Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

321 - 340 of 8357 Posts

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Not that I have many nice things to say about someone who builds a log cabin using a 'kit' anyways... But this is by far the funniest failure I have ever seen. :laughing:

I have to say that using a wall log for a deck post is the most laughable of the offenses... Just imagine sitting on the deck, sipping on a cocktail, staring at that crap. (oops, cope I mean..)

P.S. Are those post even fastened to the concrete piers or just resting on top of them?
Yea, the wall log posts made me laugh too. I guess the owner just doesn't sweat the details. I think the posts are set over a pin at the base, although I wouldn't put it past him to just rest the posts on the concrete. I'm sure no knife plates were used. As I recall, they used scraps of Linoleum as a barrier between post and concrete.

BTW, the perma-drunk cowboy (that's his normal trade) that built the deck is subject to random breathalyzer tests after his 4th dui, which keeps him from drinking regular beer, so he drinks non-alcoholic beer at a rate of 2 cases a day.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
BTW, the perma-drunk cowboy (that's his normal trade) that built the deck is subject to random breathalyzer tests after his 4th dui, which keeps him from drinking regular beer, so he drinks non-alcoholic beer at a rate of 2 cases a day.
Will Rogers said "The guy who named it near-beer was a poor judge of distance":laughing:

Reactions: CanningCustom

·
Life Apprentice
1,066 Posts
Here's an interesting owner built cabin:

First of all, when he ordered the metal for the roof, he didn't actually measure the roof, he just calculated out the theoretical length, and forgot to take into account overhang. Solution- remove the overhang:

I should say here, that he only ever had an overhang and a metal roof because a friend of mine convinced him that his plan of using 1/2" plywood spanning the 8' between roof purlins, and covering that in roll roofing was a bad idea.

Can you see any issues with his deck board scribes?

And that's the good one. The rest of them look like this:

I didn't even get any pictures of the worst stuff, like the 2' long deck board screwed into a joist at one end, with the other end floating, Kind of like a spring board in the middle of the deck, or the bizarre framing that I can't even begin to describe without a drawing (Excuse my quick MS Paint drawing):

Here's the whole pile:

The woman that the owner had do the decking on the 2nd story balcony for whatever reason, decided to start at each end and work towards the middle, so there is a gap dead center in the balcony that goes from 2" to 3".
On the windows on the right side under the porch roof, the homeowner ordered too short of windows, and wanted to stack some scrap wall logs in the openings to make the windows fit.

Seriously, that doesn't even scratch the surface. This cabin just defies belief.
Maybe Mike Holmes can fix it.......:whistling

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
So I started a small drywall job today 12 sheets for a long time customer today. The guy used to be a pretty big d.i.y.er, and remodeled his 50's ranch himself 15 years ago. He's always complaining about the garbage material and on and on. Through out the many jobs I've done for him I've noticed some pretty bad hack jobs. But this was pretty amusing.

ForumRunner_20130110_211431.jpg

Duct tape.... Instead of joint tape

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Learned that on the DIY network.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
That log home is amazing. I've stacked a ton of log kits, from several manufacturers, and that just about makes me weep...

Here's a few pics of a re-remodel that I did recently.

I was hired to fix these items that were done by a plumber, who did all this to work off some back child support to the owners.

This shower curb was built with Sheetrock and mastic, and surprisingly lasted 6 months. The plumber actually came back a tore the shower out so I could re-build it.
image-3554980814.jpg

This is the end of a pocket door. Yeah, I always Sheetrock the jamb too...
image-3994035028.jpg

Wedge trim on a pocket door is so complicated...
image-136790211.jpg

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
hamburglar said:
Not that I have many nice things to say about someone who builds a log cabin using a 'kit' anyways... But this is by far the funniest failure I have ever seen. :laughing:

I have to say that using a wall log for a deck post is the most laughable of the offenses... Just imagine sitting on the deck, sipping on a cocktail, staring at that crap. (oops, cope I mean..)

P.S. Are those post even fastened to the concrete piers or just resting on top of them?
What's wrong with building a kit? What do you do, cut down your own trees, mill them, and then build?

·
Registered
683 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
So I started a small drywall job today 12 sheets for a long time customer today. The guy used to be a pretty big d.i.y.er, and remodeled his 50's ranch himself 15 years ago. He's always complaining about the garbage material and on and on. Through out the many jobs I've done for him I've noticed some pretty bad hack jobs. But this was pretty amusing.

Duct tape.... Instead of joint tape
Seems to me your customer watched a lot of the "Red, Green show"

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
He did some tile work in his kitchen, used a space heater to help the thin set cure and caught the house on fire. 60k in damage. And had no home owners insurance at the time because he tore his roof off. Tar papered it and never shingles it so they dropped him.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
A few years back I checked in on a roofing job - there were about 15 guys swarming around nailing and wiring clay tiles at record pace, with about 10 more on the ground. Unbelievable, great, the roofers are going all out to get this thing DONE! Climbed up on the scaffold to watch. They had sent the rookies over the day before to roll paper and flash the valleys and eaves; they started at the top and worked their way down, carefully lapping everything, but upside down. The morning I was there, they had pulled all their crew in to get it covered with tile before anyone else saw it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A few years back I checked in on a roofing job - there were about 15 guys swarming around nailing and wiring clay tiles at record pace, with about 10 more on the ground. Unbelievable, great, the roofers are going all out to get this thing DONE! Climbed up on the scaffold to watch. They had sent the rookies over the day before to roll paper and flash the valleys and eaves; they started at the top and worked their way down, carefully lapping everything, but upside down. The morning I was there, they had pulled all their crew in to get it covered with tile before anyone else saw it.
:blink: did you fire them on the spot ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I remember correct it was built like a pole barn/carport. At this point it does not really matter. But it is on a main rd for everyone to see :laughing:.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 8357 Posts