Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Galv supply line in the hallway had a pinhole leak. Rusting from the inside out. I've been bugging the landlord for a few weeks on this one. He finally came by over the weekend. And I suggested that he just replace the entire run with pex as it is right there in the hallway. I came home from work and he is there with a "handyman" that has a sheet of sandpaper and a jb weld stick.

I need to make sure my renter's policy covers water damage.

Before and after pics below.

Wood Shade Composite material Tints and shades Flooring

Grey Street light Wood Tints and shades Concrete

·
1 on 2
Mason
871 Posts
HACK!!

Everyone knows you need a double wrap of duck tape to hold er in.

Sandpaper is a nice touch, though.

Sooo.... Shopping for new digs?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have rent house and seeing this is it's just wrong. If that pipe busts during the day when no one is home it will be a mess. This landlord is saving pennies and potentially spending dollars.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Yep. What's a few fittings and ane a roll of pex cost. 40 bucks.

Compared to a complete flood repair.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Hackery. Should have used a hose clamp and a piece of rubber.

I am curious whether it stops the leak or not.

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. What's a few fittings and ane a roll of pex cost. 40 bucks.

Compared to a complete flood repair.

I have a few rolls and a big box of fittings. I fix things inside my place all the time but I draw the line at my walls. He would rather do it himself or hire a home depot parking lot guy.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
Forget that guy - let him destroy his building. It's in a hallway, move your stuff out of the danger zone as much as possible, and letter rip! I hate cheapskates that'll do stuff like this - it never works. By the time they're done monkeying around with it, they spent more money than fixing it right even if it doesn't flood the whole place out and cause massive damage.

The one exception I have to enjoying the schadenfreude is natural gas. I had a landlord at a place the gas oven didn't work. He absolutely refused to fix it. I left, someone else moved in and she needed it working so he "fixed" it by hiring a crackhead to replace it for 20 bucks. About a month later (or so) the house exploded with the new tenant in it. Guy I know 2 blocks down heard it from inside his house, shook his whole house. Called me and told me to go look at it - and his description was spot on. "It looks like the place got hit by a rocket, it's leveled". But he saved a whopping 80 bucks on hiring a legit plumber right? Nevermind the lady in ICU burn unit for 2 months right?

I don't like to mess with gas myself, and it's not because I don't know how to fit pipe, idk what possesses people to hire the local rent-a-drunk to do things like that.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
We as GCs can install and run all the gas piping we want.

However, we can't replace a sink supply line. Or set a toilet. Or replace a faucet. Or install a light fixture.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One of the carpenters at work has a similarly shabby rental situation. The landlord knocks money off of the rent in exchange for my coworker doing the handyman work. Seems to work well for the two of them.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
We as GCs can install and run all the gas piping we want.

However, we can't replace a sink supply line. Or set a toilet. Or replace a faucet. Or install a light fixture.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Also ... seriously??? I thought that was licensed plumber too. Setting a toilet, replacing a sinkk supply line, replacing faucet requires licensed plumber where you're at??? That's absurd. Especially since you can run gas pipe. If ever there was an example of how these regulations have nothing whatsoever to do with safety this is it.

Oh - and it wasn't the new tenant, it was my former neighbors wife that was in the hospital. Found an article. Says "the owner" was replacing the gas stove. "The owner" my left foot. Rent-A-Drunk crackhead that frequented his liquor store, but who's counting?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
I agree, absurd. If it's already there the permitted work is done. All you are doing is replacing something existing. Not to hard to detect a leak on a faucet.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I agree, absurd. If it's already there the permitted work is done. All you are doing is replacing something existing. Not to hard to detect a leak on a faucet.
Even if all you're doing is replacing a faucet and there is no permitted work its absurd. The fact they'll let a non-plumber do gas, but not that is mind boggling.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Yep.

I didn't realize it until I was working on a commercial building and was up on the roof and smelled gas. Gas piping all over the roof.

Called gas company and they sent a guy over. He checked the manifold and meter and said his job was done.

I asked about the stuff on the roof and he said that was my job and we could check it, and also run new lines, even in a whole house situation.

I asked him if he could check them since I knew not a thing about gas.

He did. Found some loose pipes, tightened them.

I asked again, yep, GCs can run all the pipe and hook appliances up. Sweet.

Nope, still call the gas guys or the gas stove/fireplace guys to get a safety inspection every time. Sometimes my plumber, but he isn't a gas guy and avoids them.

Yep, it is goofy.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
Yep.

I didn't realize it until I was working on a commercial building and was up on the roof and smelled gas. Gas piping all over the roof.

Called gas company and they sent a guy over. He checked the manifold and meter and said his job was done.

I asked about the stuff on the roof and he said that was my job and we could check it, and also run new lines, even in a whole house situation.

I asked him if he could check them since I knew not a thing about gas.

He did. Found some loose pipes, tightened them.

I asked again, yep, GCs can run all the pipe and hook appliances up. Sweet.

Nope, still call the gas guys or the gas stove/fireplace guys to get a safety inspection every time. Sometimes my plumber, but he isn't a gas guy and avoids them.

Yep, it is goofy.

I don't necessarily take the utility company guys word for it, they're not the people that deal with permits / inspections. But that doesn't mean he was wrong - he very well might be right, and that's insane. I've done it before, but I REALLY don't like to, and generally avoid it. I know how to do it safely, I soap water down everything when I'm done, and I have a gas sniffer that'll detect levels you can't smell - but I still avoid it like the plague.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts