Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Claims Consultant
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mold Quick Fixes and Myths

The only true remediation is physical removal of the impacted building materials. It is not fogging or ozone. They will get you with their cheap estimates and empty promises. If you have mold growth in your walls on your studs and plate boarding with wet insulation, how does fogging get behind your walls, dry up the water, remove the wet insulation and clean and encapsulate the studs??? Simple stuff. They will tell you they have a miracle enzyme that can eradicate mold throughout your home with a hefty lifetime warranty or guarantee, on their letterhead of course. Oh and it is only given to a few companies, Don't fall for it, there are no short cuts or quick fixes.

Bleach is also not a cure all. If you have mold in your shower in the grout or caulking and you spray a product with bleach, it will look as though the mold has been removed. Actually what you have done is bleach the mold and you have also fed it. Please note the mold will reappear days later due to the water source in the shower. Bleach is 99% water, which is what mold needs to survive. It really can only work on non porous surfaces like showers, tubs and counter tops. But it can not get into porous surfaces to kill the roots.

Your contents count as well. They should not be packaged or bagged up and left. They need to be cleaned and addressed as well. The CDC reports on contents that have suffered water or mold damage "when in doubt, throw it out". Once the area is remediated and the testing shows the area has passed a clearance test. If your contents were never cleaned and you re-introduce them in into the area you can cause cross contamination.

Never, never, never let a mold remediation company test their own work. It is a huge conflict of interest, even if they take it to an accredited laboratory. It is also not admissible in a court of law. Example the company remediates your property; you have a separate company perform the testing. The company fails they have to then re-clean everything and pay for additional testing out of their pocket not yours. It is to their advantage to test themselves and make sure they pass. You then are stuck with a false sense of relief and should the mold problem amplify, you may be on the hook to pay another company to remediate the right way. This is a serious issue, there are so many companies out there whom I will call pretenders. When you call make sure the company has the pictures of jobs they have performed and the testimonials and experience to match.
:clap:

·
breyedrooster
4 Posts
aahh moold

like your thoughts thats why tile and wall mat are going to non organic i would like to say that a good treatment to some apps on new pine is pure pool clorine sorry spelling isnt my talent

·
breyedrooster
4 Posts
its not pores

its the organic mat like paper backed sheet rock or wood and the dirt that came from clay its all organic the paper on insulation i dont like the idea of polyvinylechloride wood or plastic as a vapor barrier use new mold guard sheet rock made with fiberglass backing instead of paper

·
Super Moderator
10,524 Posts
I think I heard somewhere that there are no proven long term health problems associated with mold. People with respiratory problems such as asthma are affected the most but the affects are immediate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts