Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
We were siding a storage shed addition for a client. Level was left in a stud bay, helper was nailing siding. Helper misses stud. Helper shoots through sheathing, into level standing up in stud bay. Would've loved to see me on video trying to figure out why my level wouldn't budge as I tried to pick it up. Now level has a permanent speed hole. But It's a stabila so it still reads true.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
$2 million dollar home in the foothills. 56 Marvin Windows. We were there to install some skylights. Guess the window installers didn't expect anyone to come around and look at the clerestory windows from the outside.

No it wasn't fastened through the jambs on the inside. Just some caulking and a roofing nail at the top fin.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
He did ask my opinion on how to fix. But he is a retired architect, and the whole basement project seems to be fun for him. He already had a solution in mind, that was similar to my reccomendation, and I'm willing to bet it's fixed by now.

We were just there to install a double LVL header for a doorway that was going from 3ft wide to 78" wide. He wasn't comfortable doing that on his own.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Who designs something like that with the window like that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
A well known and popular local tract builder. The homeowner tried to get the builder to pay for the repairs, but that was unsuccessful.

They did come out to investigate, and said it was a maintenance issue on the homeowners responsibility list. Not their problem.

Some of the damage could have been prevented by simply using a building paper as a drainage plane. Or a kickout and gutter at the upper roof. Or not putting that window there to begin with.

Most of the homes around here from that era have zero building paper. No tyvek, no tar paper, nothing. Just siding on top of bare osb.

It now has a kickout and gutter, and a proper drainage plane. I did that repair seven years ago, and still have contact with that client. No problems to report.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Remember back in the day when the subfloor was the lumber that was use to form the basement walls? We are just spoiled today with floor sheeting and someone else doing the concrete work. :laughing:
A commercial GC I used to work for won a bid to build a brand new historical home for an educational site.

We were supposed to do all of the excavation and form and pour with 1x planks for the foundation, then reuse all of that for the framing etc. It was also to be built with a working gas light system. I was really looking forward to this project, but got transferred to a different project before this one started. I'm still bummed about that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts