Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you go to a home,do a presentation and the home owner says they need to decide if they will do all the windows or just a few. you try to get them to commit but they need time to think..
i called and sent an e-mail. customer replied "he and his wife were still discussing"..he will let me know very soon.
i can take this a few ways but i need to call him and reply..what is a good response to "he and his wife still discussing"?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I recently had this scenario.
The estimate was for siding,windows ,doors and misc repairs/updates.
It was two weeks before I heard back from them.
Said they needed more time.
I waited,and got called a couple of weeks later to do part of the job.
Shortly after my first visit, the wife found out she had cancer and their whole life got turned upside down.
Their decision was to proceed with the needed windows at this point and put off the rest till spring.

If I don't close on the first visit,I'll just move on.
Seems to have been a lot of people lately,putting off part of a project,but want to schedule down the road for financial reasons too.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Translation: "We're trying to find someone else who is cheaper than you."

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Send a short 'Thank You'

you go to a home,do a presentation and the home owner says they need to decide if they will do all the windows or just a few. you try to get them to commit but they need time to think..
i called and sent an e-mail. customer replied "he and his wife were still discussing"..he will let me know very soon.
i can take this a few ways but i need to call him and reply..what is a good response to "he and his wife still discussing"?
Thank you for the response.
Make it convenient for the customer to contact you.
Paint a picture and throw in a little motivation at the end.
Keep it short. Very few people enjoy reading long notes.

Almost every email is disrespectul, cold, and rude because people don't address their customers with a salutation such as 'Dear Mr. & Mrs Jones". Show you care by writing with a letter format.

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you very much for your response. Should you have any questions, please feel free to call my cell phone at xxx-xxxx or my office at xxx-xxxx. I will be able to start the installation on the following day and the job can be 100% completed by xxx.

Thank you very much.

John

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the woman says they have cancer, do you ask to see the x-rays to make sure they are being honest? do you ask to speak with her doctor and if she is telling the truth,will doing an install effect her recovery?
only kidding,i am sure a pushy salesman has done that.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thank you for the response.
Make it convenient for the customer to contact you.
Paint a picture and throw in a little motivation at the end.
Keep it short. Very few people enjoy reading long notes.

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you very much for your response. Should you have any questions, please feel free to call my cell phone at xxx-xxxx or my office at xxx-xxxx. I will be able to start the installation by the following day and the job can be 100% completed by xxx.

Thank you very much.

John

Yes, that's the only approach left. That's why you need to sell on the first visit..

·
Registered
440 Posts
It means move on IMO

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It is hard to get people to commit right away for something they dont feel is an immediate neccessity. People dont get excited about putting on a new roof or putting in new windows like they do when upgrading a kitchen.

Usually I will just tell them that its fine and to take their time and if they have any more questions or anything about the proposal to give me a call. Then I usually send an email a week or two later and ask if theyve made any further progress with their decision. At that time they either tell me they are ready to do the project or they have went with someone else. Homeowners feel much more at ease telling you they found someone else over email than over the phone.

I dont think anyone likes a pushy salesman. I know I dont.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It is hard to get people to commit right away for something they dont feel is an immediate neccessity. People dont get excited about putting on a new roof or putting in new windows like they do when upgrading a kitchen.

Usually I will just tell them that its fine and to take their time and if they have any more questions or anything about the proposal to give me a call. Then I usually send an email a week or two later and ask if theyve made any further progress with their decision. At that time they either tell me they are ready to do the project or they have went with someone else. Homeowners feel much more at ease telling you they found someone else over email than over the phone.

I dont think anyone likes a pushy salesman. I know I dont.

That's your job as a representitive of your company isn't it? To get them excited and give them a reason to buy that night. You don't have to be "pushy" to do accomplish this. Quite the contrary. I use the I don't give a shiit close and it works. Take aways are soooooooo powerful and most people overlook them

That said trying to get a commitment on a kitchen the first night is impossible.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
You make it sound too easy Buddy. I am usually the first or second person the homeowner has out. When that happens they still want to try to learn all the can although Ive already spent an hour with them informing them of everything they need to know about their project. If I am the third or fourth guy, theyve already met with other guys and it makes it easier to sell them on a first night. Also, when people get these crazy guys off of CL doing the work for 195 a sq, and they see I am 5 or 6 grand more expensive, its hard for them to understand at first and it takes a few emails or calls for them to figure it out. I dont lower the price to meet anyone, nor do I go out as the 7th estimate for a person.

People dont get excited about roofs or windows. They feel like they are "automatically" parts of the house that no one complements them on and they think they gain no return on them. As I have said before, people are much more excited to get a kitchen they can show off compared to a new roof. No one is going to have a house party up on the roof. No one is going to have a party to admire the craftsmanship and functionality of some new windows either.

Ive only sold a vew few jobs where I was the first and only guy out there. As much as we try to get people to close on the first meeting, the reality is that it is very rare these days.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You make it sound too easy Buddy. I am usually the first or second person the homeowner has out. When that happens they still want to try to learn all the can although Ive already spent an hour with them informing them of everything they need to know about their project. If I am the third or fourth guy, theyve already met with other guys and it makes it easier to sell them on a first night. Also, when people get these crazy guys off of CL doing the work for 195 a sq, and they see I am 5 or 6 grand more expensive, its hard for them to understand at first and it takes a few emails or calls for them to figure it out. I dont lower the price to meet anyone, nor do I go out as the 7th estimate for a person.

People dont get excited about roofs or windows. They feel like they are "automatically" parts of the house that no one complements them on and they think they gain no return on them. As I have said before, people are much more excited to get a kitchen they can show off compared to a new roof. No one is going to have a house party up on the roof. No one is going to have a party to admire the craftsmanship and functionality of some new windows either.

Ive only sold a vew few jobs where I was the first and only guy out there. As much as we try to get people to close on the first meeting, the reality is that it is very rare these days.
Well I guess our approaches are opposite. We close 45% of our appointments and 99% on the first night. However, roofing is the biggest challenge because there is so much negative pricing out there.

I agree about the kitchens but diasagree about windows or siding. You absolutely can get people excited about them, especially if you have something a little different than the masses or at least can present it differently

Easy? No, but with practice it's very predictable and it works

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I do admit its much easier to sell windows and siding on the first try. People can see the actual difference in quality in the window samples and siding samples you bring them. I just wrapped up a 9 window job the other day. I love doing windows. Ha.

I guess I was more focused on selling roofing the first night since this is what the OP says his trade is under his name.

This year I only closed at about 40 percent compared to previous years where I was anywhere between 60 and 70 although prices nearly stayed the same.

Bottom line is that its much harder to sell today than it was even just two years ago.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I do admit its much easier to sell windows and siding on the first try. People can see the actual difference in quality in the window samples and siding samples you bring them. I just wrapped up a 9 window job the other day. I love doing windows. Ha.

I guess I was more focused on selling roofing the first night since this is what the OP says his trade is under his name.

This year I only closed at about 40 percent compared to previous years where I was anywhere between 60 and 70 although prices nearly stayed the same.

Bottom line is that its much harder to sell today than it was even just two years ago.

I completely disagree. Our closing rates are identical to years past. What's way down is lead production and average ticket

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do you guys actually bring in a cheap winodw sample to compare with your higher end sample?
example, a silverline with a gorell?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I bring parts and pieces. However we are moving to Marvin Infinity and to be honest it's so different and IMO superior to vinyl in every way it should sell itself. We'll bring our vinyl corner cuts for comparison

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
are you going to stll offer vinyl?
will you be pricing yourself out of certain markets by only offering fiberglass(if thats what you are doing)?
We'll offer both for a while but eventually we'll drop the vinyl. Same with siding

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You gave your presentation and prices...I would simply say, call anytime if you have any questions, and Happy New Years. I don't think windows, or any home improvement project is priority #1 during this time of the year.

I think any effort on selling at this point is counterproductive if you already did your presentation. Good luck

1 - 20 of 47 Posts