Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My trim kit.

First I have a systainer 5 that I made an adjustable insert divider and put a layer of soft foam on the botttom.

It fits my hittachi 15 ga

Bostitch 16&18 ga

Bostich 1/4" crown stapler

And hittachi 1 3/8" pin nailer

Table Machine Furniture Tool

Also with this setup I have a 6 drawer sortainer for all my nails and staples.
And on top of that I keep a sys-mft full of shims and a set of clamps.

Technology Electronics Machine Plastic

Reactions: overanalyze

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Also I have 2 sys 3's for just about everything I need to trim besides the compressor.

I can fit ALOT in those little boxes.

Electrical wiring Wire Technology Auto part Electronic device

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
My trim kit.

First I have a systainer 5 that I made an adjustable insert divider and put a layer of soft foam on the botttom.

It fits my hittachi 15 ga

Bostitch 16&18 ga

Bostich 1/4" crown stapler

And hittachi 1 3/8" pin nailer

View attachment 117709

View attachment 117710

View attachment 117711

Also with this setup I have a 6 drawer sortainer for all my nails and staples.
And on top of that I keep a sys-mft full of shims and a set of clamps.

View attachment 117712
Nice idea on the "taper fitted" (for a lack of better words) dividers. Fits your guns perfect.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Here's everything I got in them. As you can see you can fit ALOT..

Electronics Technology Plastic Toy Model car

Mostly glues, caulks ,puttys, nail fillers, Collin clamps, tape, and stuff lalong those lines.

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics

I have 2 25' flex ell hoses, hilti grinder with sanding wheel, my compressed air regulator and manifold, caulk fun, file, saws, putty knifes and 25' cord for the grinder

·
Registered
506 Posts
I finally cut the handle of my senco so I can stuff it in a sys4. Its a work in progress as I'm still deciding if I want to cut in a coupler and cord end yet or just make a notch in one of the card slots.

Ventilation is another concern. I don't really want to mutilate this systainer too much because it's my spare cooltainer. I was thinking about mounting a pc fan inside. It would be nice to have it kick on with the compressor. I do have 2 empty classic sys4's that i could hack up but I would like to keep it in a t Loc.

Trunk Vehicle Auto part Car Vintage car

·
Always Learning
8,746 Posts
I finally cut the handle of my senco so I can stuff it in a sys4. Its a work in progress as I'm still deciding if I want to cut in a coupler and cord end yet or just make a notch in one of the card slots.

Ventilation is another concern. I don't really want to mutilate this systainer too much because it's my spare cooltainer. I was thinking about mounting a pc fan inside. It would be nice to have it kick on with the compressor. I do have 2 empty classic sys4's that i could hack up but I would like to keep it in a t Loc.
Very cool! The pc fan is a good idea! I would just notch for the power cord and air hose.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
First of all let me say that you guys have some nice setups.

Second let me say that I don't get it.

For small service type jobs I see where having everything in a grab and go type container would be nice. But I don't do a lot of that.

Again not bashing anyone but I don't see the appeal of having a small compressor in a box - how is carrying the box any easier than just carrying the compressor? Also don't get having an assortment of 10 different size screws. The jobs I do require 50 pound boxes of screws, not a couple handfuls of different sizes.

If I'm missing something enlighten me.

·
Registered
52 Posts

For small service type jobs I see where having everything in a grab and go type container would be nice. But I don't do a lot of that.

Again not bashing anyone but I don't see the appeal of having a small compressor in a box - how is carrying the box any easier than just carrying the compressor? Also don't get having an assortment of 10 different size screws. The jobs I do require 50 pound boxes of screws, not a couple handfuls of different sizes.

if i were on a site for more than afew days, a site box would probably do the job, however, for me at least, i go between domestic kitchen installs that take between a day to 3 days, Exhibition Install work, thats usually a hike from the car to the conference hall, and Shopfitting work, where once again, carrying tools from the truck to the job is a hike.

My screwbox has my main fastners in it, and just enough for two or three installs.

My makita LXT gear never came with a box or makpak, so they were housed in a trunk style toolbox, whilst this worked ok, it was never perfect. An of late, i like the fact they systainer now allows me to take what i need, and leave behind tools i dont.

I think its improved my setup time onsite too, as its
1- easier to unload and get to where i am working
2- not killing my back lifting heavy toolboxes from the truck
3- locks together allowing me to get into where i am going fast
4- stacks into my truck nicer giving me more room in the back of my limited dualcab 4x4

I am like you, dont get the compressor in the box thing, but thats because i hate pnuematic tools since i run a dewalt dc618 18v nailer. :laughing:

·
Registered
610 Posts

I think with the compressor you would have a dolly with other systainers on top (guns/shims/nails e.t.c). Wheel in, connect it go to work. Or could be as simple as saving space by being able to stack item's on top of it.

Depends on what you do, there's quite a few times I'm on the 4th story of a building and need one drywall anchor or whatever.

I have always grabbed stuff as I need it. End of the day/job there's always a trail of my progress (nail boxes in different rooms/glue, shims, nail guns).

Not the end of the world, but it'd be nice to have one central location where you can access everything and stay tidy. That's my reasoning anyway. Plus a cleaner work vehicle/more room.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
only because square things stack, and none of these compressors are of a good shape to stack. I can totally see the appeal of doing it, it means that you can put the compressor (box) anywhere you want- on the bottom of the stack, on the top of the stack, etc. I know the compressor is usually either the first or last thing I take out, as it is oddly shaped, doesnt fit on a hand truck well, etc.

I personally wouldn't waste space in a sortimo/systainer system for a 50 lb box of nails/screws. I do keep an assortment of screws and nails for other things, especially when doing turn around- renovations, such as missing outlet covers/screws, small sections of dry wall that need to be patched, a few tapcons for conduit that have come loose from the wall.

Once you start leaving things out of containers or shelving, things get real messy, real fast. Having dedicated boxes, no matter what type, usually results in less lost tools and hardware. Thats just my experience.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

You are right, it's not for everyone, personally I do enough installations that take less than a day as well as service work that it makes sense.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Robinson1 said:

The main reason I wanted a compressor in a systainer was for storage. I was looking for another place for a stack in the van and my compressor was taking up valuable floor space.

It will also help keep my work area less cluttered by storing on top of other tainers. I only do remodel and repair work and always work in occupied homes so it pays to have a small tidy work station. Another thing with working in occupied houses is I pack up everything at the end of every day so the time saved is incredible and well worth the investment.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts