Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a letter from the city of Greenwood Village, CO (one of the 20 jurisdictions we're licensed in) which reads:

Asbestos Report Required

All permit applications that meet the requirement of the State of Colorado Air Quality Control Commission Regulatio No. 8 Part-B-Asbestos will be required to provide an inspection report prior to issuance of a permit.

Examples of renovation work include replacement or repair of mechanical ventilation systems, pipes, ceilings, walls flooring (including floor tiles) and insulating materials.

Buildings, or portions therof, that were constructed after October 12, 1988 shall be exemp from this inspection requirement if an architect or project engineer responsible for the construction of the building signs a statement that no ACM was specified or used as a building material.

WTF!

This has to be done before a permit will be issued.

"Sorry Mr. Customer, but I need to cut a half-a-dozen holes in your house before I can provide you with a price for you project. And if the test comes back positive you will need to disclose this at the time of sale and additionally pay me to patch the friggin holes I just cut in the walls that led us to determine that you're basically F***ed. Would you like to use my pen to authorize this?"

This is nuts! :censored:

Add this to the EPA's lead based paint reg and the folks in GV, Colorado are going to see a 50% increase in their remodeling costs.

Hows that HOPE & CHANGE working for you?

·
Banned
306 Posts
Sounds like the unlicensed hacks, engineers, and architects win on this one.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to chase down that "lead EPA" on my 'to-do' list. Yep, I'll lay down the foundation for compliance. I bet one in twenty will.

I can say that my commercial license came in handy. Building Inspector closed down a job, where the owner was using unlicensed people. I ended up taking over the job :clap:. Nice... I want to hug the inspector.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Some might say these new reg's are a strange way to stimulate the economy. If the word tax scares the ones in control, maybe new regulations on different actions will help to get money circulating.

Maybe I am a little too cynical.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Pretty soon, we legit's may be so busy reading all these :censored: new laws that we have no time to actually do any work. Did you notice the one that "Alyssa" posted too.

If big brother is watching. ENOUGH WITH ALL THE DAILY NEW LAWS.

Your "feelgood" crap political agendas may get you re-elected, but it is selfish and will eventually shut everything down.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
RS did that make you feel better? Let me try:

ENOUGH WITH ALL THE :censored: DAILY NEW LAWS!

Nope! Didn't do it for me. It was worth a try though! :clap:
:laughing: Nope it didn't make me feel better either.

But as you are well aware, those of us who really are trying to follow the rules, and keep up with the barrage will end up losing out to the guys (hacks) who just do whatever they want.

All this will actually end up being counter-productive.

I'm all for safety and protection of innocents. I've even done work for elderly people who had me write out their checks to myself because they were having trouble seeing, or tremors, etc. Can you imagine how many thieving MF's have taken advantage of that?

I'm just saying that the government required paperwork will end up being the death of the legitimate contractor in the end. Probably not in our lifetime, but eventually.

BTW-the above is not directed at you, I know you are one of us too and I'm preaching to the choir. It just becomes so frustrating to have to see a new angle to think about every week.

Just venting! It's been a long stressful day in the field.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW-the above is not directed at you, I know you are one of us too and I'm preaching to the choir. It just becomes so frustrating to have to see a new angle to think about every week.

Just venting! It's been a long stressful day in the field.
No need for the BTW. I recognized it right away. :thumbsup:

BTW (that's my own BTW not yours) made a presentation at 2:00!

(you're supposed to post back "How'd it go?")

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
No need for the BTW. I recognized it right away. :thumbsup:

BTW (that's my own BTW not yours) made a presentation at 2:00!

(you're supposed to post back "How'd it go?")
Didn't see it. OK how did it go? I'll fly out to CO to do your electrical!:laughing:

Fine Print: For a 5% charge based on the gross margin of the job. This will be in addition to a whole crapload of other charges.

OK-do tell-did you sell another biggie?

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Uh Oh-my licenses are only good in Illinois. You're going to have to pay more for me to take CO tests:laughing:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't see it. OK how did it go? I'll fly out to CO to do your electrical!:laughing:

Fine Print: For a 5% charge based on the gross margin of the job. This will be in addition to a whole crapload of other charges.

OK-do tell-did you sell another biggie?
The office manager and my partner ask the same question every time and my canned answer for 20 years:

"WTF do think I went out there to do? Here's the contract and a deposit check. Send them a thank you letter - notify the insurance companies to send certs - email the subs the time line - then lets go get a drink. How did it go? - What kind of a question is that?"

I love to say those words! :clap:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CONGRATS! Make sure you post pics!
Thanks RS, It's a little one, but will fill some of the gaps we have in Jan & Feb.

BTW a stressful day in the field is better than a stressful day not in the field. :thumbsup:

You don't think Colorado honors an IL license? I'll check on that!

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Thanks RS, It's a little one, but will fill some of the gaps we have in Jan & Feb.

BTW a stressful day in the field is better than a stressful day not in the field. :thumbsup:

You don't think Colorado honors an IL license? I'll check on that!
A little one to you is a big one to me. My average kitchen is 30-40.

I love the field too!

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little one to you is a big one to me. My average kitchen is 30-40.

I love the field too!
Believe me, I know the difference between "The Chicagoland Area" ( that's what you say when your from Gary!) :eek: My folks have a $100,000 home in Crown Point, In. My first home here was the same size as theirs - $240k! :w00t:

A $40k kitchen there is a $90k here.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Asbestos Report Required

All permit applications that meet the requirement of the State of Colorado Air Quality Control Commission Regulatio No. 8 Part-B-Asbestos will be required to provide an inspection report prior to issuance of a permit.

Examples of renovation work include replacement or repair of mechanical ventilation systems, pipes, ceilings, walls flooring (including floor tiles) and insulating materials.

Buildings, or portions therof, that were constructed after October 12, 1988 shall be exemp from this inspection requirement if an architect or project engineer responsible for the construction of the building signs a statement that no ACM was specified or used as a building material.
Where the hell did they pull that one out of? That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike: Ignore the off topic invasion into your thread - I see you saw this thread!

I have a customer who has some contacts in GV city council. I hope they know what they are doing to property values in GV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts