2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started this one today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10"and 12" walls in front plus brick ledge. All brick exterior. I heard 40k of brick, but I don't know if that's accurate.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warren said:
Is this the John Mellancamp "pink house", or the house for the singer Pink?
It's a different Pink.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're setting the hollow cores in the garage this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
kiteman said:
They're setting the hollow cores in the garage this morning.
So are those "core slabs" (deduced from your's and nick's comments) so you can have a garage with a basement underneath? If so, that's sweet.
How's the cost though? Never heard of such a thing.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
So are those "core slabs" (deduced from your's and nick's comments) so you can have a garage with a basement underneath? If so, that's sweet.
For quick suspended slab applications.
We used em on a 5 story building.
For rooms under garages we normally do q deck with concrete or just a regular slab.
Core slab is often left as the finished ceiling in condo units and what not.
Only problem is that since it is prestressed, the cambers aren't usually equal which means you need to put a leveller on top of the slabs to true the floor up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
they are in line when you take in the space you gain for 4 foot more of wall in this area under the garage we have 42 in deep footing. more and more homes around here are going with prestress concrete i would say 25% or so

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
More commonly referred in a lot of areas as "precast plank". Pricing depends a lot on the area. But as mentioned, increases span without added columns, allows a Type I or II first floor that allows 4 stories of wood framing above, and is typically faster than poured in place floor systems. It does usually require a lightweight either gypcrete or LWC leveling layer over the plank. Sometime the LWC is reinforced to allow longer spans with the plank.

A lot of hotels are done this way, and high rise residential buildings.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's going to have a 2100' "shop" below with a 12' ceiling and 1500' future available in the.attic. Not sure if they're using LWC but it's going to have a center drain. I think it's pretty cheap footage all in all. He also was able to truck them the 60 miles himself so no delivery charges.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Interesting. A lot of floating beams there.
waterproofing clear to the top of the foundation, which is not backfilled. I can't wait for progress pictures.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No backfill because of the 12' walls. They wanted the deck on first for support I guess. Also, there's brick ledge everywhere.

Reactions: knucklehead

·
Registered
544 Posts
slowsol said:
More commonly referred in a lot of areas as "precast plank". Pricing depends a lot on the area. But as mentioned, increases span without added columns, allows a Type I or II first floor that allows 4 stories of wood framing above, and is typically faster than poured in place floor systems. It does usually require a lightweight either gypcrete or LWC leveling layer over the plank. Sometime the LWC is reinforced to allow longer spans with the plank. A lot of hotels are done this way, and high rise residential buildings.
We call it dock plank here

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
pappagor said:
were is the wood:clap:[/QUOTE

Funny you should mention that. I was planning on bringing on some more help for this, but not only can I not find ANYBODY, one of my guys leaves with a couple days notice before the job starts. So I start a 6200 footer with me and one other carpenter. It's taken us a week just to get out of the basement and on to floor joists. 150 lf of 12' 2x6 and 2x8 walls for the walkout and 50 lf inside, plus elevator shaft and curved stair wall framing and a lot of beam plate. The builder and HO are concerned because they've got a hell of a lot of bricks to lay before the snow flies. So we're bringing another crew in to frame the main level. I'll just end up doing the lower level including both stairways, and then the pool house, which is a separate bid anyway.

Here's a pic of his "shop" area under the hollow cores. 66x40, including a 12x18 safe room.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts