Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call people back!

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently bought an old Victorian place that needs work. Not gonna do it all myself, I'm in the process right now of deciding what I'll do and what I sub out. So I'm calling contractors for those other jobs. I tell ya, a lot of them must be already independently rich 'cause I would say that at least half that I leave messages for never call back. Some I even call twice, but if I have to beg them I don't want 'em.

On the other hand, a few call back same day, in the evening if they have to, and demonstrate an eagerness to meet, talk about my needs, produce a quote, ready to go to work. Not surprisingly I'm noticig that the guys who seem to be doing well and have a professional-looking outfit are the ones that call back. Apparently, that's all it takes.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Call people back!

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently bought an old Victorian place that needs work. Not gonna do it all myself, I'm in the process right now of deciding what I'll do and what I sub out. So I'm calling contractors for those other jobs. I tell ya, a lot of them must be already independently rich 'cause I would say that at least half that I leave messages for never call back. Some I even call twice, but if I have to beg them I don't want 'em.

On the other hand, a few call back same day, in the evening if they have to, and demonstrate an eagerness to meet, talk about my needs, produce a quote, ready to go to work. Not surprisingly I'm noticig that the guys who seem to be doing well and have a professional-looking outfit are the ones that call back. Apparently, that's all it takes.
What text are you leaving on these calls?

Are you saying that you are a contractor doing work on your own home and would like them to offer some bids for work you are not up to doing?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What text are you leaving on these calls?

Are you saying that you are a contractor doing work on your own home and would like them to offer some bids for work you are not up to doing?
"Hi, my name is Bob, I just bought a big old place in town and I need (a roof / some masonry work / etc). Please give me a call back at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks"

Simple enough.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
"Hi, my name is Bob, I just bought a big old place in town and I need (a roof / some masonry work / etc). Please give me a call back at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks"

Simple enough.
Yep, thats simple enough. I recently had a few customers comment that out of 9 contractors they called, I was the only one to answer the phone.

Strangely enough, I still didn't get the job. Cousin Bob did.

Reactions: world llc

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where are all of you located? Here in northern CA (remodel) work is so sparse you can bet contractors are showing up & calling back! One lady we did an estimate for we found out later actually got 18 estimates! We can tell things are improving but still not like it used to be........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts