Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

8481 - 8500 of 8540 Posts

·
Eater of sins.
4,567 Posts
They'll break in not checking to see if there is a radio or not. It has to be gone and signs in the Windows saying it's gone to not get broken into.

I love how all pieces of glass are now automatically capitalized once there're windows.....

I am trying like hell to diagram those sentences but not getting anywhere.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Assumption correct. Yet another “lowball bid” homeowner who found this unlicensed kook on NextDoor and got hit for $11k paid in full up front. Really made me sick to my stomach seeing the look in their eyes both being retired military and the husband working for Veterans Affairs. They’re getting the hookup from me.

This was a TrexPro Preferred contractor lead to me so I had my rep meet me onsite; he used this deck as a literal “how not to “ future PowerPoint for training purposes. Agreeable to us both the worst job we had collectively ever seen.
I didn't take photos of the worst deck I'd ever seen.
I quoted a deck rebuild and garage re-roof for the local lumber yard's install group. Usually they only provide materials and add a small mark-up. I guess the girl running this one was looking to hit a sales bonus or something - she tripled my quote on the garage roof. Needless to say, we didn't land either project.
The low bid roofer who got the roof was asked to build the deck.

They expanded the deck size, but kept the original concrete landing pad. So the stairs were steep as hell (and obviously not level)

They didn't put in ANY support beyond two 6x6 posts that they screwed to a joist. Apparently they planned to bolt a beam to it. whoops.

The railing was framed just like wall: 2x4 bottom plate, studs every 16" and a 2x4 top plate. And the thing started plumb at the house and was about 2-3 inches off plumb by the front of the deck.

I had done other projects for the homeowner, and had come back for a small warranty issue. So I didn't have a chance to really inspect the deck. But I did make sure the owner knew to stay off until it was fixed.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
1 on 2
Mason
311 Posts
An example:

Back when I lived in the ghetto, my little Honda was broken into.

The crummy CD player with a CD stuck in it was stolen. I think I even left a note on it that said it was broken So that I would not have my window broken for it.

The brand new hundred dollar work boots in the backseat were untouched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't locked a car or truck door in I don't know how many years. I had a car broken into once that was locked. They took my couple dollars of change, left my cassette tapes (lol), and a punched door lock. Less damage to leave it unlocked.

·
Registered
GC
130 Posts
Holy chit! That was my dad's line about leaving tools in the open pickup. "Who would steal that?!? They're only good for hard work and if you're stealing, you're not interested in that!" No one else ever understood that logic when I repeated that.

That being said, the only things I know of ever being stolen from me from the back of my truck are a square mouth shovel,...twice.
My old wheelbarrow has been sitting in the back of my truck in the city for two weeks. My sister asked if I was worried about someone stealing it. I said, "nah, looks to much like work."

·
Registered
GC
130 Posts
I get that, but we are just making light of leaving out tools that have very little resale value. I would imagine a broom and extension cord would not be hot sellers on Craigslist or pawn shops.
Broom, no. But the extension cords would go to the scrapper along with anything else metal not fastened down with security screws.

·
Eater of sins.
4,567 Posts
Try "The Plain English Handbook", it will make it simple for you.

I have a cheat sheet on RPN, too.

Well, normally you are quite clear in your posts. Very quotable, in fact.

I just didn't understand any of that **** from that post.

"It has to be gone and signs in the Windows saying it's gone to not get broken into." uh, what? signs in the Windows (I see the reference to capitalized window glass) saying it's gone to (as in toward?) or too (as in also?) not get broken into.

Maybe that this is "plain English" from Chaucer's time?

Andy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
From back in the day when knee high gutters were standard..... Only catching about 800 square feet of roof; 1.5m in Boulder. Quick glance around and and holy chit- wish I took pictures of it all, full 3" wide crack and about 6" heave on the whole garage slab, etc.....

1st house, 'starter' home

·
Registered
GC
709 Posts
Discovered yesterday that the place I'm working on has all of the down spouts dumping into a French drain next to the foundation. It's actually more like a leach field as there isn't an outlet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Reminds me of a job repairing strucure and laying new trex on a porch..... they could never figure out why it was moldy right in front of the door. Turns out their sump discharge was just stubbed right there for 12 years. It was a cookie cutter subdivision with the same errors on every house.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
Got a contract sent to me from my handyman job. I'm not sure this is covered under my insurance, nor do I wish it to be. Can you find the missing "S"?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
With the dryer vent I tend to agree. Gas line.... heeellllll no.

8481 - 8500 of 8540 Posts