Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 8357 Posts

·
Florida GC
376 Posts
These are from an REO property in North Lauderdale. The realtor called me on a referral to close out an open permit for some windows that were installed. I go do the site visit and see all this. TWO Illegal 2nd floor additions, illegal 1st floor full bath, windows/vents/doors not flashed, rotting framing all over. My lead and I snapped some pics and split before we fell through a floor or something. I passed on that job.

first floor bathroom vent

illegal 2nd-floor addition #1; yes that is hydraulic cement for the transition between the two subfloors.

2nd illegal 2nd floor addition; I like the emt straps on the copper.

Junction boxes- who needs em' anyway? And yes, the drainpipe you see is pitched backwards

I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen this electrical jury-rig at one time or another; But I like the toenailed, framed-in-place PT studs more personally.

2nd illegal 2nd floor addition framing; Used to be a porch they enclosed. That is tarpaper on the "subfloor"; The windows were not flashed, and were not designed/approved for install into wood framing; 1/2" sheathing; And, uh, I can't quite put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem right about the framing around both these windows...

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
Just a few pics of my "competitions" work!

Attachments

·
Vendor
77 Posts
Just one example: I always knew it's important to properly flash a ledger board for a deck..it just becomes more real when you see stuff like this!

View attachment 72565
Yikes! Between that and the videos, it's a wonder people question why there are laws and rules on how to build things and why we need licenses...it's amazing these people get away with it (if they do)! I see a lot of this in my old hometown

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
yea got a couple three bids we took the lowest!, hell that boy was half the price!, got a couple of problems he,s phone quit workin, so billy bob please call catfish ya,all got me number.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Noprofit Ltd. said:
Are those spindles to code? Up here, you cannot have spaces beyond 4 inches between them or kids can crawl through.
Is that the problem which bothered you? This thing had more issues than spacing.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 8357 Posts