Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience with the retractable screen Andersen sells for their outswing Frenchwood hinged door? It is an expensive add-on option.

A spring mechanism retracts the screen into a head-to-sill length cartridge mounted alongside the jamb-casing, and keeps the screen taut when deployed. Since the whole shebang is inside and out of the weather, there should not be any concern about exposure issues.

The questions are a.) how does it look, and b.) will it bear up in extended use?

·
General Contractor
8,098 Posts
I have seen it on one house and the guy said so far it was no problems... at the time he had it for about 6 months. Check online and see if there where any complains.

·
profesional handyman
48 Posts
The largest complaint I have with the side rollers is if you live in an area where dirt dobbers build nests. they will prevent the screen from retracting. I only have this problem around Lake Murray in central SC, may not be a problem in your area. I also don't recommend them for high traffic areas. Are really nice for bedroom french ndoor units. Use em when ya want to, so screen to be seen when you don't.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We just had to use a retractable screen for Anderson french doors. The Anderson one on display fell apart in my hands. I told the salesman and he says it happens all the time. Not happy with the possibility of a call back we opted for http://www.stoett.com/custom_retractable_screens. There is an installer here who does nothing but stoett. It cost about $700 installed for 2 units to cover the french door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Retractable Screen

1st of all- I sell ClearView Screen Doors in San Diego , just to disclose up front. in my opinion its the best. Just to disclose. We have made a living replacing the Anderson version. They make good doors not screens. I am not fond of Stoett either- the only other brand I would consider based on quality and coverage would be a phantom. Either one would last, and have a lot of "wow" factor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hop on your thread.

I am trying to locate a single panel retractable screen to go on exterior of a double French I swing door. HO wants to mount on jamb of passive panel only. Opening is 80 H x 64 W.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have one that we are installing on Monday on a double outswing french (Andersen) and I will let you know how it goes and works-
By the way we installed the door the other day and found that Andersen supplied the wrong size flanges with the door (they were 3" too short for the sides of the door!) After confirming that they made the mistake Andersen told us that it would be a few weeks to get the right ones to us! BASTARDS!!:censored:
We already had the old door torn out by that time so I stole a pc of the old Andersen slider doors flanges and modified to fit into the new one-Now on to the screens!

·
Kowboy
2,541 Posts
I installed an Andersen retractable on my house in Michigan. I took it back for a refund a week or so later. Not good; never worked right.

Joe

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have one that we are installing on Monday on a double outswing french (Andersen) and I will let you know how it goes and works-
By the way we installed the door the other day and found that Andersen supplied the wrong size flanges with the door (they were 3" too short for the sides of the door!) After confirming that they made the mistake Andersen told us that it would be a few weeks to get the right ones to us! BASTARDS!!:censored:
We already had the old door torn out by that time so I stole a pc of the old Andersen slider doors flanges and modified to fit into the new one-Now on to the screens!
3" too short in height? Whats the problem? You can always fasten thru the jamb. You machined a 3" piece from an old nailing flange?? Preposterous!! Explain yourself.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
The Andersen retractable screen doors don't work so save your money, tons and ton's of problems. The only retractable screen door that works is a Phantom screen door, they are only installed by their installers. Not cheap but at least they work.

Andersen blames everyone else for a poorly designed product, from the person who set the door to customer opened it too fast, too slow, did not hold handle correctly etc. Switched to Phantom, 2 years later no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks guys, after looking at lots of advice and reviews, I have decided retractable work well in very few situations.
It will be sliding or hinged screens for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I installed one today. Double outswing french. Install went smooth and it worked quite nice. you do need to kind of slam the two screens together in the middle to get a good weatherstrip seal, but I think the homeowners will get the hang of that. They were quite happy with the product and the install.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I installed one today. Double outswing french. Install went smooth and it worked quite nice. you do need to kind of slam the two screens together in the middle to get a good weatherstrip seal, but I think the homeowners will get the hang of that. They were quite happy with the product and the install.
Just wait, see what happens by July.
When you try to slam them, the screen pulls out of the tracks many times, the 2 uprights don't always meet, or they spring open by themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.