Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's have fun and see what you have in regards with clever, unique & unusual advertising tactics that have worked.

I'll start.

So we have a rule here about advertising a business in your residential yard. This guy who owns a local business decided to fight back.

He bought about 6-7 crappy trailers and put them all over his corner lot yard. Each trailer has wicked cool and well designed bill boards on each trailer. They are on wheels so he can't get in trouble.

I talked to him recently and he says that it is his only advertising. He has no website and ranks poorly on G-Local.

He is swamped with work. He figures he has about 2,000 cars a day driving past his house. People stop and pull over just to write down the number. He puts prices on his signage.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Let's have fun and see what you have in regards with clever, unique & unusual advertising tactics that have worked.

I'll start.

So we have a rule here about advertising a business in your residential yard. This guy who owns a local business decided to fight back.

He bought about 6-7 crappy trailers and put them all over his corner lot yard. Each trailer has wicked cool and well designed bill boards on each trailer. They are on wheels so he can't get in trouble.

I talked to him recently and he says that it is his only advertising. He has no website and ranks poorly on G-Local.

He is swamped with work. He figures he has about 2,000 cars a day driving past his house. People stop and pull over just to write down the number. He puts prices on his signage.
Will you be posting pics?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Blur out the names and phone numbers on the containers so that nobody knows it's you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There was one locally here in Boston...Didn't work out too good

In 2007 an advertiser placed battery operated screens that looked like "Light-Bright" of a cartoon character in advance of it's release.

Apparently the officials in the area determined it to be a terrorist threat against the city. Last I heard, they were facing criminal charges and restitution orders.

here is the story if you are interested http://www.boston.com/news/specials/local/cartoon_devices/

But it was clever

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Every door in town had a hanger on it for a tree service one day before a disastrous snow storm decimated our trees in October. Lucky? I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Another guy that has a large roofing company has a radio spot were he talks himself up as being local and not a fly by night type. Then he gives out his personal cell phone number. It seems to work.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
For a one-man operation, simple photo on your card. Nothing slick.

When I was the manager in the home medical equipment business, there was one ad postcard that always stuck out above all others. It was the one that always made me read it for some reason, over and over as they came in the mail. It was a simple post card from a place that bought/sold oxygen tanks. It was called "tank lady" and had a face pic of her right in the middle. Plain and simple postcard, list of what they did, phone number and her black and white pic. She just looked like she had nothing to hide. I eventually called her up and sold some old inventory.

·
Ink Slinger
158 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
When lived in Tennessee I had a well lettered box truck
displaying my gutter business. One rainy Saturday I drove it to the only Lowes in town and met a customer to buy ceiling fans, light fixtures, ect. for a spec I was building.

While inside for at least a couple hours we were finally in the check out lane when my phone rang, store manager very upset I was using their lot to display my business. Laughing I explained I was in check out lane with my customers with a boat load of light fixtures, bathroom accessories.

He personally came up to apologize and help load.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
I'm surprised nobody else has anything to add.
Probably smart enough to know that their smart and clever advertising took a lot of time and money to implement and they don't want to post it up on the internet for everyone to take for free.:jester:

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Years ago, a senior marketing guy, who did a lot of print ads, shared his method for success. Let others do the hard work, market research, etc. and then copy what catches your eye. He replicated ads as he wished. As a result, his company was involved in a lot of litigation since he was especially brash (it seemed to me). They nearly fired him more than once, but he held his ground. They finally got around to defending instead because he produced.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably smart enough to know that their smart and clever advertising took a lot of time and money to implement and they don't want to post it up on the internet for everyone to take for free.:jester:
Or maybe nobody here does it or sees it. Lol

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Years ago, a senior marketing guy, who did a lot of print ads, shared his method for success. Let others do the hard work, market research, etc. and then copy what catches your eye. He replicated ads as he wished. As a result, his company was involved in a lot of litigation since he was especially brash (it seemed to me). They nearly fired him more than once, but he held his ground. They finally got around to defending instead because he produced.
No he didn't, he stole.

But that works.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
No he didn't, he stole.

But that works.
To be clear, he would page through magazines all the time. When he saw new ads that caught his eye, he would have his own made up in similar style. I don't think that's technically "stealing", but it sure would tick me off as a competitor.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Well he sure didn't come up with the idea himself. And putting your pictures in the same type of ad is pretty close to plagiarizing the thought.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts