Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a high milage car today, and it got me thinking..

How far have you taken a vehicle engine? And what make was the car/truck and motor?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My father got a 1983 dodge mini ram to 440000km I got my 1984 VW Quantum to around 350000km

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What vehicle/specs/miles/price are you considering?
An avocado green 1977 mercedes 240, manual, 350k miles. Looks about 5 years old, completely original. I think it will be a fun 'date night' car or road tripper.
Feel free to laugh.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
Several early 80's Mercedes diesels that have gotten to 250-300k miles and more. Engines go forever, trans almost as much, but we would eventually unload them for the accumulation of other stuff. Those are amazing engines.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
An avocado green 1977 mercedes 240, manual, 350k miles. Looks about 5 years old, completely original. I think it will be a fun 'date night' car or road tripper.
Feel free to laugh.
Sweet. I'd take it for $2,500 or so (but I'm sure they're asking like $4500-5000, right?)

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
Feel free to laugh.
Several years ago, I looked at a 300 TD sedan, mustard yellow, in mint shape - original wheel covers, sunroof, everything. My girlfriend thought it was laughable (not a good "date night" car, in her mind). Sometimes they just don't understand.

BTW, that sounds like a very cool car. If it's sound, go for it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
In Ontario they rust out from the salt fast. Although mechanically most of my vehicles started to require exponentially more repairs around 240000km

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I agree with inner, it may keep going, its all the repair cost, my 04 vw with 340 000 on it is starting to eat repairs left and right, 400$ for a switch I dont think so, backlights don't work on the HVAC controls, who cares, I plan to drive it until something major goes then scrap it.

But mind you im also the type to drive it 30 000 between oil changes telling myself it hasn't been that long.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Oh man, after reading of these 300, 400, 500k rides, that 92 ford long wheelbase conversion van with the tiny 302 engine I got new "back in the day" seems just average.

But it was at 275k when I finally got rid of it 10 years later, and driven hard from the rockies to michigan and back. Plus, after 125k, oil changes became more of a mercy event, meaning mebbe every 25k to 50k.

Plus, it was ALWAYS carrying a load of people, or timbers, or cub cadet, and that tiny engine was working its azz off pulling empty, let alone loaded.

That's because back then, vehicles rusted out at 5 years, and engines MAYBE would go 100k - that's if they were driven by nice people - which I am not.

Kudos to the guys with the 300k and up rigs!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I had a 300d. Parts are surprisingly affordable, and MB dealers can get most of the parts in a day, if not in stock. The diesel (other than the timing chain stretch), is about the only thing internally that could be a problem. If it has manual windows, its a plus! Its been about 8 years since I had it, but mb dealer stocked every part- except for a few things like a trim piece. Heck, they still carried as inventory brand new benz-tech seat cover (the fake leather), in OEM colors.

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
I don't unload them by milage, I unload them by age. I'm into the newest luxury items I can get. It's about comfort for me these days. But of course it has to perform as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts