Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a year later we finally got my dads 100% DIY pool started.

He loves to subject me to the hardest way possible to do things though, so instead of just doing a block pool with a vinyl liner we are doing a concrete pool with a hard finish.

We poured the walls this morning and plan on pouring the floor next week. Then the tough decisions begin.

He wants to skim coat the entire surface and make the coves, then paint it with a 2 part epoxy. I am against the epoxy finish though because re-applying it will be a real pain when it is time. I want to talk him into just plastering with a white plaster, or colored if it's possible since repairs will be cheaper and easier to manage when the time comes.

I have stucco'd enough houses, but never attempted a pool before. Should it be done in the northeast, and how far out of my comfort zone will I end up being?

Here is a picture of the walls finally up poured, I am going to do a bullnose coping and walk around the edge with a seamless stamp once we get the insides all taken care of, if I wasn't a big chicken I would backfill and put the coping on then finish the inside, but I really don't want to crack a wall.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
In ground concrete pools are weapons of wealth destruction....:jester:

Have dad figure how to insulate the pool or steal Natural Gas to heat up the ground around the money pit.... ask to see the monthly bills of some house for sale with similar pools for some context on the cost of operation, my brother's chemical bills lead to the demolition of a "free" above ground pool due to windblown dirt neutralizing the chlorine and other chems...the chems = the electrical bill for the filter system, 1.5 HP = 20 cents/hour.
Any tree leaf that falls within 100 yards will end up in the filter system...
Don't forget the 6' foot sue me fence...

You might consider a salt water instead of chlorine pool, the salt doesn't constantly out gas, but isn't quite as baby ruth resistant...:whistling good idea chris....

Rigid foam under the floor and sides, foam the plumbing, when not using, cover it up with a solar heater/blanket. timers on pumps.

Love to see a paintless cement plaster finish, white portland and tints??
Silicon carbide grit for traction on bottom?
Bentonite water stop strips at all cold joints...

If he's got the $$ why not spend it doing what he likes at home?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff, I never considered foam under the floor or bentonite strips, cheap insurance probably.

I want him to do a salt water system, there is still time to decide on that.

I was against the project from the start and told him to just buy a fiberglass one and be done with it, but here we are, might as well do a good job now and see what I am capable of.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
With a little care, design, and adaptable plumbing fixtures, if the cement pond fails, convert it to a fiberglassed in place liner..... A design Safety Net.

"Make sure Dad is spending your sister's inheritance instead of yours.":eek:
the foam coves "fillers" are removable form voids? aren't they? Roll your own with a hot knife cutter and belt sander out high density blueboard.

Did you look at coveless water returns and (nearly) flush with surround grade water fill level... the first at ~6-9" from pools inner wall a formed slit in the walk way drains to the filter system or back to pool under water(another possible leak point(s))?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts