Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
These pictures don't do justice for the mess this guy is in. My brother called today telling me his crew is roughing in plumbing on a 4k sqft. new home with a sinking foundation. The builder will need to spend upwards to $100k in cement pylon work to fix it. Wonder how the plumbing and the windows that were being installed today will do with that fun...some places were 2" out of level in 5'.... No clue how he thought building on a muck field was a good idea.

Attachments

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
Wait that's a new build and they already have to spend 100k to fix it?
So I was told... There were framers there today installing new windows and the plumbers roughing in. Brother was told the GC is thinking of going after the guy who sold him the lot...good luck. GC sounds like he's missing a few marbles.

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
I don't see why the builder would proceed with work before the settling is corrected. He could be adding to the problem cost wise if the foundation work goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right, I think everyone sane is thinking this. My brother's crew was pulled off the job until it's fixed.

Update: Builder brought in 10s of thousands of fill sand to do an "on grade" septic and fill in the muck that was pulled out. Yeah, it didn't perk.

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
I have no words....
this might work...
First and second pic, erm no go on "beam", as far I can tell.
Third picture, rim joist as beam?, hard to tell in pic but that needs to be an LVL or something looking at those joists.

Not sure if you are commenting about the 3/4" OSB the stringers are hanging from, but that actually is ok in most places in MI.

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
Hanging stairs from OSB flys here? I had no idea. I'll just say that I would never. Especially some wet swollen stuff.
3/4", yeah. But I agree, I like to do lumber. Problem is, a lot of these production homes pay and provide chit for the work. If I was framing for "them", I wouldn't even blink because it wouldn't be worth my time.

That OSB "beam" with hangered TGIs takes the cake, though...

·
Pro
8,666 Posts
Isn't that under a deck?
Yeah, and there is a leak in the corner. Here's interior, left half wall corner is where it's leaking. Clients want basement finished, need to wait for thaw before I can fix leak, then finish basement. Best I can tell is water is getting on top of foundation wall and working it's way in. It's a cluster with the deck siting on top of the retaining wall.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 106 Posts