Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
8601 - 8620 of 8641 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,384 Posts
I'm currently in the prototyping phase of a tool I call the pinepress. It's like a propress, but for joists. You would pickup spruce fittings at your local plumbing supply house. They are proprietary - $$$.

Anyway, the tool will allow plumbers to put a couple 90 degree elbows in the floor joists so they can do their thing without ruining the building.

As always, I'm open to PMs concerning venture capital.

·
Pro
7,258 Posts
I'm currently in the prototyping phase of a tool I call the pinepress. It's like a propress, but for joists. You would pickup spruce fittings at your local plumbing supply house. They are proprietary - $$$.

Anyway, the tool will allow plumbers to put a couple 90 degree elbows in the floor joists so they can do their thing without ruining the building.

As always, I'm open to PMs concerning venture capital.
I have a few pinepresses on staff bending nails all day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plumbers should NOT be allowed to have Sawzalls!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I was building a hospital wing 12 years ago. Unbeknownst to me the duct guy was working Sunday and I wasn't there. I came in on Monday morning and a bank of 1" copper med gas (already filled with nitrogen) was cut in half and an 8' main duct was running through it. It was 6 floors of copper filled nitrogen passed by the Texas medical gas inspector. You dont just call a State medical inspector at a whim.

It was a 70k mistake by the tin bender because he was mad, he didn't coordinate with the med gas guys. They were very short men and he maybe thought they were pushovers. They weren't and I had to call the cops that day.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,337 Posts
So in true plumber fashion, the plumbing's been done for a few days, and I still haven't fixed the joist.
I'll get to it sometime lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
If that’s a tub they make a drain that stays above the floor and drops down in one 2” hole either under the overflow or under the drain. You pick. You don’t have to have a 12” x 2” (or more) hack out of the floor.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
Got one under my kitchen sink. And yes, it violates code.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm a bad plumber I guess.

What terrible things will happen with that trap?

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
Water can get sucked out of it if there is a negative pressure on the line. Such as a big load of water going by the where it drains in the mail line, AKA toilet flush

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Just cut the pipe and sister another joist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thats something a plumber would do if he was a framer.
I'm not a plumber anymore, so I now have my conscience back.

I have some angle iron in the shop I'll lag to the bottom of the joist one of these days.

Of course is my house, so one of these days might take a while to get here

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If that’s a tub they make a drain that stays above the floor and drops down in one 2” hole either under the overflow or under the drain. You pick. You don’t have to have a 12” x 2” (or more) hack out of the floor.
It is a tub.
Just in case I lose my head again and decide to be a plumber for a day , any idea what that type of drain is called?

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
It is a tub.
Just in case I lose my head again and decide to be a plumber for a day , any idea what that type of drain is called?

Watco pressflo is what my plumber uses, you just need to position and/or orient the sanitary T to where you want the hole in the floor. I think you can also use an elbow below the over flow then use the San t right below the drain too. Or use 2 elbows and have the San t somewhere in between.

To avoid a S trap configuration you need the trap arm to be at least 2 pipe diameters long before turning down.

8601 - 8620 of 8641 Posts