillar H2O defense or something like that.

Medium duty.
Knee pad pockets.
Just the right size phone pocket, right thigh.
Removable fastener pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Jobman Service Pants are what I've settled on, and have for several years.

I've tried a lot of pants, and it's very hard to find anything in an athletic fit that aren't skinny pants.

Most classic work pants are extremely baggy on me, and the trend with a lot of others lately is slim legs...which are almost more obnoxious than being baggy.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts