Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weighed a 1 1/4" galvanized roofing nail just now. It weighs 0.10 oz.

I did this to figure out how long a 50 LB box *should* last in relation to how long it actually does last, plus I wanted to verify against the MFG's #'s. So let's see...

1 lb is 16 oz. There are 10 nails per oz. That's 160 nails per LB. There's usually 50LB's per box so that's 8000 nails per box.

The MFG's claim 320 nails per square (4 nails per shingle). That's 2 lb per square. That's 25 squares per 50 LB box.

I want to tell you that this above math is incredibly accurate. I went into this thinking 2 lb per square, based on experience, and I was dead right. LOL

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
I weighed a 1 1/4" galvanized roofing nail just now.
Are you, like, really, really tired or is it just the opposite and you've had way too much Starbucks today? :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Let me get this straight. 10 nails = 1 oz. What size/qty = 1 gm.?
This info could make certain sales much easier! LOL!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I love coffee, hate starbucks as a coffee and a company. :) Really now that it's my money I am spending I want to coun't every penny... Or maybe every nail! A box of nails has 8000 nails and costs roughly $40 that's 0.005 per nail. That'll add up by the end of my career. :)

Teetor 10 1 1/4" galvanized roofing nails. 1 oz is 28 grams (If that's what you meant by gm).

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can give several reasons.

a) I went there once and found the service to be terrible. I asked for a "large coffee with cream and sugar." The guy looked at me like I was nuts. He said "Uh... DO you mean a grande latte?" I said "What's that?" He said "A large coffee." I said sure, that's what I want. I understand the gimick, but he knew what I meant, and at the time I didn't know their terminology, so why didn't he give me what I asked for?

B) Also at that same visit he forgot to mention it's serve yourself cream and sugar, so I took my coffee back to the office where I opened the lid and took a sip of EXTREMELY VERY VERY HOT coffee with no cream and sugar. I think he forgot to mention to me that "Dumb ass you have to get your own sugar and creme here at starbucks. What do I look like I am here to help you?" LOL he didn't say that, but if he did at least my coffee would have had creme and sugar.

C) the coffee is over priced. It really really is. I actually prefer white hen (convenient type store) coffee. They have about 20 different flavors and I serve myself, so it's always to my liking and I know this upfront! A cup is about $1.50 for a 20 oz cup of coffee. What is starbucks like $2.86 for the same size?

D) I really didn't even like the flavor of the coffee once it was down to a drinkable temprature and I managed to find some creme and sugar in the office to add to it.

summary: It's not good coffee. The service sucks. It's over priced.

I am not one of those guys who hates things because they are the "in thing" to do. I tried it and hate it because it just wasn't a good experience.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
I asked for a "large coffee with cream and sugar." The guy looked at me like I was nuts. He said "Uh... DO you mean a grande latte?"
That's one of my favorite games! (right between jeopardy and strip Twister)

"So that's one grande Verona?" the youthful lass with a 1-1/4" sterling roofing nail in her brow coyly asks. "No" the moderately overweight balding man with mud dripping off his work books dryly replies "That's a medium black coffee." The leftist tree huggers in line begin to squirm as they realize that their MiniCoopers and Honda Elements, left running in the firelane outside, might be ticketed before they can scramble back with their $6.00 latte. (what is a latte anyway?)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought latte meant milk I know it's lichae or something... but I always thought it meant milk. I always wondered why they called coffee milk.

Hey Rick just where do they leave their cars running? I'd be happy to go steal a few. :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rick, Strip Twister was a great game.
Grumpy, I believe that the abbreviation is gr. not gm. My bad. I guess that the joke went over eveybodys head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Listening to you guys is the conversational equivalent of $o.25 chicken wing night at Hooters without all the cigarette smoke. (But the view isn't as good) Keep up the incredibly accurate observations on life Grumpy, they are very entertaining! Quantifying opinions has never been so funny!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Straight, Grumpy is truly a diamond in the rough and ready to take on the world. I think that I'm the old dude here, no one has risen to contest that, not that it is a particular honor.
I'm glad that you enjoy the site. Tune in often, sometimes we have fun.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
HeeHee! YOUR teen years have been over for some time? I have to think back over 30 yrs., somtimes it take minutes just to get started. LOL
One of the big perks of being self employed is no drug testing. Honestly, I inhaled in Vietnam, quit to raise kids and now partake once in a while in veterans groups while swapping old stories. I figure how much damage can it do now?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I find that the hardest part of ageing is that my mind still thinks that I am young and makes my body do stupid things. The body reminds me in a day or two.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
now partake once in a while in veterans groups while swapping old stories
I swear, I never clicked on this thread because I could care less about the weight of a nail, then I was bored today so I clicked. How could I have imagined this topic had about 3 posts about nails.
This goes to show ya, click anyway...you never know..

oh yea....YES ON 2!!!!!!!
(search alaska ballot measures)

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
nope.....

Ballot measure 2.....

try again....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts