Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around hesitating on pulling the trigger on an Oliver #34- DSD I found ,- late 40's ,she in good shape but I am not sure about taking on anohter restoration write now, works insane and I still have to restore the 117-A, such is life-:laughing:,..
I may go this weekend to check it out in person and see how things go with the machine and my thought process... , i would really love to get one this Oli. I will say this, if I get my hands on it - she is getting torn apart for a complete restoration- when......who the hell knows...:whistling,:laughing:

What got me started thinking about it more seriously was this,.....

A buddy of mine (Bruno on OWWM) picked up this Oliver 34-SD and is on the process of restoring her and she is almost finished but he is doing some fine touches on her. It is a 1960's machine and what a beauty she is now, but he didn't recieve her that way...:rolleyes:,

They made a #182 (15"Disk),#182 -DB (15"disk/6x60 belt),#382 (20"Disk),#382-DD (dbl 20" disks),the #34 with this model they made both the 24" & 30" disk alone or included a spindle sander -DSD) then the big boy of them all, the #41-DD (double 36" disk)

For your viewing pleasure , with plenty of pictures,Here is the link on Bruno's 1960's Oliver #34 DSD :

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135740

B,

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I've been lurking around hesitating on pulling the trigger on an Oliver #34- DSD I found ,- late 40's ,she in good shape but I am not sure about taking on anohter restoration write now, works insane and I still have to restore the 117-A, such is life-:laughing:,..
I may go this weekend to check it out in person and see how things go with the machine and my thought process... , i would really love to get one this Oli. I will say this, if I get my hands on it - she is getting torn apart for a complete restoration- when......who the hell knows...:whistling,:laughing:

What got me started thinking about it more seriously was this,.....

A buddy of mine (Bruno on OWWM) picked up this Oliver 34-SD and is on the process of restoring her and she is almost finished but he is doing some fine touches on her. It is a 1960's machine and what a beauty she is now, but he didn't recieve her that way...:rolleyes:,

They made a #182 (15"Disk),#182 -DB (15"disk/6x60 belt),#382 (20"Disk),#382-DD (dbl 20" disks),the #34 with this model they made both the 24" & 30" disk alone or included a spindle sander -DSD) then the big boy of them all, the #41-DD (double 36" disk)

For your viewing pleasure , with plenty of pictures,Here is the link on Bruno's 1960's Oliver #34 DSD :

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135740

B,
Be sure to post some pics.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
That's a really sweet sander, and an estimated 30min spin down once shut off? That part would be a little nerve wracking.

Thanks for sharing, now go get you one:laughing:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Will do Cole,....:thumbsup:

Arron,
I would install my favorite piece of modern marvel on her if I purchased the #34 DSD. What would be going on her,,,.....the Yaskawa J1000 VFD, I could probably ramp it down in 5 seconds.........all depends....just a guess...

VFD's are incredible.......IMO,

B,

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I figured a phase converter would have that ability. just wasn't sure.

So in the hay days of owwm, you think they had a solution? Or was the spin down something that every one just accepted?

Edit: my ignorance....
A phase converter isn't the same as a VFD is it?

Like if I say I drive a TRUCK, it could by ANY type of truck.
Is there a catch all word to describe the devises that allow 3ph to be run off a single phase supply?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,537 Posts
Wow I know you already told your buddy but tell him again... He did a fantastic job. Only problem with all that work is I wouldn't want to use it after.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well Arron,

VFD is probably the only phrase I know when it comes to an inverter....
RPC.....rotary phase converter,....... Self made. 3ph power.....

The OWWM folk refer to them in there abbreviated state,,......one other type of 3ph converter is -the static phase converter. It's kind of lame IMO . ,..you loose 1/3 pf the HP from the motor. Sorta like single phase motors with the capacitors to get the motor engaged , then they shut off. We call them winding killers......they Will help activate the "magic smoke", cause that's what they may do if your really pushing your machinery......:rolleyes:

Bruno is doing one heck of a job on her,,,,,almost looks like she came write from the factory,...

They get used Deck,...you just appreciate them a lot more with them all decked out..- no pun intended,......:laughing:

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,
Didn't get there this past weekend, Rochester,NY. I called yesterday and she is sold. .....it was $800.00 or BO , must have been decent, she went pretty quick. An associate of mine lead me to this machine located in Rochester ,NY - it was in a basement- wood worker,retired. It was a 1943 machine- I was kinda hoping to snag it up but it's just as well, I have to much work going on, little time for what I would like to do but ,Maybe after the 1st of January things will slow down and I can get back to the hunt. My shop still needs to get finished,.....ahhhh.....you guys know how it goes sometimes.....:laughing:

I Love this model sander ,....just have to be patient. I lost a bid on a Oliver 20B -short bed ,as this was going to be my first piece of Arn. But just a few weeks later an Oliver 20C was listed on the bay - in Rochester at RIT . I won the bid by a few seconds,....I think shipping prevented some from sticking their neck out. So,...that's how things go sometimes,,,,,I'm glad I have the Oliver 20C instead of the B......much larger and more capabilities than the 20B.

Things happen for a reason....:whistling

That 41DD -......that would be so cool to own but it's just a beast and way to big for my small shop......but it is an awesome machine....:thumbup:

B

·
Registered
818 Posts
Doors, glue ups, slab countertops, etc.

Reactions: mudpad
1 - 14 of 14 Posts