Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got yet another SEO spam email this morning, to which I fired off my canned reply:

"Given I receive at least 3 emails and 5 telemarketing calls a day on this matter, you are now 18,743rd in line, even if I should decide to pursue SEO optimization.

Should that day come, I will start at the beginning of the list. If, for some reason, the other 18,742 SEO companies fail, I will be contacting you in an on-going, yet futile, effort to improve my rankings."

To which I received the following response:

ah, interesting. I can't believe you are getting such requests. I think i am the first person.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don't even reply. All those people do is piss me off.
I usually don't, but today I felt I needed a little entertainment.

My other favorite was one who called me and stated, "We're having difficulty finding your web site..."

Me: "Really, how did you find my number?"

Them: "Um, from your web site."

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok real question here, because I honestly don't know. I'm in the process of building a website. Are there any real seo out there that with bring you to the top of the page?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Use Google webmaster tools and Bing webmaster tools to help you. Google has a decent PDF starter guide on SEO stuff.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en/us/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Your host may have some good tools as well.

They are kind of funny: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35291?hl=en

Be wary of SEO firms and web consultants or agencies that send you email out of the blue.

Amazingly, we get these spam emails too:

Dear google.com,
I visited your website and noticed that you are not listed in most of the major search engines and directories..."

Reserve the same skepticism for unsolicited email about search engines as you do for "burn fat at night" diet pills or requests to help transfer funds from deposed dictators.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Are there any real seo out there that with bring you to the top of the page?
Yes, but mostly no. I say yes because it can be done. I say no because most SEO is a scam.

However, your statement indicating that you are building the site makes the answer maybe. If the site is not built with SEO integrated from the start, it usually requires a do over because it's normally less expensive to start over than to fix.

Amelia, that's a great quote from Google. :laughing: It shows how idiotic these spammers are. They not only spam SEO people (I get as many as everyone else), they even spam Google. I suspect it's with a gmail account too.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Ok real question here, because I honestly don't know. I'm in the process of building a website. Are there any real seo out there that with bring you to the top of the page?
Sure but you have to look in the right places.

It is very important you hire the right company. ask people about their success in local markets.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I usually don't, but today I felt I needed a little entertainment.

My other favorite was one who called me and stated, "We're having difficulty finding your web site..."

Me: "Really, how did you find my number?"

Them: "Um, from your web site."
I've done that before... it's funny the way they stumble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just find it so interesting that these people are actually going about their business this way – which (as horrible as it sounds) means that it is working well enough for them to actually be in business. I cannot stand having to listen to their ‘netspeak’ blah blah blah though. I always tell them I am not interested right away.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just find it so interesting that these people are actually going about their business this way – which (as horrible as it sounds) means that it is working well enough for them to actually be in business. I cannot stand having to listen to their ‘netspeak’ blah blah blah though. I always tell them I am not interested right away.
Well, when your business model is to cold-call EVERYONE, you're bound to snag a few suckers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I haven't gotten one of these calls in a while, but the most recent time it happened I was in the middle of a rather long drive.

We chatted for a good while about what they could do for me, and eventually I started to pester him about how he got my number.
At long last, he admitted it was off the 'net. No problem so far.

The real fun was when I asked him what he was offering me to use my name and company for his advertising. It took him a bit to figure out that I wanted to get paid for them having the privilege of using my data.
When he said it's not the way it worked, I reminded him that HE called ME, and my ad has the little blurb that states don't call me trying to sell me stuff.

At that point, since I was almost to my destination, I started to unload on him. "If you can't even read my ad, how can I expect to do business with you. You are lying to me...:censored:" And on for a half a minute. He actually stayed on the line, and I had to end it with "Please take me off your list."

For some reason he never called back.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I would like to know why we cant block foreign countries on our phone,. Seems like a reasonable request but ohh no that technology is decades away...

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
JBM said:
I would like to know why we cant block foreign countries on our phone,. Seems like a reasonable request but ohh no that technology is decades away...
They've actually started calling from "local" numbers. I guess to get a better chance of someone answering.

·
Marketing Ninja
26 Posts
Wile I agree, many of those calls are pure spam, the question remains...

where are you ranking for your top keywords? Not saying to use any random company out of the blue, but if you're not in the top 3 for your money keywords, you're losing a lot of business.

It's worth optimizing your sales funnel first, then investing in SEO. Otherwise, you'll get tons of visitors to your website before it's been setup to convert those visitors. Don't put the cart before the horse.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
What makes my calls a little interesting is that I know more about this stuff than most of the people who call me. So when I start asking some of the more technical questions relating to their benchmarks and PPC vs PPM, etc. they become completely lost and attempt to change the subject. And when they do, I carry on with them and then go back to the technical questions as if it is the first time I'm asking them. Once I hear the annoyance in their voice, I know that I got em!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts