Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took some pics today...other than myself I had help from 2 guys for three days...tear off repairs etc.... comments?

Home Property House Building Real estate

Home Property House Roof Real estate

Roof Home Daylighting House Technology

more to come....

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Roof Wall Chimney Brickwork Architecture

Roof Chimney Architecture House Asphalt

Roof Tile Water feature Architecture Wall

And my $30 SONY boom-box I bought at the local pawn shop....

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Roofing isn't my trade....1 1/2 days and the roof'll be complete, then on to the facia and soffit!

I'm actually a little nervous to read the comments (if any....), I can only imagine what I have coming to me.:thumbsup:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Three days seems pretty fast.You must have good help.

But then again,I'm just an old fart now,so I've slowed down.

How many chimneys does one house need?
Do I see three?
Noooooooooo....sorry 'bout that. This is my sixth week! I only had help for three days. I averaged about 5 sq a day tear off and dry in with repairs (With the rainy weather we've had here!). Then about 5 SQ a day to shingle.

2 chimneys, 3 fireplaces....only one is used.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Noooooooooo....sorry 'bout that. This is my sixth week! I only had help for three days. I averaged about 5 sq a day tear off and dry in with repairs. Then about 5 SQ a day to shingle.

2 chimneys, 3 fireplaces....only one is used.
Thanks WNY,
Now I don't feel so slow.You made an old man feel good.

Neat looking job.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey looks good man, I like it when people take the time to flash chimney's so they come out looking nice.

I run mine similar to you, I just put a mason blade on my worm gear makita and lay a 2x down on the roof on it's side, and work the saw up resting the side of the shoe on the 2x4 and it gets me a strait line into the chimney.

It cost more to do it right, you need the break, the time has to be taken into account too.

I can't stand it when I loose a job, and see the final product around the chimney is a $6 gallon of tar.

Then again, I sleep at night.

Short of that, on the cricket behind the chimney, I'd have ran the cap the other direction but not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey looks good man, I like it when people take the time to flash chimney's so they come out looking nice.

I run mine similar to you, I just put a mason blade on my worm gear makita and lay a 2x down on the roof on it's side, and work the saw up resting the side of the shoe on the 2x4 and it gets me a strait line into the chimney.

It cost more to do it right, you need the break, the time has to be taken into account too.

I can't stand it when I loose a job, and see the final product around the chimney is a $6 gallon of tar.

Then again, I sleep at night.

Short of that, on the cricket behind the chimney, I'd have ran the cap the other direction but not a big deal.
It does look good and I agree that it does take time. Did you run a step flashing at all? I generally run a step flashing and then run the counter flashing down over it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Where is the roof edge/gutter flashing?

The shingling and metal works looks great! You should bid the neighbor's house too.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice looking work.

I wish my roof was such a low pitch. I'm about to take on the same project on a 10.5 pitch. Not looking forward to it.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,890 Posts
looks pretty good the only advice I can give you is you should weave the first course on the valleys, cut side first, then the bottom layer of valley, other than that lookin' good.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I like what you've done, I think your a better mason than me, the rework on the chimney looks good. I also like your brake stand shone in the garage. I bought mine just the brake and I'm tired of working on sawhorses. Good work!! Wouldn't expect anything less from a Kent State alumni. :rockon:
LONG LIVE RAY'S AND MUG'S!!!! Spent many a thursdays there myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks like a long walk to the dumpster on the lawn, i assume they didn't want it in the driveway but extra work to throw it off & haul in. Like others said, it is nice & straight & looks good only i like to step out the chimneys for that prestine look.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Where is the roof edge/gutter flashing?

The shingling and metal works looks great! You should bid the neighbor's house too.
Next phase is the aluminum facia and vinyl soffit (11 sq....:eek:)

The drip edge is installed, shingles overhang 1/2"

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Short of that, on the cricket behind the chimney, I'd have ran the cap the other direction but not a big deal .

Ditto!
I was kinda thinking that as I was nailing down the caps...I wish I would have done it differently, but the transition into the regular runs turned out good ebough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts