Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
8661 - 8680 of 8701 Posts

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,333 Posts
Custom metal flitch plates and you can keep everything there and keep things just as strong or more.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Wood Grey Composite material Gas Flooring

Double doors needed a piece in the middle. I guess the trimmers thought the painter could make it look nice, and the painter didn't think at all 🙄

I'll try to put lipstick on this pig with some more sanding and fill, but it just makes me shake my head.

This is a 5k sqft custom in a high end neighborhood - pretty close to the top end of homes in this city.

But the owner is using his normal spec home subs. Pay peanuts, get monkeys I suppose.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
thankyou Meta .Has been so long that i had to pad out an' I beam' that have forgotten peramiters .i did notice that the material used to pad out out webbing seemed thinner then the depth of 'I beam' that would seem off . Also it looks like the pads are cut a bit loose ,that seems just sloppy .

·
Pro
8,480 Posts
thankyou Meta .Has been so long that i had to pad out an' I beam' that have forgotten peramiters .i did notice that the material used to pad out out webbing seemed thinner then the depth of 'I beam' that would seem off . Also it looks like the pads are cut a bit loose ,that seems just sloppy .
The other note here is it looks like it is a single upper top plate with the window above the lower side of joists. That IS garbage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,486 Posts
Who would design/install a window with the top of the glass higher than the bottom of the joists? That will take some creative sheetrock work to do the ceiling.
Little fiddling around , but would not really be that hard. Whoever built the house was not a very good builder if the rest of the house is anything like this.

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
235 Posts
View attachment 523064

Double doors needed a piece in the middle. I guess the trimmers thought the painter could make it look nice, and the painter didn't think at all 🙄

I'll try to put lipstick on this pig with some more sanding and fill, but it just makes me shake my head.

This is a 5k sqft custom in a high end neighborhood - pretty close to the top end of homes in this city.

But the owner is using his normal spec home subs. Pay peanuts, get monkeys I suppose.
I was doing doors/base/case/crown for a builder that rhymes with BR Thornton for a bit early in my career. Their philosophy was that anything less than 1/4" was the painters problem. They also expected me to hang/case 3-2 doors per hour.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
This was 25ish years ago. I was green. Wood framing, cheap prehung hollow core doors. Case 1 side, slam it into opening, nail it off with casing, case other side. Scatter busted shims around to make super think you were actually using shims.
Learned a lot in the couple months I worked for that company.
Found better mentors to work with.

8661 - 8680 of 8701 Posts