Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems maybe every six months I get one of the gnarly go white in the face painful experiences on the jobsite. Now I know many of you have many serious injuries, and those are just the chits, but I'm talking about those holy crap that hurt, do the I'm not going to faint dance... then get back at it.

A few months ago it was a full on thumb blast with the framing hammer, instantly blew up my thumb, blood shot out like I hit a tomato... still have a lump on the thumb, kinda deformed.

Butt today, crap. Was scrappin out some wood with folded over 16's, tossin em into the dump trailer, and one hooked my middle finger at first joint from tip on inside and came out the tip under the nail. Board was maybe three or four feet so had a lot of force yankin on my poor finger. Freaked for a second, then manned up and pulled it out.

GD that hurt. Oh well, 6 more months till next beatin.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
It's a brutal business....:whistling

Just look at jaws, Prestige R&D, rs electric....just to name a few:thumbsup:

Pain is what wakes me up.....:thumbup:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I started by doing things by myself and even when I hired guys I would still do things myself without help...got the scars on the lower back now.

I can't carry much over 20 lbs any great distance without the back and legs telling me this isn't going to happen today.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I started by doing things by myself and even when I hired guys I would still do things myself without help...got the scars on the lower back now.

I can't carry much over 20 lbs any great distance without the back and legs telling me this isn't going to happen today.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:You've got Nick...:thumbup::whistling

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Pay attention to what you're doing and the accident rate will drop.:thumbsup:

I used to be hell on my hands but wised up and started wearing gloves when doing jobs that was tough on them and didn't require great finger mobility. If I'm going to be on my knees for any length of time I put on knee pads. Wear good work boots. Protect your eyes.

Construction is tough on the body and there is plenty of opportunities to get injured but you can reduce the risk if you keep aware of your surroundings and work smart. Most of my injuries have come about by doing things that I knew I shouldn't do.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I've had 3 really bad accidents. I finally had one that was actually caused by my stupidly. The other two were caused by someone else.

I refer them as

"big papi hits a homer off my ribs"

"big papi hits a homer off my face"

and

"skydiving to the concrete slab without a parachute"

That last one really fockin hurt.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yup...Compressed disks L1-L4 , Nerve damage in the neck that make arms go numb , Rotator cuff problems on right shoulder, fractured pelvis, and both knees are shot.
Most from 1 scaffold colapse that wasnt my fault but my stupidity that I have agrevated the pains every single day I work.

I just couldnt see sitting in an office setting, or worse yet repetative work. I get bored way to easy and need constant challenge

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I see the chiro on a pretty regular basis and I keep several bottles of Ibuprofen handy: one in the trailer, one in the truck, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. I buy them in bulk at Sams, seriously :thumbup:.

I screwed my back up and occasionally lose feeling in arms and hands. Plus, right knee is screwed-up. I can't attribute the injuries to any one incident, more the result of many over time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
poor bodies

the middle finger on my left hand
quick list
4 yrs old- chemistry set accident/severed tendon
2007- 500lb bluestone/tried to catch it/ circumsized/hemotoma/shatterd
2008-angle grinder cutting flashing no gloves/knuckleshot/18stitch
2010-16g straight through pointer finger into said knuckle
by then there was enough scar tissue around knuck it was protected
from penetration but the impact required much vicodin

its so fat around the knuckle my gf calls it j-lo
"keep j-lo safe today"
"put a nice dress on J-lo"

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
in the summer it was a full bore hammer shot. not with the face but with my thin estwing handle on the edge of a 2x4. gad damn. if it wasn't 10 o clock at night i would not have reacted like i did. then again. if it wasn't 10 at night this wouldn't have happened....i could not see.
other then that ive been lucky. Some close calls with nail guns :whistling

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
shot myself three different times with nail guns - two with the framer and one with a 2" trim- before I learned that speed just isn't that important.

the last one was 15 years ago

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
"skydiving to the concrete slab without a parachute"

That last one really fockin hurt.
I can also atest to the fact that you do not bounce when you hit the ground. You just can't imagine how fast this happens until it happens to you.

I fell 13' and calculated later that it took only a half second to hit the ground.

Work safe guys.

On the bright side the EMS people have some really groovy drugs. :laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Well, aside from knocking myself out with a cats paw, then again with a framing square, having a 10.5' Van Mark brake clamped onto my left thumb, breaking my big toe with the crossover bracket of a wheelbarrow, hamburgering my right thumb several times, several puncture wounds by nails and shards of wood and injuring my back in three different locations and my neck in another, I can only think of about 2 dozen other minor occurrences that are construction related.:laughing:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Well, aside from knocking myself out with a cats paw, then again with a framing square, having a 10.5' Van Mark brake clamped onto my left thumb, breaking my big toe with the crossover bracket of a wheelbarrow, hamburgering my right thumb several times, several puncture wounds by nails and shards of wood and injuring my back in three different locations and my neck in another, I can only think of about 2 dozen other minor occurrences that are construction related.:laughing:
Let it out Nancy...............

·
Registered
159 Posts
14 years of framing houses has left some of my fingertips looking like grapes. 30min into sheating a 5 pitch roof ( give me a 12 pitch please) and my lower back starts spasm something fierce making it a little harder to breath. Other then that a few minor nail gun nails in the fingers and one in the calf but all could be pulled out no prob. I consider myself lucky. Lots of close calls that left no lasting mark.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
loneframer said:
I would like to hear the story of knocking yourself out with the framing square. Thats got to be a good one.

·
Sawdust maker
181 Posts
I tried to amputate my pinkie by busting the 2x4 bundle strap loose with my hammer claw, the strap struck my finger faster than a rattle snake, went to the bone and have little feeling in it now. Most painful thing I have ever done was had a nail shoot out of a top plate and into my wrist and I couldn't pull it out. Sum buck was in there good, and basically the surgery to remove it did more damage than the nail. Then there is the back aches, Ti-Bone to the fingers or thumbs, cuts, scrape and smashed toes.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts