Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The author of a marketing book that I read recently made the point that your marketing message should lead off with the most important benefit the prospect will receive.

I’m wondering if you can help me solve a problem, I’m not sure what the most important benefit is that a roofing contractor can provide.

For example, you could say “Save Money” but that will only work if you are a low priced provider. I’m not a low price provider so that won’t work for me. I’ve got to come up with something better.

What would you say is the most important benefit is that someone is looking for from a roofing contractor? Try to look at this from the customers perspective, what are they looking for?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You will be around for any warranty issues in the future. You screen your help so there are no people on your staff that will make anyone feel uncomfortable in their own home. Drug free workplace. Respect for your customers property.

Money is never ever mentioned in anything I do. Im not ever interested in being the lowest price.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The author of a marketing book that I read recently made the point that your marketing message should lead off with the most important benefit the prospect will receive.

I’m wondering if you can help me solve a problem, I’m not sure what the most important benefit is that a roofing contractor can provide.

For example, you could say “Save Money” but that will only work if you are a low priced provider. I’m not a low price provider so that won’t work for me. I’ve got to come up with something better.

What would you say is the most important benefit is that someone is looking for from a roofing contractor? Try to look at this from the customers perspective, what are they looking for?
You can't really choose "the benefit", just the benefit that you want to claim for your target customers:
  • Low price (I know that's not yours, but it would be first on the list for many customers). The non-low price way to say it is "value", but that's not roofing specific.
  • Peace of mind that their biggest investment will be protected from the elements
  • Installation by a professional crew of neat freaks instead of the usual filthy bunch of tweaking ex-cons, who manage to dump half the tear-off into the neighbor's garden
  • An accurate quote
  • Installation according to industry best practices and manufacturers' instructions.
  • Warranty
Take your pick. I for one would lead with peace of mind, as a stand-in for quality.

- Bob

Edit: As a general contractor, I'm interested in the neat freak crew. I can control the other bits with our contract and by inspecting your work at every step (which I will do no matter how much it annoys you). But a nail in the neighbor's kid's foot, or a shingle dropped on the Mercedes, is a bad, bad thing.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

You’ve given me stuff to think about. It looks like “Peace of Mind” is probably what most homeowners are looking for.

I am working on updating my website and I am trying to come up with something for the home page. I also do gutters, gutter guards and vinyl siding.

I suppose the headline on the home page can be more general and I can come up with more specific headlines for pages like “roof repair” or “roof replacement”.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dryness!

Seriously though, people want to be assured that their roof problems have been resolved. Peace of mind.
I suppose I could start with square 1 "Dryness", but I am thinking more a long the lines of what would make them choose one contractor over another.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It's usually about people, not things. It's hard to sell products, as when comparing apples to apples, they are all about the same be it photo copiers, furnaces, or roofing materials.

However, there is a difference in people that go into customer X's home. When I bid, they know (for better or worse) that I will be there, versus a crew of different strangers. Sell yourself, not the materials

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
MEL, you've obviously been in business for quite a while. Your target market is not looking for lowest price, they know better. I tend to avoid the word value without being very careful how I use it because like Bob indicated, it's often code word for cheap and those of us who really understand value gag on that perversion of the word.

In the roofing industry, over 80% of roofing contractors are out of business in less than 5 years. This means the warranties of younger companies could be worthless. Since you are well over that mark, use it to your advantage.

·
Been around
1,164 Posts
Warren and CarpenterSFO nailed it with "Peace of Mind"

It's a little vague and general, but if you tailor it into how you work your business and sales there is no better message to deliver.

The customer wants to spend wisely, enhance appearance, maintain properly, etc.

If your message surrounds peace of mind, all of their needs are met.

So that's what you offer. The challenge remains that you cannot corral all customers into a single mindset. You need to get somewhat of a read on the individual. They all want to feel like they got what wanted, but they don't all get that feeling the same way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts