Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am now in my second year of using Service Magic, (SM) and I am now a 5 star reviewed contractor. I am not going to kiss their ass, cause I figure most of you would assume I work for the company, instead I will start with a complaint. Anyone who wants a realistic review of how I am doing with them, just ask. (To sum it up I land about 1/10 leads, and am happy with that)

Complaint #1:

Service Magic contacts previous customers who have used the service and asks them if they have any new projects they would like to have bid. Then when the customer says "Not really" they encourage them to think hard, maybe they really would like a new kitchen ....someday. So the customers eventually relent and say "Sure". Now they sell this "lead" to 4 new contractors, despite the fact that they may already be working with and happy with another SM contractor, who would perhaps like to bid that kitchen, but MORE likely, and I've had this happen a few times, when you contact them they say "Oh, we weren't really serious. The SM rep just pressed us to come up with something, even though we told them We werent serious" You just paid $50 for a dead end, and more likely the customer is now angry with SM and wont use them again.

Complaint#2:

Soemone visits Service Magic and wants some window treatements hung. Unfortunately there are no contractors covering "Hang window treatments" in that area, but rather than be unable to SELL that lead to contractors, they change it to the category "Hire a Handyman". Now you get that lead, if you service this category, despite the fact that you do not service the category "Hang window treatments"

Why they want to ruin their reputation by doing this shady sht is beyond me.

Other than those scams,...I am happy. :)

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
So I am now in my second year of using Service Magic, (SM) and I am now a 5 star reviewed contractor. I am not going to kiss their ass, cause I figure most of you would assume I work for the company, instead I will start with a complaint. Anyone who wants a realistic review of how I am doing with them, just ask. (To sum it up I land about 1/10 leads, and am happy with that)

Complaint #1:

Service Magic contacts previous customers who have used the service and asks them if they have any new projects they would like to have bid. Then when the customer says "Not really" they encourage them to think hard, maybe they really would like a new kitchen ....someday. So the customers eventually relent and say "Sure". Now they sell this "lead" to 4 new contractors, despite the fact that they may already be working with and happy with another SM contractor, who would perhaps like to bid that kitchen, but MORE likely, and I've had this happen a few times, when you contact them they say "Oh, we weren't really serious. The SM rep just pressed us to come up with something, even though we told them We werent serious" You just paid $50 for a dead end, and more likely the customer is now angry with SM and wont use them again.

Complaint#2:

Soemone visits Service Magic and wants some window treatements hung. Unfortunately there are no contractors covering "Hang window treatments" in that area, but rather than be unable to SELL that lead to contractors, they change it to the category "Hire a Handyman". Now you get that lead, if you service this category, despite the fact that you do not service the category "Hang window treatments"

Other than those scams,...I am happy. :)
Nice first post.............:whistling

·
Registered
82 Posts
I took a long look at SM a couple of months ago. A salesman made several calls to me and I spent a lot of time on the phone with him. I was interested in expanding my client list and I thought it would may work. Ultimately I decided against it. There were several reasons I opted out, but the tipping point came when I did a Google search. There came up several sites that were dedicated to reporting problems with the SM system and many of them were homeowners who had bad experiences with contractors.

I always thought it was odd that the salesman was going to issue me some sort of preferred contractor status that was specially approved by SM. How could they deem me acceptable? They didn't know anything about me. Truth is there was no background check. It was a system that had a lot of shadiness to it, and your post justifies my decision.

People should not go on the computer to find reputable contractors. The computer will only show the contractors that spend the most on promoting their websites, not who can provide the best service. But the integration of the internet and contracting is ultimately inevitable. The client base is becoming more and more computer savy and they want to see everything on the screen. However the business model of SM is a failure and I will not use them.

·
General Contractor
8,007 Posts
They doing that because most contractors cannot stand them and don't want to deal with them, and same goes for the HO because they are being solicited in to unwanted home improvements.
Service magic is running out of customers, so they press existing customers so they can milk the Contractor for the $$$.
You pretty much answered your own question as to why...

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I talked with one of their guys in the office. Talked with him many times on the phone and just in the back of my mind, I knew all the bad mouthing from here and online just said "forget it" to me.

The last time we talked I said " no thanks" and he went off.

"I have invested a lot of time in getting you to sign up with SM blah blah blah"

"so....you think I would likely change my mind after you berating me? How's that technique working for you?"

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
People should not go on the computer to find reputable contractors. The computer will only show the contractors that spend the most on promoting their websites, not who can provide the best service.
Really??? What do you base your theory on? So where would people go to find "reputable contractors"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
SMagic in LA CALIF

I've used many web sourced lead services. SM gave me the biggest bang for the buck. 2008 cost for SMagic was around $2500.00 for the year and I netted approx. 140K gross. They do hook your name up in Google and the likes. In 2009 I had a really bad experience with them in that they would not stop deducting money from my bank account, once I stopped my service, so far as to having my bank account number changed. SM has too many hoops to jump through, you'd think they would be 'contractor conscious' as WE pay for all their non-skilled personel.
Reliable Remodeler always gave me bunk leads and its like pulling teeth to get reimbursed for them. Really one of the worse I've seen for their potential leads and their payback methods. I did get good leads back in 2006 or 2007 but the last few years they've gone wrong.
Renovation Experts or Bob Vila leads were more for a handyman. I paid $250.00 a month (10 leads a month) for a minimum 3 month start-up and got really small project leads. If your a handyman it would probably be worth it.
Craigs List is free. 2007 Biggest job landed was a whole house retrofit off a hillside in Silver Lake CA. $350K. Also same year landed a $450K project in Hollywood Hills for a rockstar.
All I can say is google the lead agency, review the comments. Make sure the lead service has a good return system in place so you don't get stuck with their bunk leads.
My next adventure will be with Bid Clerk and Reed.
News at 11.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Really??? What do you base your theory on? So where would people go to find "reputable contractors"?
Look I have a pretty good website. But, it is meant to supplement my reputation in the community. As I see it, and past history shows, most of my new work comes from referrals of past clients, or when people drop in to one of my jobsites. My reputation is the most effective form of advertising.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've used many web sourced lead services. SM gave me the biggest bang for the buck. 2008 cost for SMagic was around $2500.00 for the year and I netted approx. 140K gross. They do hook your name up in Google and the likes. In 2009 I had a really bad experience with them in that they would not stop deducting money from my bank account, once I stopped my service, so far as to having my bank account number changed. SM has too many hoops to jump through, you'd think they would be 'contractor conscious' as WE pay for all their non-skilled personel.
Reliable Remodeler always gave me bunk leads and its like pulling teeth to get reimbursed for them. Really one of the worse I've seen for their potential leads and their payback methods. I did get good leads back in 2006 or 2007 but the last few years they've gone wrong.
Renovation Experts or Bob Vila leads were more for a handyman. I paid $250.00 a month (10 leads a month) for a minimum 3 month start-up and got really small project leads. If your a handyman it would probably be worth it.
Craigs List is free. 2007 Biggest job landed was a whole house retrofit off a hillside in Silver Lake CA. $350K. Also same year landed a $450K project in Hollywood Hills for a rockstar.
All I can say is google the lead agency, review the comments. Make sure the lead service has a good return system in place so you don't get stuck with their bunk leads.
My next adventure will be with Bid Clerk and Reed.
News at 11.
In your dreams PAL!! if you did that good with SM then why did you cancel your bank account #...Let me guess you made so much money off your $2500 investment that you retired:no:

Reactions: J F

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr Five Star, please don't guess, it makes you sound very UNprofessional, what dreams are you talking about PAL?? I'm just stating facts. I though this site was for professionals.
No I did not retire on a $2500.00 lead service cost. I've run into hard times, as most of us have in this economy.
It seems most lead services start out a genuine service to contractors, but as they grow larger, their staff and/or attorneys seem to take the company in a different path.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts