Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 8392 Posts

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is here to showcase some of the worse hack jobs you have come across & took photos of. :eek: :blink:

I'm sure this is going to be interesting & probably humorous to.

This will never leak. :stupid:

Garage built with gambrel roof trusses. The building had no drip-edge the trim was not installed properly or cut properly. They cut the T1-11 2-1/2 "s short of the foundation and stuck a piece of 1x treated to fill the void and siliconed the piss out of it. Needless to say it leaked like a siv.

Who ever framed this deck should have there head examined . The only thing holding this portion of deck are 2 gussets & a horizontal 4x4. :wallbash:

Same deck notice there are no posts holing up this set of stairs which is cantilevered 4' out already . SCARY :cursing:

Only a real pro knows how to use step flashing on a window. hahahahaha What a joke.
What shotty work.

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some more beauties for ya.

This is only one tiny section of a 62 sq roof . Every shingle on this roof was nailed to high. This roof was just done 2 yrs ago !!! INSANITY !

Same roof. Didnt know the roofers were also gutter guys.

When I do an addition I always make sure to extend the drip edge right threw the new soffit so that everything looks uniform. <----(sarcasm) LOL NOT!

:blink: <---- This is really what my face looked like when I saw this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have posted this before- but figure some never got a chance to see it- We came in to help out the homeowner after the "contractor" that they hired left them with this mess. I made the video to show what NOT to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWDdHL2rag

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Kent Whitten said:
Oh yes....let's focus on how not to do things. That's really helpful.
For me it's really helpful, I have learned a lot more, remodeling, than I have new construction. I see something that has failed, and I look at at it and think "OK how could this have been avoided?"
I try to learn from my own mistakes, but if I can learn something from someone else's that's fine too!

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have posted this before- but figure some never got a chance to see it- We came in to help out the homeowner after the "contractor" that they hired left them with this mess. I made the video to show what NOT to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWDdHL2rag

Wow I feel so bad that this homeowner got stiffed like this. This kind of work must be exposed. Nice video by the way :thumbup:

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just one example: I always knew it's important to properly flash a ledger board for a deck..it just becomes more real when you see stuff like this!

View attachment 72565

There is so much of this going on its almost hard to imagine. What I also see a lot is people using flashing around the ledger board and door openings but not installing a pan underneath the door or even worse putting a zillion nails into the flashing.

1 - 20 of 8392 Posts