Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
13,581 Posts
Ah damn, wish I saw this yesterday, I'd have taken some pictures. Today I repaired an old skeleton key lockset. I had a broken spring, so I cannibalized parts from a closet door on the 2nd floor to make the bathroom door on the 1st floor operational.
I truly love working with those old locks. One of my favorite things about the trades.

·
President
1,349 Posts
Then I would make you cry!

I have a barrel, about 1/4 full of door knobs hinges and other misc door hardware I'm scrapping that I took out out of drawers in my shop.

This past summer I scrapped over 200lbs of antique door knobs and latches...

·
Registered
797 Posts
You guys would love an illustrated book by Eric Sloane called Diary of a Early American Boy. My favorite book of all time. So many good illustrations of early tools and explanations on how things were built and used. Here is the link. Go to the "look inside" to get a glimpse.
http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Early-American-Eric-Sloane/dp/1887840516

·
Punching above his weight
13,581 Posts
Then I would make you cry!

I have a barrel, about 1/4 full of door knobs hinges and other misc door hardware I'm scrapping that I took out out of drawers in my shop.

This past summer I scrapped over 200lbs of antique door knobs and latches...
You fool!

Architectural salvage! People will pay a mint for that stuff!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When I was a kid my oldman used to flip old villas, like 1900's ones. There was a salvage yard called musgroves and I remember it was all gravel roads and an old billy goat to keep the grass down that used to chase us, there were these large old wooden buildings 3 stories high and they had those old wax cardboard screw boxes all on trestle tables filled with old doorknobs, latches, hooks all sorts of fittings. I didn't appreciate it then but it would be like a gold mine for me now.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The man that built that home owned a saw mill.
He built that that little house from lumber that was milled from the land he owned . That shed out back was a smoke house with a cellar to store canned goods.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Old lock on my new bathroom door.

Door handle Door Latch Wood Hardwood

Reactions: blacktop

·
Hack
3,033 Posts
Thanks, it's a manual that the Penn state college used back in the day.
There's eight prints in the back that are in great shape that were used in conjunction with the lessons in the book.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
We live in an old farm house and live daily with cool old stuff. Sometimes I lose the appreciation of it. Lots of people come here and are amazed at how good condition things are that are decades, if not centuries old. Somewhere up in the attic are the original gas light fixtures.

I'm not sure what year this was made, but my mom remembers warming her feet in the oven part as a kid. I am the 6th generation to live here at the farm. We use this daily, it's quite the nice fireplace. Heats great.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.