Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
yoshivan said:
What kind of carpenters I wonder ??? Not ANY carpenters, right?
Framing and finish carpenters. I bid occasionally on finish work for a local commercial GC that does work over there. Prevailing wage = wage+benefits. I know the employers have to prove if a guy is an apprentice. I trim semi-custom homes in Spokane area and average $50+ hour labor rate, but it's my own company.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That's just shy of what I would charge for myself . As a gc and carpenter with overhead and all. If I am doing the rare small job that's not a bid. But I would say as a gc that's a lower end charge for your time. Around here. But unheard of for help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yoshi, are you a subcontractor or an employee on payroll? I am subcontracting to a formwork company for $35/hr. I have heard of very few people making anything close to $45/hr as employees. I am pushing it just trying to get $30 per hour plus benefits with the company I work for. $40-$45 per hour would be a very high wage for an employee on payroll to make in any line of carpentry no matter how good you are.

When I was running around with my van full of tools and subbing to other contractors as a finisher I was getting $40-$45 but I had way more overhead. Now all I need is a toolbelt. I take the skytrain downtown to work so I no longer even pay for a vehicle. I am actually saving money working for $35. Vehicle/tool expenses add $10 per hour give or take.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Bencouver said:
Yoshi, are you a subcontractor or an employee on payroll? I am subcontracting to a formwork company for $35/hr. I have heard of very few people making anything close to $45/hr as employees. I am pushing it just trying to get $30 per hour plus benefits with the company I work for. $40-$45 per hour would be a very high wage for an employee on payroll to make in any line of carpentry no matter how good you are. When I was running around with my van full of tools and subbing to other contractors as a finisher I was getting $40-$45 but I had way more overhead. Now all I need is a toolbelt. I take the skytrain downtown to work so I no longer even pay for a vehicle. I am actually saving money working for $35. Vehicle/tool expenses add $10 per hour give or take.
I was on payroll, bencouver. But like you say I had all my tools in my truck everyday with me.
Yes it seems I was getting pretty high rate but hey like few ppl mentioned here, electricians, plumbers make way more money and why not carpenters !? Besides they only do electric or plumbing and leave a mess behind of them all the time for us to clean up ! I mean, I do forming, framing, finishing, operate excavator, managing the site and clean up other trades mess for less wage than them !! WTF !!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was on payroll, bencouver. But like you say I had all my tools in my truck everyday with me.
Yes it seems I was getting pretty high rate but hey like few ppl mentioned here, electricians, plumbers make way more money and why not carpenters !? Besides they only do electric or plumbing and leave a mess behind of them all the time for us to clean up ! I mean, I do forming, framing, finishing, operate excavator, managing the site and clean up other trades mess for less wage than them !! WTF !!
Not to mention they are normally treated like first class citizens by their employer with 1.5x OT, benefits, work vehicles etc...

This is why I think some aspects of carpentry should require licenses and be regulated... ie structural framing and structural concrete.

·
Pro
76 Posts
I am getting some work off of craigs list..But im working for peanuts..It sucks because i have to take it,cause I have nothing else coming in.I have been doing this trade for 15+ years and i have to swallow my pride doing these gigs.

·
Registered
543 Posts
NCMCarpentry said:
I've never even heard of a carpenter making that much as an employee. The exception being I think local union supervisors make $50. Not saying that's the way it should be. Glad to see someone was atleast getting a fair wage for a while. I'm in Ontario, I realize Vancouver is stupid expensive...
30 to 35 on the books 50 plus running yr own gig

·
Registered
66 Posts
My understanding of the situation is, there is a low barrier to entry to become a carpenter. You don't need a ticket or license to call yourself a general contractor, just a few years experience and an ego. Plumbers and electricians need to be licensed and bonded to be contractors so it weeds out more people. However, most employees of plumbing and and electrical companies are only paid marginally higher if at all.

The wage you were receiving would be a good living wage for this city. I don't hesitate to say most carpenters in the lower mainland are underpaid when compared to cost of living here. I have three kids and very little debt and monthly payments to make but still find it hard to live on what I am making. But I also try not to work more than 8 hours a day so that I can have a stable home life. I have done the workaholic thing trying to juggle a business and a family and have decided it is not for me right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My understanding of the situation is, there is a low barrier to entry to become a carpenter. You don't need a ticket or license to call yourself a general contractor, just a few years experience and an ego. Plumbers and electricians need to be licensed and bonded to be contractors so it weeds out more people. However, most employees of plumbing and and electrical companies are only paid marginally higher if at all.

The wage you were receiving would be a good living wage for this city. I don't hesitate to say most carpenters in the lower mainland are underpaid when compared to cost of living here. I have three kids and very little debt and monthly payments to make but still find it hard to live on what I am making. But I also try not to work more than 8 hours a day so that I can have a stable home life. I have done the workaholic thing trying to juggle a business and a family and have decided it is not for me right now.
Bencouver, True. I totally agree with you and I'm similar situation to yours. I am the only one work in my household though, you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not to mention they are normally treated like first class citizens by their employer with 1.5x OT, benefits, work vehicles etc...

This is why I think some aspects of carpentry should require licenses and be regulated... ie structural framing and structural concrete.
Agreed, and finishing carpenter ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bencouver, True. I totally agree with you and I'm similar situation to yours. I am the only one work in my household though, you?
Yes we are a one income household. I look forward to the day my wife can bring in another income. My kids are 6, 4 and 2 so it will be a while yet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Anyone care to put there two pennies of what there paying there guys???

General Labor no to min skill no tool except for maybe a bag. $10-12.50/h

Skilled Labor / apprentice the guy that can do things in repetitive manner. You know the type the lead carpenter show once and moves on the next skilled task. Can follow a list of things and work comfortably with out bugging you every 10min with a question of how to this and that.
16-20/h

Lead / Master / Journeyman / Mechanic this is the guys that handles plans, layout, framing, finish work problem solver, and manages a 1-3 or 5 guys? And still keeps the bags on. $25-35.

I'm not taking union or large outfits that have 20+ guys. I'm talking Mom and Pop Owner operator hands on with small crew less then 10.

Did I miss tier? I don't mean management.:whistling:whistling:whistling
same pay rate around here. except every guy we try hiring off craigslist wants $20-25\hr and can't read a speed square.

·
Carpenter
56 Posts
My former employer, who I do a lot of sub work for, is a large, high end residential contractor. His lead guys make 45-50 per hour, but they run the job and have a crew of 3 to 5 guys. Carpenters are in the 35-40 per hour range. Laborers make 15-20 per hour. All employees have 8 paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation and mileage allowance if you use your truck to pick up materials or equipment. He has 23 guys and more work than anyone else in the area.

As a sub I bill out at 75 per hour, with my own van, tools and insurance. If he needs me to stick around a while and run the finish portion of a job I will bill out at 90 per hour.

This is not typical though. Most guys I know who work for other companies are topping out at about 32 per hour.

http://Facebook.com/DMJCarpentryllc.com

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My former employer, who I do a lot of sub work for, is a large, high end residential contractor. His lead guys make 45-50 per hour, but they run the job and have a crew of 3 to 5 guys. Carpenters are in the 35-40 per hour range. Laborers make 15-20 per hour. All employees have 8 paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation and mileage allowance if you use your truck to pick up materials or equipment. He has 23 guys and more work than anyone else in the area.

As a sub I bill out at 75 per hour, with my own van, tools and insurance. If he needs me to stick around a while and run the finish portion of a job I will bill out at 90 per hour.

This is not typical though. Most guys I know who work for other companies are topping out at about 32 per hour.

http://Facebook.com/DMJCarpentryllc.com
that's insane. I've never heard of anyone making/paying that in NJ.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts