Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

If you were going to paint the exterior of a good customer and close relative's home, and you wanted a paint that would stand up REALLY well yet not break the bank what brand would you select and what product within that brand?

Add to the equation that spraying is not an option because of the closeness of other structures and a host of other factors where ANY overspray is gonna create serious problems so your choice will have to be hand rolled/brushed on.

Longevity and ruggedness is the most important factor here as long as the stuff will roll on decently. Obviously being colorfast is important too.

Climate: Varied. No snow, but hot summers with temps in the low hundreds and lots of very direct sunlight are the norm and in winter there are quite a few frost days, 1-2 day hard freeze is rare but occurs. Rain tends to be heavy.

Surfaces: Exterior plywood, fir facia board, some painted redwood trim and on major walls - stucco. Garage door is sheet metal type and exterior doors are steel. Gutters are steel.

Plan: Three coats - 1 primer 2 outer after doing the needed caulking, scraping, sanding, repairs and possibly pressure washing. (btw: If you have a brand of primer you like best I'm interested in that as well.)

Opinions?

·
Banned
187 Posts
Possibly pressure washing????????

Are you kidding me?

You're actually considering "not pressure washing?"

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Tom Rohland said:
Possibly pressure washing????????

Are you kidding me?

You're actually considering "not pressure washing?"

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

So you recommend pressure washing then?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Makes sure the salesperson knows that your going to roll-on/brush. I lean towards Sherwin Williams as they are well respected in Aviation worlds were "close" is not an option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would use the SW Duration, but if budgeting is really a problem. I might try to find some Duron Siding In a Can, they are discontuning the product to move in Signature Lifetime, but its a good paint and way less then Duration but still better than weathershield, superpaint and the like. IMO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all..

CGofMP, Im a little late on this thread, just came back to the forum.

If your looking for a top quality paint, yet have budget constraints, try using SW A-100. Top quality product without duration or superpaint prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts