Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
improving homes
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
That's pretty crazy!

I was working on a new hospital about 10 years ago and the electricains shut the power down on a saturday to do some work. One electrician was working on something and thought everything was dead but the safety light circuit(or whatever the emergency circuit is) was still live. He cut into the wires and got a bad one. His watch melted to his hand, a couple vertibra got melted together, he had some burns on his body. He had to get flown to the hospital and was in pretty bad shape for a while. Don't think he ever came back to work. Some of the other electricains said he had holes blown out his hand from where the electricity shot out of his body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Pays to know electricity

I'm guessing this guy was not a trained eldectrician.....just a guess
 

·
Service & Repairs
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
Here's a hint: The train is made of steel, with steel wheels, attached to a steel rail that sits firmly attached to the ground with steel spikes.

Ever heard the term completing the circuit to ground? Well, that's what he did - he completed the circuit to ground. He grabbed a live, uninsulated HIGH VOLTAGE line and the resistance of his body caused mass current to run through his body.

Let's say his body resistance is 100 ohms and the high voltage line is 6,000 volts.

6,000 volts/ 100 ohms = 60 amps

That's 60 amps running through this his body.

He had no chance to survive that when all it takes to electrocute you is less than 1 amp.

Call a licensed and insured electrician :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
So did the guy live? That looked pretty bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Yes he did ! I saw him on Larry King the other night. His head on fire did'nt even phase him.
Wow, is it on You Tube yet? I searched and didn't find it. How long was he in the hospital?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
The holes in the hands is a pretty common effect. My dad took 20k volts working on a large transformer when he was still a rookie. It missed his heart, so he was extremely lucky, he only had the entry and exit holes in each had, no other injuries. Still scary, it could have gone another path and burned a hole in a vital organ and that woulda been it.
 

·
Project Manager HFH..
Joined
·
3,711 Posts
Wow, is it on You Tube yet? I searched and didn't find it. How long was he in the hospital?
Bob..The guy was D-E-A-D dead...He was laying on top of the train,not moving and on fire....Sure sign of death.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Magnettica

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
Joined
·
55,457 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top