Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't mind racking 3 tab, but I paper the whole roof and snap every horizontal first.

I've seen it done with laminates and I hate it. Looks like crap.

I never took pictures, but last year I replaced a few shingles on a Barn. Owner had had shed, barn, and house all redone year before. In replacing about 4 blown off shingles I found three places with nails right under the bleeder....

I often wonder how long it'll be till his house leaks.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Driftweed said:
at least caulk it....geez
I did some base for a friend one time. Left out two pieces so he could put in a baseboard heater. He comes back at me later, complaining about me not cutting mitres in the last corner. I explained to him that I planned to cope them when I put them in

He said "don't worry about it. I put the pieces in and caulked the gap."

I haven't dared to go back and look.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Driftweed said:
I have no idea... another pic same wall This was at a McDonalds
That explains it. I don't think I've ever seen a good tile job in a fast food joint. Heck, there's a tim Hortons here that if you aren't careful you can trip over the tile lips.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I hate those cheap little drywall bits with the collars. I find they end up cutting a ring in the paper around the screw, and it's a pain in the ass to fix.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
F this guy. I just don't get how you can be that bad and think its ok to keep going.
You should have seen how bad the filling was in my bathroom when I bought my house. I think the guy had heard of sandpaper. Never used it, but he'd probably heard of it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This bathroom reno became a little more involved than expected. The old toilet 4" cast line was cut into all the 2x8 joists. There was about 3/4" of joist left, right at the bearing point before a 2' cantiliver! zoom in to see, it's a bad photo. One joist had a 4' section cut out. I've already sistered that one.

What was even holding up the exterior wall, which supports a second floor and roof, and a deck rim joist? Actually, a lot... all the 1x8 sheathing, and the 2x8 rim joist probably do a pretty good job.

Obviously lots of redundancy built into structures, but I'll be doing some work to this prior to laying tile.
Makes you wonder about people. It's not an uncommon thing, either. I've run into similar ones before.
The last one was rotting as well. Smh.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've had cities react both ways in that. It comes up often because all guards here are required to be 42" high. Sometimes I can get away with 36" guards if the deck is 30" or lower.
Here its 24" before needing a railing.
Under 72" is a 36" railing
Over 72" is 42"
Commercial is required 42" with graspable handrails on both sides anytime there's a railing.

And spindles close enough to prevent a 4" cylinder from passing between.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts