Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't like general contractors, they are not needed. of the forty i know, 1 i consider useful.
let me explain:

they are needed on big jobs to organise everyone and sometimes on smaller jobs that involve many things happening at once.

15 yrs ago their was GC's, Contractors, and subs, etc...
everyone had their place.
nowadays, everyone and their mom is a GC.
wtf.
a plumber thats also a gc, :rolleyes:
with work as it is now, its a pain when 1 calls and all there is to do is masonry.
just pass the work on to me, i don't need you to order materials for me to get a cut for you,
i know you have probably 10 mixers and 50thousand ft. of scaffolding sitting in the yard, not my business.

i will explain further.

i get a call thursday from a gc for a "very important work" that i can only do. tells me not to speak of price and if forced to add 50%.
a red flag pops up in my head.
i go see this job.
1500sq.ft. of stone and brick on an exterior retaining wall. the foundation the ho done did. its about a 15k job
the ho turns out to be someone that worked for my dad back in the day.
but i don't say nothing.

so after the gc talk really good about himself, he gets the classic call on his iPhone and saids, it an emergency, I'm needed elsewhere.

after he leaves the old geezer pulls out a bottle of grappa(901 prima uva)
and we start the bulshìtting.
i ask him wtf with that guy and he saids its his wifes nephew.
i ask him why doesn't he do and his reply was, with all the money i have,

we downed that bottle and all i remember is yesterday that jackass of a gc wakes me up and my head is hurting.
tells me i am a prick for cutting him out.
i tell him i never gave a price as we polished off that bottle

he saids his client called and cancelled, idont know nothing about that.

seems he went to his aunt that morning with a bid for 25k.

sorry for the rant
but wtf
most of yous are useless, ;)

you don't really know how to do anything,
except call me a hack.
go find a dam, or a hospital to build or something

leave us alone

must be still the hangover talking

everybody has their place, most in the middle of the ocean

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Keep getting drunk with the homeowners and talking **** on the guys who get and sell your work. I agree with the gc. You are a prick. I'd say that to and kick off the job any sub who did that to me too and. Have done so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Around here if there is only drywall to be done or only painting and the GC doesnt have a guy in house to do it he will more often than not just pass on the work. And the drywall/painting/masonry/whatever contractor will usually return the favor with sending work GCs way....or maybe a gift card or somethin.

edit: my comment is unrelated to the rest of your crazy post lol

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Well, what you did is certainly questionable, but who GC's a single trade job?
I sub them out all the time. This is how its goes.

I get a call for something I don't want to do.

I call one of my subs that would like the work.

He gives me a price.

I give the ho a price.

I sign contract with ho, and sub.

Job gets done, everyone is happy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Every general contractor I know does small stuff himself or in house. My question would be.....who needs a mason, it's just brick and mortar. I think every GC should be schooled and knowledgeable in every scope of residential contracting. If I need a faucet soldered in, I do it, if I need another electrical box, we run it, if we need small concrete pour, we do it.

I really think the question should be... Why do GC's need you? I mean for real, it's spreading liquid soup and waiting for it to dry......how hard can it be? You should be glad someone was willing to give you work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow!! Don't really know what to say.

How may jobs (big or small) do you think don't have multiple things going on? Most of our jobs have multiple trades going on, whether it be carpentry, insulation, electrical, plumbing, etc. I think you need to start associating with a better crowd of G.C.'s

Aghhh masons and stone workers!! Who needs them.
As soon as the GC leaves they just go and get drunk on the job. :whistling

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, what you did is certainly questionable, but who GC's a single trade job?
infact, pass it along.
for a (i)phone call wants 10k.
and I'm a prick?
times are bad and there is no need for thievery.

its right to make a buck, a buck
i don't tailor to idiots or imbeciles.
if they would of agreed(not everybody's stupid) to his bid, there are people that would do it for half as much as me

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Every general contractor I know does small stuff himself or in house. My question would be.....who needs a mason, it's just brick and mortar. I think every GC should be schooled and knowledgeable in every scope of residential contracting. If I need a faucet soldered in, I do it, if I need another electrical box, we run it, if we need small concrete pour, we do it.

I really think the question should be... Why do GC's need you? I mean for real, it's spreading liquid soup and waiting for it to dry......how hard can it be? You should be glad someone was willing to give you work.
When it comes to plumbing and electrical work, unless you have the licensing for it, you really aren't supposed to be doing it.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts

The fact that you think that way is why you should always call someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Spreading soup and letting it dry huh? Liquid soup at that...???

Boy oh boy am I ever lucky I know some GC's. They know everything...the rest of us are only intelligent enough to know about one thing.

What was that about a little bit of knowledge?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
infact, pass it along.
for a (i)phone call wants 10k.
and I'm a prick?
times are bad and there is no need for thievery.

its right to make a buck, a buck
i don't tailor to idiots or imbeciles.
if they would of agreed(not everybody's stupid) to his bid, there are people that would do it for half as much as me
Are you drinking your hangover away? :laughing:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Wow!! Don't really know what to say.

How may jobs (big or small) do you think don't have multiple things going on? Most of our jobs have multiple trades going on, whether it be carpentry, insulation, electrical, plumbing, etc. I think you need to start associating with a better crowd of G.C.'s
It's a retaining wall...the footing was already poured. If some of you guys don't think it's disgraceful to try and get $10k from your aunt and uncle by making a phone call...that's nuts.

As for GCing a one trade project...why not just pass the work along...I'm sure your subs will reciprocate

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
I'm not a fan of the paper GC's. I don't mind and am one myself a GC that does a lot of the work on a project. Licensed trades get subbed and some other things too. Rest I can just keep in house.

I don't, will not and see no reason why I would ever GC a one trade job. I mean if I did that and my sub with his lettering on his truck shows up I think the HO would be confused. I'm not out to screw people. I simply make the call to a sub and let them get the work. They are very grateful for that and give me great prices on jobs for that plus make my jobs a priority when I call them.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts