Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand why we put thinset under the CBU. But is it actually supposed to stick to the substrate or uncouple? I say uncouple, This has been on ongoing argument with a fellow tile man.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If it is supposed to uncouple, good luck.

I once had a small piece of durock stuck to 3/4" osb which I had removed after the fact. It wouldn't be any fun to get the two separated.

I think it can flex enough that it doesn't need to uncouple.

Also, are the fasteners supposed to uncouple as well?

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Uncoupling membranes, as I understand them, are set with a modified thinset.

I've heard all this stuff about leaving space between underlayment and debates about which iso-membrane is the best.

If the subfloor doesn't fluctuate wildly in temperature and humidity, iso membranes are superfluous.

They are "more flexible" than CBU's, but if the subfloor isn't moving to begin with as a result of a controlled environment, then why?

I still thinset and mastic CBU's down as per manufactures specs.

If the tile cracks, i don't want any of the manufacturers to to be able to point in a circle, and me be left stuck holding the bag.

I want to be able to testify in court, if I have to, that I followed the MANS SPECS to the letter.

You're original question of thinset under an uncoupling membrane:

Does it make senses?

Yes and no.

To glue it down, yes.

To act as another layer of uncoupling on a troubled floor, No.

But to me, schluter and wedi shower systems don't make sense either.

...but that's another thread, thoroughly debated here already.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Just wanted to clarify on the modified unmodified thing. Check the ditra install guide and it specd latex pc cement for the bedding layer and unmodified for ceramic porcelain and natural stone.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I understand why we put thinset under the CBU. But is it actually supposed to stick to the substrate or uncouple? I say uncouple, This has been on ongoing argument with a fellow tile man.
According to JB:

"• Cement Backer Boards

Cement backer boards, such as PermaBase, Wonder Board, Durock, Hardi-backer, and others are used to “uncouple” a tile installation from the subfloor below. Before they are fastened, CBUs, as they are called, are bedded in thin set mortar, which is the usual adhesive used in setting floor tiles. The panels are then nailed or screwed to the subfloor following manufacturers’ specific directions. CBUs do NOT improve the stiffness or structural value of the floor."

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Inner10 said:
According to JB: "• Cement Backer Boards Cement backer boards, such as PermaBase, Wonder Board, Durock, Hardi-backer, and others are used to “uncouple” a tile installation from the subfloor below. Before they are fastened, CBUs, as they are called, are bedded in thin set mortar, which is the usual adhesive used in setting floor tiles. The panels are then nailed or screwed to the subfloor following manufacturers’ specific directions. CBUs do NOT improve the stiffness or structural value of the floor."
JB ? John Bridge is that a Mans Name, company, I know of the website, maybe 10 minutes I've been on it.
Anyway from what I've learned CBU installed properly screwed down, nailed, thinsetted is not an "uncoupling" system. When you fasten it to substrate it becomes "one",
If you lay CBU on top unfastened the two may move independently of one another, not that it will work but the example is the explanation.
A flat sheet membrane also is not an. "Uncoupling" membrane , the uncoupling takes place above the flat portion of schluter where the bridging above works independently to some extent to what's going on below.
I would say something like the way buildings in quake zones are built with a flex system between two rigid materials.
It's all in the numbers, the amounts of flexibility they need to achieve objective.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
TileWizard said:
Neither!, although a good thinset will certainly "stick".
Thinset under CBU, IMO, is there to ensure that their are no voids between the subfloor and CBU.

CBU is used because it creates a better bond to tile vs plywood and is dimensionally stable, meaning it won't swell or shrink due to moisture.

On a funny note, I watched part of a Holmes on homes episode where they laid CBU over a plywood subfloor...then installed ditra. Took me a few minutes to realize why..... Durock and Schluter sponsor the show!

Finally, if you like ditra, which I do, you'll love Laticrete stratamat!!

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know its not uncoupling like a ditra, I wasn't sure what word to use. This came about because of the advantech subfloor. Thinset doesnt stick to it. I said it doesn't have to permanently stick.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I see so many discrepancies on TV, does he still have a show?
I watched Lizard Lick and thought it was funny so one sat or sun I watched 3 back to back and figured out it was dramatized and kinda dumb.
I think I'm over all those BS shows, flip em!

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
MIKE ANTONETTI said:
I see so many discrepancies on TV, does he still have a show? I watched Lizard Lick and thought it was funny so one sat or sun I watched 3 back to back and figured out it was dramatized and kinda dumb. I think I'm over all those BS shows, flip em!
Pretty sure he's still on the air hawking whatever products that give him $$ to do so

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard the same as Jarvis, the thinset is only there to fill any voids between the CBU and plywood, not to hold down the CBU, the fasteners do that. I've also heard that cheap thinset can be used for this, doesn't have to be modified.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts