Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago, I find out some schmuck is using the verbiage from my website WORD for WORD on a Craigslist ad.

Tonight, I see one of my pics being used in someone else's photo gallery.

I know there was discussion of this a while back.

What was the consensus on the best way to handle this thieving mf'ers? I want to put an end to this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Im not 100% sure, but shouldnt you have your site copyrighted? If so, i think you have the option to contact the host and have the site remove the plagiarism and photos..

Lots of guys do that tho... Thats why I dont post my work here at all.... Its normally the newer guys trying to jump into the market I think.. shrug

Have you tried contacting the individual in person (if possible) and asking them nicely to remove it or pay a monthy fee to continue to use it hahaha...:thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
This is the letter I sent to my thief:

"Mr. John Doe,

Please consider this a formal Notice of Infringement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Your website, www.stolefromyou.com, contains unauthorized reproductions of copyrighted material originally found at
www.WrightWorks.net. You are to cease and desist the use of this content and remove it immediately. This includes any copied content you have used in your website(s), and any other copied content you are using in any other written, broadcast, or electronic form.

If all copied content has not been removed by Monday, October 26th at 9am, I will file an official complaint with the U.S. Copyright Office, Google, Inc., and your Internet Service Provider. I will NOT be satisfied with minor changes and will vigorously pursue any and all remedies and damages available to me under law for your continued unauthorized use of my content.

I do not wish to see your reputation permanently damaged as a result of a single lapse in judgment. However, please understand I have put my heart and soul into my business and website. To see my content copied and used to promote you and your company is extraordinarily offensive to me as a writer, businessman, and fellow craftsman.

We all make mistakes. Please remedy yours immediately and I will have no further need to pursue this.

Regards,

Christopher Wright

President
WrightWorks, LLC
"

If it's a website, you can contact their ISP and they will likely take down their site. For a CL ad, I'm guessing you could contact CL and have their account suspended. (long shot).

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
In general you cant stop it.

However, you can have someone call up the company that posted a pic of your job, posing as a potential client. Have them ask for more information on that particual picture (in the case of a kitchen, you can have them say "my wife loves that kitchen", and ask to go see it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am lazy when it comes to the web lol...

I just keep my stuff off sites where its most likely targeted by copycats trying to start a business...

No offence to this site, but I bet there are hundreds of hacks coming here.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had my site ripped off of pictures, I contacted my web hosting site and asked them how this was happening and they basically told me there was nothing they could do, So I dropped my website with them. The web hosting I was using was FreeServers which is from Netzero They have a bunch of MORONS from India working there and most of the time they can't speak English if their life depended on it.:rolleyes:
Anyone who has to steal others pictures just shows what type of person they are, Low Life MORONS. Just remember "What comes around goes around!" They will get theirs:laughing:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

"Mr. John Doe,

Please consider this a formal Notice of Infringement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Your website, www.stolefromyou.com, contains unauthorized reproductions of copyrighted material originally found at
www.WrightWorks.net. You are to cease and desist the use of this content and remove it immediately. This includes any copied content you have used in your website(s), and any other copied content you are using in any other written, broadcast, or electronic form.

If all copied content has not been removed by Monday, October 26th at 9am, I will file an official complaint with the U.S. Copyright Office, Google, Inc., and your Internet Service Provider. I will NOT be satisfied with minor changes and will vigorously pursue any and all remedies and damages available to me under law for your continued unauthorized use of my content.

I do not wish to see your reputation permanently damaged as a result of a single lapse in judgment. However, please understand I have put my heart and soul into my business and website. To see my content copied and used to promote you and your company is extraordinarily offensive to me as a writer, businessman, and fellow craftsman.

We all make mistakes. Please remedy yours immediately and I will have no further need to pursue this.

Is it alright if I copy that for when I have this happen to me? God forbid.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I am lazy when it comes to the web lol...

I just keep my stuff off sites where its most likely targeted by copycats trying to start a business...

No offence to this site, but I bet there are hundreds of hacks coming here.
Yes, that's true, I suppose, but they are quickly weeded out or too intimidated to stick around and have a discussion for fear of being exposed. For those who do stick around for awhile they can most certainly shed some of that hackness. You can learn a lot just by reading, I know i sure have. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I would like to see a sticky post created with the methods to combat this, the letters and websites and information that pertains to any of us dealing with this.

Contractortalk is our resource, we have websites, this problem will always be ongoing. A sticky any of us can reference would be a very good thing.

·
Registered
254 Posts

"Mr. John Doe,

Regards,

Christopher Wright

President
WrightWorks, LLC
"

If it's a website, you can contact their ISP and they will likely take down their site. For a CL ad, I'm guessing you could contact CL and have their account suspended. (long shot).

Please tell me you didn't actually send this moronic letter to anybody. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts