Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ......lets hear it.....whats the jack leggest work you ever done?

Come on fellas, you gotta have some skeletons?

What a topic!:Thumbs:

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, I hate to admit this but there was a time, in a low rent district, when I used Bondo on an entry door frame so that the old lady could have a home.

Damn, Bob. I've got all synapsis running and that's the best that I've got. Most of the time, I'm overkill.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mid 80s...I think....Installing basement bath, getting late, one section of copper feed just wouldn't heat, the lowest and bad main.

No matter how many times I replaced it, bread in the pipe, prefab for a quick install......didn't matter, slight dripped it's way in and pipe wouldn't heat.

I was getting really pissed and it was getting into my beer drinking time.

The drip was about an inch out from a new wall, needed an overnight remedy and all of a sudden it came to me like a penguin on crack

I took some burger joint paper cups, tore the bottoms out, pinched one side of the lid rim then strategically nailed them to the wall, dumping the drip one to another, around the room to the sink.:cheesygri

NASA watch out.:Thumbs:

I drove away laughing my a$$ off.

Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was helping out a friend who got over his head on a disastrous rehab for an investor.............

We were short on time and we had a room to drywall. He walks out and comes back with two cases of caulk and two caulk guns. He says we dont have time to mud and tape.

So we hung the the drywall. I caulked the screw holes and he caulked the seams...........No tape no sanding nothing.

I was speechless during the incident. After he finished, I realized that his caulking was much better than his mudding and taping. It looked better than it had any right to. Oddly enough that was my friend's last job as a "contractor".

Bob the cup story is hilarious.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I built a cheap tract house without squaring the foundation. :eek: Yeah that was a lesson learned. Always sq the foundo when a new sub comes in. the other guys were tits on or close for these lil homes.

But it sold 8 years later for 100 thousands dollars more.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
CogentRES said:
So we hung the the drywall. I caulked the screw holes and he caulked the seams...........No tape no sanding nothing.
Nothing ever tops the stories of investors in realestate! Priceless.

A friend who had rentals used to patch the small holes in walls left by rentors with scotch tape before he painted. He laughed the whole time, he really loved his little trick. He would walk around the rooms singing a little song he made up, something about time to do some patching and tear off pieces of scotch tape and stick them everywhere!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put 100 yards of indoor/outdoor carpet in this old guy's basement. Nowadays indoor/outdoor rug looks pretty similar to the regular stuff, the green plastic grass is pretty much gone.

It was a standard stretch in over felt pad. I found out after I was done that the guy picked the carpet because the basement floods a couple of times every year and the Home Depot told him to just let it dry any it would be fine. That works great on glue down jobs, but not so good over pad.

I can't imagine what the place must have smelled like a week or so after the first flood.

I also installed 80 or so yards of decent wall-to-wall on a porch that was vented to the outside through the gaps between the floorboards. Here in MA its a little cold to be doing that.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A developer contracted the frame work on some condos to me, I gave him a bid on the stucco but he thought I was way to high, he brought in 2 truck loads of Mexicans.

All I could get out of them was "see see....stucco"

A day later the Mexican crew leader came into my office handing me his cell phone "Bohb......Dave.....Bohb...Dave"

Dave (the developer) told me they needed scafold so I told Davey, he didn't like my bid now he wants me to rent scafold for them? Daves response was "I don't care how, just f....ing solve it"

That was the wrong thing to say to me.

I took one of my 24ft picks (walkboard), rachet straped it across the bucket of the Bobcat, put 5 Mexicans on it and .......wahla.....man lift city.:cheesygri

Those poor maggots were falling off that building like flys:cheesygri

My guys laughed so hard I could hear them two condos down.

I tell ya what though, the Mexicans that fell, jumped right the hell up and back to work, even the one that landed on his head.

Bob

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what they made, however I do know each had a nice leather jacket and a lot of gold.

Point counter point: But then agian, doesn't gold grow in Mexico.:cheesygri

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts