Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

The little voice

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Teetorbilt 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you know the one I'm talking about? It's that voice that very quietly says to you "something's not right about this". It's the voice that is so easy to ignore when you're focused on something pressing. It's the one that you have to train yourself to listen for. It's the voice that mockingly says "See? I told you. Why didn't you listen?'"

I had a rental pump delivered yesterday to start dewatering an open excavation. Never dealt with this rep before, real fast talking guy that knows everybody and their business. He pulls up with the pump in tow and it's already running. Mind you he's just hauled it 50 minutes on the interstate from their shop. The little voice asks "Why's that pump running already?". I take the delivery, he shows me how to start-up and shut-down, etc., etc. Meanwhile the little voice is asking every couple of minutes "Hey! Why was that pump running when he pulled up?"
The day goes by and, as it turns out, I don't get the pump set up. So as I'm driving home the little voice says "I'll bet you that slicky boy salesman had to jump start the pump at the shop and, rather than replace the battery, ran it on the way to the site figuring it would charge. I'll bet you that battery is about as worthless as tits on a boar hog."
Get to work this morning, site is rapidly thawing, place is a mess, get the truck hung up, finally around noon I'm ready to fire off the pump (by this time I've long since forgotten about the little voice from yesterday) and what do I get....you guessed it. Spent the next four hours waiting for the rental shop mechanic to bring another battery and change it out. The voice mocked me all the way home. :rolleyes:

See less See more
#3 ·
You're right. Unfortunately he did do that but the battery was warm and recently enough charged that it started back up without problem. Sitting 24 hours in the cold took everything out of the battery.

#11 ·
Monday I went to Costco (bulk super market) and bought $150 worth of alcohol. It was the voices that told me to do it. I have been drinking since... daily after 3pm. Man I love them Smirnoff twisters. They taste like Coolaid... no real buzz though.

I need this snow to melt so I can start selling some roofs again. All I have been doing lately is chopping ice off roofs and telling people they need a new roof. Ice damns are fun. It's gonna be a good spring.

#12 ·
I saw the weather up there today, makes me really glad that I'm here. Got out of the long sleeves about 10 AM. Going to the Keys this weekend, there's some fish that need to be caught.

#16 ·
The cold and snow really doesn't bother me at all. I've lived here my whole life and am ver used to it. I love to watch it snow. I get excited when I see snow in the forecast.

We have our share of summer heat also... but it's the snow and ice tearing apart the roofs that keeps us roofer's busy over here. Every rain drop and snow flake is a penny in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.